What The? How Many Monitor Mixes?

Thunderbroom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Yorkies all have buffered through-puts to you can chain as many as you like without signal deterioration. If I recall, the engineer once did the math on it (because there is no such thing as zero deterioration when you factor in cable line loss
:blah:
). He said that you should be able to chain about 600 NX55P's together before there will be an audible depreciation in output/quality.
:eek:

Yorkville make great PA gear, too..I love the through-put feature

• Moderators

The Yorkies all have buffered through-puts to you can chain as many as you like without signal deterioration. If I recall, the engineer once did the math on it (because there is no such thing as zero deterioration when you factor in cable line loss
:blah:
). He said that you should be able to chain about 600 NX55P's together before there will be an audible depreciation in output/quality.

I used to own some NX550p's. Very nice speakers and yes, all the EV and Yorkville stuff would have a through-put. That's fascinating how many can be daisy chained in that config. :eek:

I was more stating that as a warning when looking for powered boxes. I've seen some that don't appear to have that feature, including the powered PR Peavey's.

• Members
I used to own some NX550p's. Very nice speakers and yes, all the EV and Yorkville stuff would have a through-put. That's fascinating how many can be daisy chained in that config.
I was more stating that as a warning when looking for powered boxes. I've seen some that don't appear to have that feature, including the powered PR Peavey's.

Yup. I hears ya. Just had the chance to spout some of my inordinate amounts of useless knowledge, so I took it. :D

• Members

We don't have any powered wedges.

I could bring out our monitors and my power amps. While it seems ridiculous for me to have to do so, I might just have to do it.

Are you paying them to run sound, or is it included in the gig? If you're paying them it's completely unacceptable, but if it's included, you're either gonna have to suck it up or deal with a single mix. I've played many shows with only one, and yeah, it's not as much fun, but as long as you can hear yourself through your amp, there shouldn't be a huge issue. You've also got to consider that if he's only got one mix that he's used to worrying about, he might not be particularly quick adjusting multiples!

If it were me I'd haul out the amp rack and bring a couple boxes... I'd rather spend an extra 30 minutes prep work to have a more fun show than sit there and suffer for four hours.

• Members

We use 4 mixes, there are four members and we all sing. we used to use two mixes, one for the band guys and one for the female singer, we ditched the chick and split the vox and the world is a better place... I could get away with any/no monitors if I had to, my first couple of bands didn't even have monitors, got used to singing to my bass and a little from the mains.. that said, there is nothing like having your own mix, and I refuse to go back to wedges unless I absolutely have to, but in my case it is one 2 space rack-bag that includes two full wireless in ear units and all the necessary gear....

What kind of sound guy is this that only has one mix? Yet he wants a stage plot and input list... seems he's trying too hard to be 'pro'.... Scrap my recommendation from the other thread that you let him run his own desired compressor settings, sounds like he's got his hands full just trying to do one thing..

• Members

Here's where we stand:

I sent the sound guy an email asking if the mixes were due to limits on his mixer. I suggested if his mixer could handle it that I could bring my power amp, eq and some speakers to use as monitors. Here's what he sent me:

The board has plenty of Aux sends. The problem is with the snake. The snake is 24 x 4 (4 returns)- 2 are for LR FOH. 1 for stage monitors and 1 for dance floor speakers. I could run the monitor/dance floor speaker amp parallel. However, I would need to rewire the entire dance floor mix- Send, EQ, speaker out for a second monitor mix. Then, rewire for Saturday night DJ. That seems like a small task- But, the dance floor amp does not have rear access with about 2 inches of play on the speaker outs (Big budget night club install :) ). This means I would have to pull the amp out of the rack, etc, etc... (you seem knowledgable enough that I don't have to list the rest).

If you have a split snake and small monitor desk with your amp and EQ I can make that work for 2 more mixes. However, if we can pull off 1 mix and push vox heavily through the flown dance floor speakers that face upstage (toward the band) I think all our lives will be simpler. Let me know. I will make whatever you need work.

What is a "split snake"? We have a 24 x 4 (75ft) snake. What is a "small monitor desk"? In addtion to the 24 channel Peavey, I've got an old Behringer 802 mixer. It's got 4 XLR ins and two stereo pairs. I have no idea about outputs other than how it's labelled.

• Members

A split snake has xlr ins to plug the mic's/lines into, and 2 xlr fantails, 1 for the monitor desk, and 1 for FOH. A cheap one, that I reffered to earlier in this thread as a poor mans splitter, is hardwired. There is no isolation between FOH an monitors. This is fine as long as there is no phantom power or ground issues. Another possibility, as I also reffered to earlier, is gender changers, turn a couple of his sends into returns.

• Members

Seriously, gender changers, your amp and EQ would be a pretty simple solution that should not cause much grief. You guys are using 17 sends, he has 24.

Mark sells these for 3.00 each
femxlr.jpg

These are 2.50 each
mxlr.jpg

2 of each, and 2 sends become 2 returns on the house snake.

• Members

thanks gs...this seems to me to be more trouble than it's possibly worth.

If I'm understanding you correctly, my snake is not a split snake.

I think we'll just go with what the guy has and hope for the best.

Thanks to all that have helped me in this thread. It's greatly appreciated.

• Members

thanks gs...this seems to me to be more trouble than it's possibly worth.

If I'm understanding you correctly, my snake is not a split snake.

I think we'll just go with what the guy has and hope for the best.

Thanks to all that have helped me in this thread. It's greatly appreciated.

Good luck.

You are starting to learn why guys like us always travel with a small briefcase full of odd cables, adapters and solution boxes. Sooner or later you see it all and have to adapt (no pun intended) to the situation.

Archived