Been asked to do a song

SelenaBassGirl

• Members

my friend who plays bass saw my video I have on me playing a song that they do. When I sat down at the club, he motions me to him and tells me he heard me and tried to hand me his bass! :eek: He said that I played it exactly like he does note for note (I am self taught and play by ear). I politely turned him down. He came to me about several more times saying that I should do it and that I could do it (faith in me..I guess he thinks I am ready). The thing is, I have terrible case of stage fright! I can play it great at home but I never played with a band. This particular song I have is of their singer/guitarist's recording of it when he was with another band-and so that is how I learned by listening to the recording of it. That is how I do all the songs I play. My friend suggested at first that I just play it softly so if I mess up it won't be as noticed (yeah right) then it was suggested maybe when I do it, he will play his bass along with me, so if I freeze up, he can be there to take over. IDK. How did you all handle ya's first time on stage and get over that shaking stuff? I can't play if I am shaking like a leaf. :freak: I really want to but scared! Any suggestions from you pros?? :confused:

• Members

my friend who plays bass saw my video I have on me playing a song that they do. When I sat down at the club, he motions me to him and tells me he heard me and tried to hand me his bass!
:eek:
He said that I played it exactly like he does note for note (I am self taught and play by ear). I politely turned him down. He came to me about several more times saying that I should do it and that I could do it (faith in me..I guess he thinks I am ready). The thing is, I have terrible case of stage fright! I can play it great at home but I never played with a band. This particular song I have is of their singer/guitarist's recording of it when he was with another band-and so that is how I learned by listening to the recording of it. That is how I do all the songs I play. My friend suggested at first that I just play it softly so if I mess up it won't be as noticed (yeah right) then it was suggested maybe when I do it, he will play his bass along with me, so if I freeze up, he can be there to take over. IDK. How did you all handle ya's first time on stage and get over that shaking stuff? I can't play if I am shaking like a leaf.
:freak:
I really want to but scared! Any suggestions from you pros??
:confused:

Well, the first time I played in front of people, I was onstage by myself in front of probably 200 people. I was shaking so badly that I was hitting wrong notes, but I stayed up there and I did it, and ever since that I haven't really had any stagefright.

Also, it's definitely less scary in a band situation, rather than just by yourself.

• Members

My first gig back in the day I was shaking like a leaf...I mean bad...2nd gig I was almost as bad...3rd gig I was bad but got better as the performance progressed...4th show was actually allot of fun, only nervous for the first few songs...I've done a bunch of gigs since then and I'm comfortable...It gets way better...My advice is to just do it...Most people aren't watching the bass player anyway...It's the singer and guitar players that get 90% of the attention. If you don't start you'll never take it to the next level.

• Members

my friend who plays bass saw my video I have on me playing a song that they do. When I sat down at the club, he motions me to him and tells me he heard me and tried to hand me his bass!
He said that I played it exactly like he does note for note (I am self taught and play by ear). I politely turned him down. He came to me about several more times saying that I should do it and that I could do it (faith in me..I guess he thinks I am ready). The thing is, I have terrible case of stage fright! I can play it great at home but I never played with a band. This particular song I have is of their singer/guitarist's recording of it when he was with another band-and so that is how I learned by listening to the recording of it. That is how I do all the songs I play. My friend suggested at first that I just play it softly so if I mess up it won't be as noticed (yeah right) then it was suggested maybe when I do it, he will play his bass along with me, so if I freeze up, he can be there to take over. IDK. How did you all handle ya's first time on stage and get over that shaking stuff? I can't play if I am shaking like a leaf.

I am the kind of person that would normally be really nervous in these kinds of situations, but the first time I was on stage, I was nervous for about 15 seconds, and then I quickly got over it, I just got into it, and then everything followed.

You'll do fine.:thu:

• Members

Stage fright is an incredible crippler for me, be it 1000 people or 1.

I feel for you.

I've gotten better from the shear number of presentations I have to do as an engineer, and often they are un-prepped-for impromptu talks of why something is doing what it's doing. Thing is, it's still experience in front of an audience, so I think in the long run it helps.

• Members

I remember the first time I played bass in front of my my entire church. I was 16, and not too long before that, I had just started teaching myself bass so that I could play in the "youth service" band.

One thing led to another, and our youth pastor decided that he wanted us to start playing for the regular service on one sunday night a month.

Well, I got up there for my FIRST time, and we started through one of like.... 3? songs that we were gonna do, and I went to hammer on to a note, and my hands were shaking so bad that IT KEPT GOING!!!!!

so instead of, say... -------5----7h9------

it was more like ------5----7h9p7h9p7h9p7h9p7h9....etc....

Looking back, I think it was HILARIOUS. Actually, at the time I did too.

anyway, we soon started playing 2 sunday nights/month, then every sunday night, and then moved to every time the doors were open.

I completely got over my stage fright and moved on to playing for churches and crowds that were MUCH larger than that first one.

I say go for it, and if you hit a wrong note, make up a quick run/scale and cover your mistake. People will think it was a wicked solo......

And if you REALLLLLLY bomb, and i mean REAAAALLLLLLLLY mess up.... you can alway take your bass off, smash it on stage mid song, and do a stage dive into the crowd.

• Members

Stage fright is an incredible crippler for me, be it 1000 people or 1.

I feel for you.

I've gotten better from the shear number of presentations I have to do as an engineer, and often they are un-prepped-for impromptu talks of why something is doing what it's doing. Thing is, it's still experience in front of an audience, so I think in the long run it helps.

You know, it's funny. I can play bass in front of 1000 people NO problem.... but if I have to talk in front of 30 people, I get nervous.

Maybe its because as a bass player, I'm not the center of attention. And I figure not everyone plays bass, so who are they to critique me?

on the otherside of the coin, EVERYBODY can talk.:blah:

• Members

I am extremely uncomfortable playing for people in my family. Playing for hundreds of both strangers and people I know otherwise (not family) is no problem though. I was shaking a bit the first few gigs, but that's a long time ago, and I quickly got over it.

• Members

I am extremely uncomfortable playing for people in my family. Playing for hundreds of both strangers and people I know otherwise (not family) is no problem though. I was shaking a bit the first few gigs, but that's a long time ago, and I quickly got over it.

that's another good point. If i'm in front of a million people I'll never see again, I'm great.... but family is forever.

as is their memory of that time you really embarrassed yourself at a gig....:eek:

• Members

You know, it's funny. I can play bass in front of 1000 people NO problem.... but if I have to talk in front of 30 people, I get nervous.

Maybe its because as a bass player, I'm not the center of attention. And I figure not everyone plays bass, so who are they to critique me?

on the otherside of the coin, EVERYBODY can talk.
:blah:

So true; I think recitals have to be at the top of the list for most harrowing live performances.

It's been said already but I agree; the only way to slay this dragon is to get up there and do it. No amount of reading or "Attaboys!" can ever replace the experience. And it does get easier the more you do it. I still get the jitters but nowhere near the paralyzing fear that it once was. And that nervousness can be channeled when you recognize it and realize it is your survival instinct kicking in. Now that I think about it, some of the worst gaffs that I have ever had were due to being overconfident and not nervous enough.

Remember, just about everybody in the audience wants you to succeed; they are yours to lose, not the other way around. Most times, anyway :D

• Members

I was terribly scared my first time on stage. I am a pretty quiet/stay out of the spotlight kinda guy. I guess that's why I play bass and not guitar huh? Anyway, I just went with the mindset that if I played the wrong note, know one will know if I meant to do it or not. About half way through the set...I realized I am on stage at a metal/rock show...in the audience' eyes i can do no wrong...just go nuts. Ever since I have no fear of being on stage, no matter what the size of the crowd, but still have trouble giving speeched in front of 10 people. Just have fun with it.

• Members

Why do you have stage fright?

My first time on stage the amp I was using overheated and shut off, and I just stood there like an idiot. Afterwards I was really embarrassed, but lots of people came up to me and were like "don't worry about it, it happens to the best of them." You just have to stop caring about looking like an idiot. If it's gonna happen just go up there planning to make the best of it.

• Members

The best thing to do when you're starting out is to try (as hard as it is) not to think about the crowd. Close your eyes if you can and put yourself into that situation where you are at home jamming along with the tune.

The only way to get over it is to keep at it. The hardest performances I had to do - stage fright wise - were juries in college. There is nothing worse than doing a solo piece in front of your musical peers and the people who are deciding your educational fate. Everyone listened to every note....

But now - after gigging for more years than I'd like to count - I'm an attention whore on stage :)

You'll do fine - like I said, just focus on the things that are familar. The bass in your hands and the song that you know and you'll rock it out!

:thu:

• Moderators

First, you should find some friendly people just to jam with occasionally. Maybe there is an open music night somewhere. Go with some other friends. No one is there to harass you or judge you. They all just want to get into the music. Since you play by ear, that can only help it. Also in this particular situation, grab the bass and instead of looking at the audience, look above them at a spot on the wall or look at your friend who handed you the bass. Play. As others have mentioned here, you won't get over stage fright by running from it.

• Members

well I am probably gonna be looking at the fretboard all thru the song anyhow b/c I can't look away from it yet (without messing up) so looking at the crowd probably won't happen..anyhow half will be slow dancing b/c it is a slow song and the other half will be so lit they wouldn't know if I screwed up (and some don't know an A from a D note anyhow). I think the thing that is also making me nervous is the bass player is a guy that I really like (it is mutual) and that is making my knees knock too. I never played in front of him. He only saw the video.

I am getting up more nerve the more I talk to people about this. Thanks ya! I guess everyone has that first time nervousness and had to start somewhere!

Oh, I am helping my other band friends set up their gig today (my second time helping) and I am taking one of my basses and I am gonna put it on and stand up on stage to see how it feels. This is a higher stage so maybe it will give me a general idea. IDK. I may even see about hooking her up to hear what she sounds like at that club! ;)

• Members

Most people don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to watching a band.

I've had some really off nights, fluffed runs, missed stops, wrong key intros, and had people come up afterwards and ask if I teach, because they're after learning how to play, and I was superb!

Have confidence in your own ability, the work you've put in learning the song, and the fact that the majority of people listening are completely clueless.;)

Archived