Whats you pick for a high end bass?

Schecter5

• Members

prolly a biased answer but Warrior Instruments would be my high end pick.

You ever played one?

To me they are hit and miss. I've played some fantastic ones and others that didn't impress me whatsoever.

Overall I think they are way overpriced new, but you can find some good values used.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to.

Sweet. Actually, one of the nicest ones I ever played (and damn near bought) was a white Armed Soldier. Fantastic bass. And the least expensive one on the wal at about $2000. So was one of the Nitti sig ones they had at Guitar-X. great bass, although a little more expensive.

They also had several in the $4000+ range that did absolutely nothing for me.

I think a lot of the cost is the expensive woods and the intricate inlay work donw on a lot of these basses. and it's are, so it's worth it IMO for something that beautiful.

But for me, a bass is only as good as it plays and sounds. And the cheapest one they had was my favorite. :)

• Members

I'd never spend over 1500 or 1600 for a bass...which is the price point of increasing diminished returns. Let's face it, a 3000+ bass isn't going to sound any better than a 1600 dollar bass.

Now it's effect on YOU, knowing it's a 3000+ bass, "may" make you a better player...the psychological effect I suppose.

I owned a $2500 Lakland JO and a $1200 brand new Fender Jazz at the same time. The quality, feel and tone of the Fender couldn't compare to the Lakland, so I sold it. The difference between the two basses was huge.

It does, of course, depend on the bass. The quality of the MM Stingray and Sterling (about $1200 new?) blows Fender out of the water and isn't a huge dropoff from the Lakland.

• Members

Sweet. Actually, one of the nicest ones I ever played (and damn near bought) was a white Armed Soldier. Fantastic bass. And the least expensive one on the wal at about $2000. So was one of the Nitti sig ones they had at Guitar-X. great bass, although a little more expensive.

They also had several in the $4000+ range that did absolutely nothing for me.

I think a lot of the cost is the expensive woods and the intricate inlay work donw on a lot of these basses. and it's are, so it's worth it IMO for something that beautiful.

But for me, a bass is only as good as it plays and sounds. And the cheapest one they had was my favorite.
:)

the type of wood has a lot to do with the price of the instrument which has very little to do with how good the instrument sounds.
the rarer and older the wood the more the instrument is going to cost.

It is like this... I have several high end guitars and bass'
but the most played instruments I own and gig with are the low end ones like my Rogues or the Yammy RBX 170.

musical instruments are stereotyped just like everything else.
the more it costs the better it is or so the myth goes.

• Members

I'd never spend over 1500 or 1600 for a bass...which is the price point of increasing diminished returns. Let's face it, a 3000+ bass isn't going to sound any better than a 1600 dollar bass.

Now it's effect on YOU, knowing it's a 3000+ bass, "may" make you a better player...the psychological effect I suppose.

It may not sound better but it will play better. Chances are it will both sound better and play better though. The fact that it plays better will have a positive effect on your playing though I think. If you've never had a custom built for you, you really dont' have any rooom to talk IMO because you don't really know. I'm not talking second hand either.

Dan

• Members

Yes. I've recorded with both and there is a big difference in the tone.

Yes, you could tell the difference because it's your music. But listen to some random piece of music where you dig the bass tone yet have no idea what bass is being used. Can anyone tell the difference between a 300 dollar MiM Jazz or a 4000 custom Sadowsky Jazz just from a CD? I don't think so. Which is the bottom line on all this, the final tone/performance.

Now, I'm not denying that having that 4000 dollar Sadowsky in my hand to play some piece of music may feel better, have better intonation etc etc and may inspire me to play better. And I agree you can't really put a price-tag on a bass you REALLY like playing.

And I can only speak for myself anyway, nor do I judge anyone for how much they spent on their musical instrument...no matter if it's more or less than what I spent on mine. It's just that I've found that diminished returns tend to start happening around a certain price point.

• Members

And how will that make you a better player? Could you tell the difference on a recording that someone's using a Sadowsky Jazz or a MiM Fender Jazz? Is there any music you just can't play unless you use that Sadowsky?

There does come a point to where throwing more money at a bass doesn't make it any better.

That is just a flawed argument, I assume you have never used a bass like a Sadowsky, i've played JayDee and a Status which are close in terms of quality.

Also using your argument of being able to tell the difference in a band environment, it quite obviously depends on the genre of music.

If what you were saying was true, then everyone would be using particle-board p bass replicas. And everyone would wear Casio watches, because they do so much more than a Rolex :rolleyes:

No two basses sound the same, not even two MiM basses, you are arguing with people who have allot more experience here... and I really cannot be bothered to repeat what has been already said so i'll just list it for you:

MiM vs Sadowsky

Sadowsky has:

1)Better woods

2)Better finishing

3)Better after-sales support

4)Better quality components made out of higher grade materials

5)Better aesthetics

6)Better ergonomics

7)Better fretwork/inlays

8)Better options

9)Better quality control

Why do you feel the need to tell someone they don't need a bass like this, basically ridiculing them in their own thread, is it just because you can't afford one or something :idk:

Archived