fretless for classic rock?

poomwah

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the Jazz Bass makes a poor fretless for anything but fusion. It's too cliche and it screams Jaco a mile around.

With a P, MM or Ripper you'd have much more potential.

JazzAd, you know I love you, baby, but thats the biggest crock of crap-ola Ive heard on the forum in awhile ( and surprising coming from you)..............

Jaco's sound was the Bridge PU soloed, T rolled back - If you take a Jazz bass with both PUs dimed OR the mid PU soloed, you have a whole different soundset that Jaco didn't make famous. Couple that with the V and T controls and blends, plus possible mods----Furthermore, each individual playing style and how each individual player approaches the instrument will effect its outcome - everything from where you play (fingering at the bridge VS fingering mid-body, etc) to each player's feel (where the notes fall in respect to the beat, attack, etc). I know that you know all of this, so thats why I was shocked when I read it......... To label a fretless Jazz Bass the way you did is like saying all people with dreadlocks have stinky hair........

• Members

I think the Jazz Bass makes a poor fretless for anything but fusion. It's too cliche and it screams Jaco a mile around.

With a P, MM or Ripper you'd have much more potential.

Meh. I don't care what others think of me. My second (and by far best) fretless was a 1969 sunburst jazz that was made fretless. Still had the PG, had tons of mojo and at the time I had NO idea who Jaco was. Not once did anyone ever make a comment about him either.

I'm building up a modernized recreation of it with a Hwy 1 and could care less about Jaco references, I don't listen to him, or jazz at all for that matter.

• Members

I got a chance to visit a local store today and played a Fender USA fretless Jazz.

Tone was nice but hated the feel of the fretless neck after about 10 minutes of playing it. It felt like I couldnt Finger the G and D strins on my left hand correctly.

I think it is a great Idea to dick around with the Fretless but for my Playing style it didnt do anything for me....

I think I just slap a Fretted J neck on the P body and string it with Flats

• Members

Is it just me or does Danko look like he's wrestling an alligator when you watch videos of him play? Not that it's a bad thing...I certainly admire him...and his mad alligator wrestling skills.

Yeah, he's all over the place. I guess it's only the fingers that need to be precise.:idk:

When he sings his verse of "The Weight" on the Last Waltz DVD, he's playing his fretless AEB-1. It's hard to believe he was laying down the bass track.

Another one is Sting - in some shots from the Copeland documentary, he's dancing more during recording than I do on stage.

• Members

I play fretless on Feel Like Making Love and Can't Get Enough (Bad Co), Show Me the Way (Peter Frampton), Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young) and a number of other songs in my geezer rock band. If anything,I think a fretless with flats sits better in the mix than a modern active bass with rounds.

My two cents.

• Members

My first bass was fretless. (And I didn't play guitar. Pretty much still don't.) Within 6 months our band was gigging 5 nights a week steady. Mostly R & R, Country and Pop. (Might have been gigging so much because we were the only band in town that could really play Country AND Rock very well.) You don't need a year, just enough practice to be solid. It is different and I don't switch between fretless and fretted instruments well. When I was playing bass in Jesus Christ Superstar production last year, I went back to fretted for the show and changed back for the last two shows. (Had to do with my bass reading skills. Fretted allowed me to concentrate on the written music.)

Archived