OT: Well, this sucks.

RyCLB

• Members
We should go shooting when the weather warms up, I've got my father's hand cannon in my possession for a while...

C7

Hell yeah, man. I got a new 9MM pistol and a .22 semi-auto rifle. They're a blast to shoot. We found a range up by Keystone a couple of weeks ago and blew through some rounds. Good times. :D

• Members

Positive vibes buddy. I'm going through the opposite it seems. I want to get into school again, but BECAUSE I graduated they won't take me. My marks were average at best, not bad, not great, mostly C+'s and B's with the odd A. I had major potential, but screwed around too much.

Long story short, if I did not graduate I would be in school now, accepted based on life experience, work experience and the like. But because I did graduate high school 16 years ago, they are holding my marks against me as if they happened yesterday, weighted against how long I have been out of school. In other words, I am doomed to never get accepted because it was so long ago, and the longer I go, the worse it will get.

They actually told me that if I did not finish high school they would look at my file and assess me based on who I am today, but since I did finish, I can only be assessed on who I was then. :confused:

I told them that regardless of what I did or did not learn then, I promise that I forgot it all, and they agreed, I probably would have, but that fact doesn't matter. I asked them to explain this, and at the end of it all it came out that it's ok to learn something and forget it, as long as you learned it once.

I work in Marketing, have for the last 5 years. I want to get into college for Marketing to get that piece of paper to take me further. I have to go back for a year of upgrading first if I want to, only because I did graduate high school in 1992. They told me my work experience would have gotten me a place in the class for certain, but only if I didn't graduate high school, or if I did a year of upgrading (cash grab) first. :mad:

• Members

I have an F on my transcripts for a class I never took. It was a clerical error and I can't get rid of it. If I had complained about it right away and taken it to the board, they might have reversed it, but I didn't even know it was there until it was too late. Thank god I don't need transcripts anymore.

Good vibes sent your way.

• Members

I dunno. I would think that if you tell them upfront that, "Yeah, I screwed around too much when I first went to college" that it would go a long way in the interview. My first year of college was perhaps the best year of my life. :D And I finished with a 2.3 gpa to prove it. Of course, I joined the military, got married, and a year after that went back to college and graduated cum laude and counting my post-grad classes have a 3.8 gpa. But, I couldn't imagine my freshman year in college coming back to haunt me.

Either way, you have my thoughts and best wishes. :thu: Good luck.

• Members

I dunno. I would think that if you tell them upfront that, "Yeah, I screwed around too much when I first went to college" that it would go a long way in the interview.

+1. Be up front with it, and use it to leverage your response. They don't want to hear you hem, haw, get embarrassed, languish in the past. They want to be reassured that you are forward looking and a completely different, reliable, productive person.

So:

"I freely admit to making mistakes, and learning from them. I didn't set goals back then. I do now. In [month, year], I made a commitment to get serious about getting my life on track and achieving as much as I can. Here's the proof of what I've achieved since then, consistently well. I'm hungry to make up for lost time."

:thu:

• Members
, I made a commitment to get serious about getting my life on track and achieving as much as I can. Here's the proof of what I've achieved since then, consistently well. I'm hungry to make up for lost time."

:thu:

Pfft. I think he should freak out and scream obscenities, to prove that he means business and won't put up with insolent questions from inferior people.:idea:
C7

• Members
You need to tell the school you're going to now you need a list of
transfered
classes. F's don't transfer because you need to get a C or better to get credit at another school. That way only the classes you passed will show up on your list.

I did get such a list. Unfortunately, the bank needs to see the grades associated with those courses and my school wasn't able to give me a list of the courses AND the grades. Thus, I had to provide copies of those transcripts. I sent them to HR yesterday afternoon. I should hear a "yay" or "nay" by the end of the week. :eek:

• Members
Unless they've indicated they've seen the past transcript and it is a problem, I wouldn't think it'd be any issue at all. Good luck regardless. I hope you get the position.

Well, they haven't seen it yet. They'll get them today. Hopefully it'll all work out. Thanks for the support! :thu:

Archived