Whats you pick for a high end bass?

Schecter5

• Members
I was listening at the start and heard what I thought was guitar. I figured oh, right you played guitar on it too.
:confused:
Then I saw you playing the Bee like a guitar!
:eek:
Lets just say I have more gas for an ERB now.
:lol:

the first link I was 100% in the roll of the 'bassist' The singer was playing a strat through a zoom multi effect and a bad monkey into a 1x12" solid state Fender combo. I'm just fumbling through the changes of a tune I'd just heard for the first time as it was being recorded... like I said, it's rough and a better recording with a written line will be coming soon. We are jamming again on Sunday!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Fenders can be classified as high end basses, even though the vintage prices are insane.

That being said, though, one day a few months back I made the mistake of visiting the Chicago Music Exchange site. Has anyone here been there yet? Very dangerous.

I spotted a yellowed 1973 Jazz with a black pickguard and maple board with pearloid blocks. Man oh man, that was love!

I actually started doing some number crunching to see if it was possible, then realized it was an insane idea. Why not instead just build a clone and get a white body sprayed with tinted lacquer?

I was already in the process of having that clone assembled, but it was with a Buildabass sunburst body instead, and quarter pounder pickups, and an Allparts neck. It's nice, and it only cost me around $800.

Now for a true high end bass, I've always wanted to try out a Wal.

• Members

I don't think Fenders can be classified as high end basses, even though the vintage prices are insane.

That being said, though, one day a few months back I made the mistake of visiting the Chicago Music Exchange site. Has anyone here been there yet? Very dangerous.

I spotted a yellowed 1973 Jazz with a black pickguard and maple board with pearloid blocks. Man oh man, that was love!

I actually started doing some number crunching to see if it was possible, then realized it was an insane idea. Why not instead just build a clone and get a white body sprayed with tinted lacquer?

I was already in the process of having that clone assembled, but it was with a Buildabass sunburst body instead, and quarter pounder pickups, and an Allparts neck. It's nice, and it only cost me around $800.

Now for a true high end bass, I've always wanted to try out a Wal.

If a Sadowsky, Lakland, Lull, etc. are considered high end then a Fender can definitely be high end IMO. I would love to try a Masterbuilt.

Dan

• Members

Obviously, you don't want to throw down that kind of money on the word of some idjut on a forum. Try out everything you can - but in the $3000 + range I'd go with Alembic. Besides pickups & electronics (those will be Alembic) and neck joint type (no bolt ons) they'll do whatever you want, as long as you can afford it. I've been playing long enough to know what I want, all I lack is $7000 disposable income.

• Members

Obviously, you don't want to throw down that kind of money on the word of some idjut on a forum. Try out everything you can - but in the $3000 + range I'd go with Alembic. Besides pickups & electronics (those will be Alembic) and neck joint type (no bolt ons) they'll do whatever you want, as long as you can afford it. I've been playing long enough to know what I want, all I lack is $7000 disposable income.

idjit.

• Members

Out of curiosity, what would you order?

• Members

I'd never spend over 1500 or 1600 for a bass...which is the price point of increasing diminished returns. Let's face it, a 3000+ bass isn't going to sound any better than a 1600 dollar bass.

Now it's effect on YOU, knowing it's a 3000+ bass, "may" make you a better player...the psychological effect I suppose.

• Members

which is the price point of increasing diminished returns.

maybe your point, not everyones.

If I was playing 4 or 5 string basses... $750 could be easily my 'point'.

Having owned and gigged mass produced imports, through every stage to hand built masterpieces and I will never settle for anything less than what I have.

find me a bolt necked 7 string with 28 frets, 34" scale, 19mm spacing at the bridge, made from mostly Acrylized Maple with wenge board and ash body core, loaded with Delano pickups, etc for under $4k and I might reassess my stand.

I'm coming on my 28th year as a bassist and I have very specific needs in my tools. I've custom ordered 3 to those exacting specs that are priceless to me.

Can I create music on a $300 import, hell yeah... can I get my ideal tools for $1500 a pop.... not by a long shot.

• Moderators

I live a block away from there. I've played that bass. Want me to go take pictures of me rocking it? :evil:

:D

• Members

I'd never spend over 1500 or 1600 for a bass...which is the price point of increasing diminished returns. Let's face it, a 3000+ bass isn't going to sound any better than a 1600 dollar bass.

Now it's effect on YOU, knowing it's a 3000+ bass, "may" make you a better player...the psychological effect I suppose.

That really is just an opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

For instance in the current market climbate your HS will sell for circa $900 and costs circa $1600 new, a NYC Sadowsky will sell for circa $2200 and costs circa $3000.

• Members

A group I'm in is looking at purchasing a real good bass, not like a 700-1000 'serisous' bass but like a 3,000 + god bass. we are looking at Jerzy Drozd and Sukop basses right now. I'm just trying to find out if any of you know any names I should be looking at that I'm not already looking at.

-S

Are you the bassist in this group?

Why do they want such a high end bass?

• Members

That really is just an opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

For instance in the current market climbate your HS will sell for circa $900 and costs circa $1600 new, a NYC Sadowsky will sell for circa $2200 and costs circa $3000.

And how will that make you a better player? Could you tell the difference on a recording that someone's using a Sadowsky Jazz or a MiM Fender Jazz? Is there any music you just can't play unless you use that Sadowsky?

There does come a point to where throwing more money at a bass doesn't make it any better.

• Members

Could you tell the difference on a recording that someone's using a Sadowsky Jazz or a MiM Fender Jazz?

Yes. I've recorded with both and there is a big difference in the tone.

It's not my favorite live bass though. Stingrays are.

However. Saying that there is a point of diminishing returns at $1500-$1600 may be true for you, but it's not really true for everyone. Do you think so many professional recording session bassists use Sadowsky and Lull basses MTD and Fbass just for the logo on the headstock? no one ever sees that. They use them because they are great basses and sound fantastic in the studio.

There does come a point to where throwing more money at a bass doesn't make it any better.

The other reason some basses cost more is exotic woods, inlays, etc. Bells and whistles. It's aesthetics and preference. If having a flamed redwood top is important to someone, then it is. If it's not to you then it's not.

Same with Anniversary models/limited runs/etc... do you really think that a $2200 Anniversary model Stingray sounds $800 better than a "standard" one? How about a Ball Family Reserve one for $7000+? It's still a Stingray.

Just because it's not worth it to YOU doesn't man it's not worth it.

• Members

I agree that 1600 is the point of diminishing returns. That said, a $1600+ bass has just as much chance as any to sound better than a sub $1600 bass. As I've said earlier, there are many boutique basses that did nothing for me, but there are some that I feel are actually worth it. My experience in pro audio has taught me that the difference between good and great are all in the details. When you enter into the boutique bass market, it ALL about the details and that's what makes some of them special.
You and I need to hook up with Bassman1956 and visit Luthiers Access Group. :cool:

Archived