My first Ric!

kurfu

• Members

I got a 2007 Jetglo 4003 bass off eBay for a fair price... It's in perfect shape, and still had the stickers on the body... I don't think the previous owner ever took it out of the case, let alone to a gig in a smoky bar. So... The first thing I did was peel off the stickers and take it to a gig in a smoky bar. Guitars are meant to be played, not displayed. :cool:

My thoughts: The thing is quite a head-turner, it's really gorgeous. My live rig is an Ampeg B-2RE, DBX160a, and SVT-410HLF, and this thing sounds awesome! I do have two gripes, though: 1-The cover over the bridge pup has got to go - it's right where my fingers want to be, and if I'm playing with a pick, it makes it impossible to palm-mute the strings. 2-The edges of the body are pretty sharp... I have a nice blister on the inside of my right wrist from last night.

Recording: This thing has a noticeable hum that I can hear through the headphones (tried the same signal chain with my Jazz bass - dead silent)... it seems to be getting interference from somewhere... Has anyone tried adding shielding to the electronics cavity to resolve this? Is this a common problem, or do I have something broken? (I did check all the grounds with a multimeter, and they all look good). Any tips for reducing this noise?

And finally, to quell the mantra of "pics or it never happened!" here's my new baby:

2389517191_e404268879.jpg

• Members

Those are both common problems and one of the few reasons I got rid of mine.

You could shield it I'm sure and it would solve the interference problems.

The PU cover is about as useless as they come. I removed mine and played with my thumb rested on the PU itself. There are also kits that fit around the bridge PU to help out the aesthetics of the huge gaping unnecessary route that they do for that PU.

There are a lot of cons with a Ric but they do play decent and sound wonderful. It's a real give and take with it. It's like that bitchy girlfriend that is super hot and is crazy in the sheets..you kind of have to weigh the pro's and cons and decide if you want to put up with her {censored}. I didn't.

Dan

• Members

Awesome! :thu:

The PU cover is about as useless as they come. I removed mine and played with my thumb rested on the PU itself.

Depends on how one plays - its extremely useful to me. :idea:

When I play with a pick, its a perfect palm rest. When I play finger style, I either play up near the neck, or just behind the pickup cover, and in that case, I'll usually use that pickup cover as an anchor.

In sum, the pickup cover is absolutely useful for the way I play it. When I first got my Ric, I decided to just let it dictate the way I was going to play it - the whole, 'resistance is futile and a waste of time' sort of approach. I couldn't be happier with mine, and it didn't take long at all for me to adjust.

There are also kits that fit around the bridge PU to help out the aesthetics of the huge gaping unnecessary route that they do for that PU.

Yep. :thu:

• Members

Awesome!
:thu:

Depends on how one plays - its extremely useful to me.
:idea:

When I play with a pick, its a perfect palm rest. When I play finger style, I either play up near the neck, or just behind the pickup cover, and in that case, I'll usually use that pickup cover as an anchor.

In sum, the pickup cover is absolutely useful for the way I play it. When I first got my Ric, I decided to just let it dictate the way I was going to play it - the whole, 'resistance is futile and a waste of time' sort of approach. I couldn't be happier with mine, and it didn't take long at all for me to adjust.

Yep.

I should have stated useless for me. I play by the bridge and it just got all in the way.

Dan

• Members

I should have stated useless for me. I play by the bridge and it just got all in the way.

Dan

My biggest issue with the one I used to have was with the adjustment posts for the foam damper on the bridge. When I played with a pick I'd rest on the bridge and saddles for muting, but I'd end up cutting open my pinky on the threaded post that stuck up for the foam adjustment.

• Members

I got a 2007 Jetglo 4003 bass off eBay for a fair price... It's in perfect shape, and still had the stickers on the body... I don't think the previous owner ever took it out of the case, let alone to a gig in a smoky bar. So... The first thing I did was peel off the stickers and take it to a gig in a smoky bar. Guitars are meant to be played, not displayed.
:cool:

My thoughts: The thing is quite a head-turner, it's really gorgeous. My live rig is an Ampeg B-2RE, DBX160a, and SVT-410HLF, and this thing sounds awesome! I do have two gripes, though: 1-The cover over the bridge pup has got to go - it's right where my fingers want to be, and if I'm playing with a pick, it makes it impossible to palm-mute the strings. 2-The edges of the body are pretty sharp... I have a nice blister on the inside of my right wrist from last night.

Recording: This thing has a noticeable hum that I can hear through the headphones (tried the same signal chain with my Jazz bass - dead silent)... it seems to be getting interference from somewhere... Has anyone tried adding shielding to the electronics cavity to resolve this? Is this a common problem, or do I have something broken? (I did check all the grounds with a multimeter, and they all look good). Any tips for reducing this noise?

And finally, to quell the mantra of "pics or it never happened!" here's my new baby:

2389517191_e404268879.jpg

Awesome bass ! Congrats ! :cool:

• Members

There are a lot of cons with a Ric but they do play decent and sound wonderful. It's a real give and take with it. It's like that bitchy girlfriend that is super hot and is crazy in the sheets..you kind of have to weigh the pro's and cons and decide if you want to put up with her {censored}.

Dan

+1. I love the tone and the neck and hate the body contours. Oh well, can't have everything. :)

Congrats on your new Ric. :thu:

• Members

+1. I love the tone and the neck and hate the body contours. Oh well, can't have everything.
:)

Congrats on your new Ric.

What body contours? I used to get a red welt on my right forearm from the right angle at the binding instead of a contour like jazzes.

The more I think about the issues I had with my old one, the more I wonder why the heck I want another, but I do.

• Members

There are a lot of cons with a Ric but they do play decent and sound wonderful. It's a real give and take with it. It's like that bitchy girlfriend that is super hot and is crazy in the sheets..you kind of have to weigh the pro's and cons and decide if you want to put up with her {censored}. I didn't.

Dan

That's too damn funny! I was thinking the exact same thing: this bass is like a super hot girlfriend that gives you a bunch of {censored}, but you put up with because she's so damn sexy. :lol:

• Members

What body contours? I used to get a red welt on my right forearm from the right angle at the binding instead of a contour like jazzes.

You mean like this?

2390375145_a207200649.jpg

/You know how hard it is to take a picture of your right hand while holding a camera with your left? :lol:

• Members

You mean like this?

2390375145_a207200649.jpg

/You know how hard it is to take a picture of your right hand while holding a camera with your left?
:lol:

Mine was a little further up. Rest your hand on the bridge and see where your forearm touches the bass up at the back on the binding.

I got gashes on the under side of my palm from the bridge damper adjustment screw. MY thumb had nowhere to sit with the giant routing for the bridge pup, I was too accustomed to having a P pup to rest on, the chrome ring was too far back for my liking. :blah:

Like I said, I seriously wonder why I want another. If they didn't sound so unique and look so damn sexy.

My gas for one will either go away the instant I get to play another, or will go through the roof as I realize I play with more finesse now and can manage and adapt just fine.

Archived