How many Carvin fans we got?

fastlikeninja

• Members

yes i know the grammar in the title is atrocious..

i've been seeing a lot of "blahblah owners club" in sigs around here, so i'm just wondering how many Carvin endorsers do we have? i love the company myself.. at least as far as their basses go. never played through any of their amps/cabs. nice guys, too

opinions?

• Moderators

Ordering is one thing. Service after the sale is often quite another.

I have a Carvin LB-75. It's okay, but nothing special. I took it to rehearsal for a couple of weeks, and it was nice to have the extra string, but when I said it was time to go back to one of the Rics, the drummer was effusively thankful.

• Members

I have a few 80s vintage Carvins which I really love. I have a Nomad "vintage design" guitar amp which I also love. I had a Redline bass head which I liked well enough until I really compared it fairly, which led to me realizing how it didn't live up to the claims, and sold it.

I've never dealt with the company directly, always been tempted to, but less so with some of the stories I've read here.

• Members

Carvin LB75, lefty, here. All mahogany, ebony f/b. My main bass onstage.

I have never seen nor heard nor tried any of their amps, though, and from what I read I don't really want to. I would seriously be interested in their cabs if you could still order them with EV speakers rather than the stock speakers....

• Members

I hate Carvin. They are the one company that won't ever see another penny from me. I've told my story several times already. Summary:

Decent gear, but customer service is among the most pitiful I've ever dealt with in any industry.

+1,000,000

My thoughts exactly.

• Members

Ordering is one thing. Service after the sale is often quite another.

That's exactly it.

Carvin was kissing me while I was shopping for an amp.

Later I bought an amp cover. Several weeks later, they had my money and I had no product.

From my very first inquiry, Carvin treated me like I was the biggest unneccesary hassle in recorded history.

After a bunch of calls I got to someone who instructed me to call him personally when I made my next purchase. He'd "hook me up." Instead of free strings or a discount on strings, he gave me a goddamned trussrod cover.

Around me ... don't say 'Carvin.' Don't even say, "Debbie's carvin' the turkey.' Please be sure to say, "Debbie's carving the turkey."

• Members

i really had gas for a custom LB-75 but after all the horror stories i have read i changed my mind.. unless i found one i could play first and fall for it. besides the customer service issue everyone says they lack tone/their own sound.. i want a bass to sound good because i sure the hell can't make it sound any betta.

• Members

I don't have any comment about their basses, because I've never played one. Their amps are horrifically unreliable, and tonally unimpressive.

They're also obscure enough that it's hard to find a tech who has experience with them, so for a fix, you're stuck shipping them back to the factory on your dime.

No thanks. No more Carvin for me. Ever.

• Members

My BB75 kicks major booty and has the best 5 string neck I've played.

My LB75, same wide neck as the BB75, is the most unstable neck I've ever played. As well as the only one that's incapable of making adjustments. Not a very convincing combination. Thumbs down.

And there are a lot of Carvin supporters, positive to a fault. They have never dealt with the real Carvin, at least not yet. One small taste of what that company is really about is enough to turn even the biggest Carvin fanboi away for good. That used to be me, now I know better.

• Members

I called carvins tech dept about a 15 year old amp I was having problems with. They said it was a 6 dollar part that they still stocked, and they sent me TWO of them out for free, and they got here in 2 days. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, but the service was great.

I'm still using carvin speakers, can't complain about them. Not to say I woudn't use something else, but I wouldnt shy away from them either

• Moderators

I had one Carvin bass, an L70 I bought new in 1996. It was without any argument one of the finest constructed basses I've ever seen. However, the aesthetics were dated, the electronics were entirely uninspiring and I first thought that I might not prefer ebony boards on fretted basses (which has been supported with each subsequent test of fretted ebony boards).

I had a Carvin DCM2000 power amp. It was exactly as advertised in every aspect. A very fine piece of gear in every respect.

I've had unimpressive interactions with their customer service on the phone, but it wasn't the worst either.

• Members

I hate Carvin. They are the one company that won't ever see another penny from me. I've told my story several times already. Summary:

Decent gear, but customer service is among the most pitiful I've ever dealt with in any industry.

my experience exactly.

• Members

I called carvins tech dept about a 15 year old amp I was having problems with. They said it was a 6 dollar part that they still stocked, and they sent me TWO of them out for free, and they got here in 2 days. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, but the service was great.

I'm still using carvin speakers, can't complain about them. Not to say I woudn't use something else, but I wouldnt shy away from them either

yeah the only experience i've had with them post-sell wasn't anything big, but when my kit got here, the cover for the electronics was scratched. they sent me 2 replacement covers and a hat :)

Archived