What strings do you use?

intothevoid

• Members

I am completely new to bass, but I am thinking of buying a second hand bass and that may mean it would be worthwhile to change the strings. What sort of strings should I get though? I will play mainly rock such as Black Sabbath, Cream, Budgie (I love the sound of Burke Shelley's bass). But what style and gauge of strings do you guys use and why?

• Members

Depends on what I'm going for.

I use DR stainless Lo-Riders on my six-string bass because they've got the best tone I've ever had out of a set of bass strings and because I loathe nickel strings.

I've also got a 24-year old Ibanez Roadstar that's got as much vintage tone as any p-bass I ever owned and it gets strung with D'Addario Chromes - I prefer flatwounds for vintage thump and the Chromes have all the thump but are almost as bright as a lot of roundwounds I've used.

Gauge? I usually go for the medium-gauge set but I tend to play with a fairly light touch and let the amp do all the work :)

• Members

Depends on what I'm going for.

I use DR stainless Lo-Riders on my six-string bass because they've got the best tone I've ever had out of a set of bass strings and because I loathe nickel strings.

I've also got a 24-year old Ibanez Roadstar that's got as much vintage tone as any p-bass I ever owned and it gets strung with D'Addario Chromes - I prefer flatwounds for vintage thump and the Chromes have all the thump but are almost as bright as a lot of roundwounds I've used.

Gauge? I usually go for the medium-gauge set but I tend to play with a fairly light touch and let the amp do all the work
:)

Same here.

I use ground wounds or flats on my fretless, and stainless rounds on my fretted. I do have Chromes on my P bass, again, for that thump.

• Members

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys on my Jazz and D'Addario EXL165s on my SG. Guitargod suggested DR Lo-Riders to me a while ago and I finally ordered a heavy gauge set, they should be here today. Someone else suggested I try DR Sunbeams on my SG so those will be the next strings I buy.

• Members

DR loriders do it for me - never thought a string could change my tone so much, and in a good way.

I'm trying the Hellborg set next - the loriders themselves seem very piano like but still warm, so I expect the Hellborgs to be even more so, not a tone I was actively seeking but once I heard it, I was kinda hooked.

• Members

DR nickel LoRiders on my P/J's, Elixir Nano's on the rest of my fretted basses except the Reverends have DR nickel Sunbeams just because that's what they have, and I don't feel like experimenting on those basses right now. I am a huge fan of the Elixir's, and would have them on every bass if I didn't occasionally play pick style. I'm currently experimenting with my fretless to find the right set and style of string, and the next candidate is a set of TI Jazz flats.

• Members

I say, and I am not trying to be a jerk here, but use bass strings!

Seriously, if you're just starting out, you have several years to try different strings to get the tone you want. D'addario would be a good starting point though. I think XLs 45 thru 105 is what most folks use.

My favorite strings are DR Lo Riders, but I'm so Poor, that I tend to get whatever is on sale!

• Members

My favorite strings are DR Lo Riders, but I'm so Poor, that I tend to get whatever is on sale!

+1... i have Rotosounds on right now...

have you tried D'addario Prosteels?

cose i think that, for the money, cose their not too expensive at all, theyre the best steel strings ive tried...

• Members

I say, and I am not trying to be a jerk here, but use bass strings!

Seriously, if you're just starting out, you have several years to try different strings to get the tone you want. D'addario would be a good starting point though. I think XLs 45 thru 105 is what most folks use.

I need to try those Lo Riders. I keep hearing good stuff from good people.

When I want a ringing or musical tone I use DR High Beams. When I want thump I use Dean Markley Blue Steel.

• Members

I need to try those Lo Riders. I keep hearing good stuff from good people.

When I want a ringing or musical tone I use DR High Beams. When I want thump I use Dean Markley Blue Steel.

the LoRiders are similar, to my ears, to the Hi Beams, they just have a different "thang" on the mids, and give you more tension, not that loose feel you generally get from the Hi Beams...

• Members
+1... i have Rotosounds on right now...

have you tried D'addario Prosteels?

cose i think that, for the money, cose their not too expensive at all, theyre the best steel strings ive tried...

Yeah, and I liked them, but like all D'Addario strings, I broke em too quick! I don't know what it is with me and D'Addario, but I have always broken them easily. Lately, my string of choice has been........Hartke!!!Seriously....my local Scam Cash music has a pack with 3 5-string sets for $25 bucks!!!!

Archived