Decode PA Speak

Thunderbroom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So this is ready to be submitted right?!?

BTW, thank you SO MUCH for your input!

:thu::thu: from me for sure. My pleasure. It's nice being able to put my experience to use and actually see/hear feedback on the results.

I do technical support for gear of all types, all day long for a living. It's not very often that I get feedback afterwards that my knowledge helped at all, so I appreciate that much more when I do get it.

• Members

It makes more sense for you to be next to the drummer, for "locking in" purposes - and also to be paired up with the rythym guitarist, instead of the lead - because after all, you're forming a significant part of the rythym section... Also, I think the guitar leads would get a bit better definition on one side of the stage by himself, rather than being right next to the bassist...

All this is merely my opinion, and as long as your current setup is working for you, then it's all good...

- georgestrings

Agreed on all counts, and that's how I've always done it (maybe more dumb luck and trying things than any well-thought out plan)

I've seen our old bassist (when I was on keys) try to run his rig next to the guitarist's - that didn't work well at all.

• Members
LD - Lighting Dude.
:D

In my years on the road I have been a Lighting Designer, Assistant LD, Tour Manager, Production Manager, Stage Manager, Backline Technician, Monitor Engineer, FOH Engineer... :blah:.

One thing I have never been is a roadie. :mad: Them's fighting words.

• Members

If you don't know about inserts (your current rig doesn't use any???) then let the guy know when you get there that if he has a certain type of comp (compressor) or pre (preamp) that he likes the sound of to go ahead and use it, chances are he won't (hopefully) deminish the sound with it. I've gone ahead and put comps on vocals without asking the artist, they weren't used to playing on bigger stages and had no idea what a compressor was, so they didn't even know the difference...

That layout looks good! can I send you my band's layout and have you whip one up for me?? kidding, it does look good, though.

I've always (as a player and a sound guy) left the channel numbering up to the front of house guy, I run my drums from Low freq to hi ( Kick, Floor Tom, Rack 2, Rack 1, Sn, HH, OH), so I don't put the snare right next to the kick like most guys do.... I know my way of doing it, so it only confuses me if I have to conform to someone elses way..... if it's a big enough act, sure, whatever... but when you get little fish in your pond trying to tell you how to do your thang........

FYI, Effects aren't usually inserted on channels, maybe on a group...... Usually take an aux out to the effects unit and bring it back into a channel.. at least that's the way I like to do it.

Yep, LD is lighting director... I had to laugh one time the Director and producer were going nuts withthe comm trying to get the LD to respond, and the LD was trying to respond but the only person who could hear him was the lighting operator {LO} ( LD got to talk to everyone, his operator and the production crew... THe lighting Opp got to listen to everything, but could only talk to the LD...... Audio listens to the production crew and only talks to certain people, it can get very confusing when running multiple comms on a big show site with audio, video/GFX, lighting, prompters, etc........), they were all quite frustrated.... the LD had picked up the LO's comm beltpack... The reason I laughed is because on 2" wide white Gaff I had labeled the LD pack with a very obvious 'L D' and the the Lighting Operator's pack said 'Lite Opp' and they were still trying to say that somehow my labels caused the confusion..... lighting guys, can't live with em, can't live without em....... uh, scratch that, can't we just run a computer program that follows the digital mixer's scenes and have the lights we need? close your eyes, is the concert any worse.... no............ kidding, of course to all those lighting guys wo are 'bout to jump my sh*t.........

• Members

.... uh, scratch that, can't we just run a computer program that follows the digital mixer's scenes and have the lights we need? close your eyes, is the concert any worse.... no............ kidding, of course to all those lighting guys wo are 'bout to jump my sh*t.........

Hey, I got my start in Lighting and moved to backline and the like from there, and not a day went by where I didn't say this myself. I worked some bands that had full midi/time clock sync for triggered samples/sound effects and the like, I never understood why I they never let me program all the sequences and just re-aim the beams for each show setup. We didn't need an LD, I'd gladly take a 50% bonus on each pay for the minor added grief.

Archived