Bassy bass or trebly bass?

Emerica167852

• Members

i was just wondering your opinion on bass tone... do you like a more bass and fat tone or a trebly sound.?

i personally like my bass to be more bassy but still have it cut through a little.. i think it sounds bad if your bass isnt the underlying sound in the mix.

• Members

I switch up my tone through the night when I'm playing live. I use a more treble for my funk stuff and add more bass to the Motown stuff. My tone is always pretty bright though. I'm not a fan of mud even when the original song was recorded muddy. I figure if they had better technology at the time their sound would have sounded more modern.

The guys in my band agree with this concept. They don't try to dictate my tone from the era it was recorded. I'm luck that way.

• Members

I like all sorts of tones, depends on the music. Lately I've playing with the bass EQ knob down all the way, mids at 1/4 (9:00) and treble and "harmonic volume" cranked. Vicious. This wouldn't work with most amps/cabinets, but sounds great with the old junk I'm using.

• Members

Since I don't use EQ, it's hard for me to describe my tone in those terms, but it's thick and articulate, I guess, which puts it somewhere between the criteria.

I like having enough treble to keep definition in my tone, with a tight bottom. I don't like thudding low bass at all.

• Moderators

Since I don't use EQ, it's hard for me to describe my tone in those terms, but it's thick and articulate, I guess, which puts it somewhere between the criteria.

I like having enough treble to keep definition in my tone, with a tight bottom. I don't like thudding low bass at all.

You have too much tone, I won't let you play my cabinets.

• Members

You have too much tone, I won't let you play my cabinets.

I'd just love to hear all of the high-frequency magnetic noise my bass gives off through your massive tweeter arrays!

:love:

:freak:

EDIT: Bolt these on for the ultimate in sonic reproduction!

0115100104060116002008052963fb79b9c.jpg

:freak::freak:

• Moderators

Okay, now I'm serious (though I think I will build a tweeter array for Chris since I hate him). I play passive basses with the tone controls wide open. I play neutral cabinets. Occasionally I'll pull out some around 800 Hz to reduce jazz bass clackity-clack type tones and make everything sound nice and full. This is the "flat EQ" setting on my Fender clone, though sometimes I will roll the bass and treble off completely and push the mids completely to get an actually flat signal (mostly with fretless). With my Ampegs I occasionally push the low mids up a few dBs above neutral which can help with the gruntiness. Mostly I change it all up by varying my right hand technique: thumb, fingers, pick, positions from the bridge to the middle of the neck...

You will not hear me playing with the low mids cloudiness that I hear from so many bass players. You will not hear me playing with the tone knob rolled off.

• Members

All treble, no bass, no mids. I am working on designing "bass cabinets" that are nothing but tweeter arrays. Horribly hissy ones at that.

Any chance of an HF driver circuit that will pick up FM radio in that thing?

To answer the OP's question, both. I like a nice balance of highs, lows, and mids. And if I were to lean in one direction or another, it would mean that the song called for that particular sound.

Archived