Bass Buying Disease?

Giddry

• Members

I don't NEED another bass (I have a great one.) But all the same, most bass players I've met (me included) seem to be bred with an undying urge to buy as many basses as possible. Why is this? Seriously...what's the deal? I think we need a through medical investigation of this phenomenon.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I am immune from thinking that another bass will help me express myself better musically. I am not immune from wanting to collect instruments that interest me. I spent nearly a decade gigging with a main and backup bass. Then my wife put the thought in my head that it would be nice to have a collection of 10 basses... Now I wonder why I'd stop at 10.

• Members

I am immune from thinking that another bass will help me express myself better musically. I am not immune from wanting to collect instruments that interest me. I spent nearly a decade gigging with a main and backup bass. Then my wife put the thought in my head that it would be nice to have a collection of 10 basses... Now I wonder why I'd stop at 10.

I can dig the collection aspect. It just doesn't do it for me. It would be like collecting hammers. (not Hamers) :poke::p

• Members

You need to be a bass player for that???

I don't NEED another bass (I have a great one.) But all the same, most bass players I've met (me included) seem to be bred with an undying urge to buy as many basses as possible. Why is this? Seriously...what's the deal? I think we need a through medical investigation of this phenomenon.

I own 4 basses, and my bass player keeps a URB and a Jazz at my house. And I look forward to the day when I can add a Fireglo Ric 4003 and a Hofner to my collection..... I guess what I'm trying to say is there is no cure

:D

• Members

I like to get a new bass, especially if it's a brand I haven't owned before, and figuring out what makes it tick. Each brand has its quirks, its strong points, etc. Some brands sound best with a certain kind of string. I like to find these things out.

Some people like to tinker with cars, model trains, etc. I like bass guitars.

• Members

I only have one right now. Every time I mention that I want a new one my band mates ask "DO you really need another?" I think it an intervention for me. Since I have bought 4 different amps in 6 months. I really want a Gibson Explore. Don't tell the band, but if you know where I can get one let me know.

• Members

GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. No known cure, and it severely affects the majority of musicians (some estimates as high as 90%)

i've got it.

sighs... i once made a list of all the guitars/basses, pedals, amps, and son, its took up over three pages of note book papers.

i'm only 26.

i've got it bad.

Archived