finally proof that i play bass.

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will abstain from the haranguing. Something about glass houses and rocks...

:thu:

Not my style to criticize someone else's playing. :idk:

Until I'm comfortable with my own playing (of which I hope never to be), I'm keeping my mouth shut. :D

I usually try to find the "good" rather than the bad anyway. :idk:

• Members

Okay, I read this and thought you guys were just giving JM5 a lot of {censored} because people here like to give him a lot of {censored}.

I was wrong. :eek:

You need to find your inner metronome bro. Seriously, that's one of the biggest attributes a bassist can have. An innate sense of timing. I have had a ton of drummers get pissed (in a good way) because they TRY and lose me in some jazz fusion freeform thing and can't. You gotta work on that inner clock.

Working with a metronome will help get you there but you really need to build your own metronome in your head.

Also start running basic scales to improve your fretting technique like Wades Keys was saying. You have a lot of fret buzz in there and missed frets altogether.. You need to work on your hand positioning and proper fretting techniques.

I wouldn't worry about trying to learn etudes or anything past the basics at this point. work your way up to that stuff. Get the techniques and fundamentals down first. Gotta walk before you can run.

Don't be discouraged with criticism, take it for what it is and work to get better. You're at least trying which is more than can be said about 90% of the population.

Seriously consider lessons from a pro. It will definitely help. When I started on bass guitar, I already had 3 years on upright bass and was playing in Denver Youth Symphony. I also had 2 years of classical guitar behind me. I still took lessons for the first 6 months-1 year just to learn how to approach the electric bass as it's was a different instrument. And learning the proper technique, fundamentals and how to approach the instrument carried me a long way to getting a lot better very quickly.

Keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived