Advice Needed: What Would You Do?

Phantasm

• Members

Glad to hear it all worked out. Why pay via USPA money order though? Is that how you paid in the first place?

I paid via Paypal and he says that he's spent all the money. He also says the Paypal account is not his, it's a friend's account.

I don't mind a money order. I'll get $100 instead of $97 with Paypal!

Now if I could just sell that SVT-2, it would be "I got two basses for a great deal and moved things I didn't need" month!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Were you able to get a replacement pot, or did you just loosen the knob and raise it a little so it wouldn't rub (which is what I did last night?)

If you email Ernie Ball customer service, they'll send you a new pot for free, I think.

I never bothered replacing mine because it was only ever so slightly bent.

• Members

very well know seller...who puts things right..

thats sounds like the label he needs to be hung on him..

I have been kind by omitting some of the correspondence we've had from being seen in this thread.

This was more of me checking to see that I wasn't hallucinating and in the wrong. I just wanted the opinions of uninvolved third parties, and I appreciate everyone who responded.

When the money order arrives and clears the bank it will be right. Until then...

• Members

I paid via Paypal and he says that he's spent all the money. He also says the Paypal account is not his, it's a friend's account.

That would seem like a big ole red flag to me - but, I doubt you would know that before your transaction.

• Members

the pot is probably repairable without replacing it or taking the bass apart. pull the knob, use a metal tube or a deep well socket that just fits over the shaft, SLOWLY and CAREFULLY bend it the opposite direction of the bend, just a LITTLE bit at a time, very gently, only use as much force as necessary, checking often to see if its straight

• Members

the pot is probably repairable without replacing it or taking the bass apart. pull the knob, use a metal tube or a deep well socket that just fits over the shaft, SLOWLY and CAREFULLY bend it the opposite direction of the bend, just a LITTLE bit at a time, very gently, only use as much force as necessary, checking often to see if its straight

I'll give that a shot tonight. If it won't bend back, I'm not afraid of a soldering iron and I'll order a replacement pot from EBMM!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's an update for everyone:

It's been 8 days since the seller told me that he was going to send me a $100 refund via US Postal Money Order, and I have not seen the money order.

I went on Talkbass to PM the seller to ask if it was sent; I got a notice that says the seller is not accepting PM's.

I tried to search for the sale thread and it appears that someone deleted it. The thread was locked, so I'm guessing he asked a mod to delete it.

I'm guessing that I'm never going to see that $100.

Anyone know a mod over at Talkbass who might be able to tell me how and why the locked sale thread was deleted?

• Members

I do have the PM's, and I started a Paypal dispute tonight.

Once I started the dispute, the owner of the PayPal account sent me a message saying he is not the seller, he doesn't know who I am, and he has no idea why I want $100 back.

It looks like the seller had me pay a third party for the bass. The holder of the Paypal account is very displeased. I sent the account holder an email explaing what has happened thus far.

And, the saga continues...

• Members

I do have the PM's, and I started a Paypal dispute tonight.

Once I started the dispute, the owner of the PayPal account sent me a message saying he is not the seller, he doesn't know who I am, and he has no idea why I want $100 back.

It looks like the seller had me pay a third party for the bass. The holder of the Paypal account is very displeased. I sent the account holder an email explaing what has happened thus far.

And, the saga continues...

You need to contact the TB mods, leave neg feedback for Squid and hope to get some resolution through pressure.

Dan

• Members

You need to contact the TB mods, leave neg feedback for Squid and hope to get some resolution through pressure.

Dan

The PayPal account holder says he will contact him and resolve the issue one way or another. He's very upset about it, and I don't blame him... he's stuck in the middle on this one.

I asked JoshB to undelete the FS thread if he can. I guess we'll see what transpires overnight. I've bought a lot of stuff and spent tons of money used and never had this kind of hassle... but, at least I have the bass on hand and it sounds great!

• Members

This is hte guy that does a ton of selling and uses a friends PAypal account right? Sounds to me liek his friend better tell him to get his own account now if he's getting in trouble over his behaviour. Good luck, it sounds like you have some good ammo on your side.

• Members

No response yet from TB, but the Paypal account owner sent a $100 refund with a note warning me not to take further action.

"7/18/2008 07:17 PDT - Seller: I talked to (name witheld) and you leave me no choice but to refund you because you have my account hostage. I wish you well and hope this clears the matter. Do not take any further action against my PayPal account or I will be forced to take action of my own."

The refund is still in pending state.

• Members

HELL no.

i'd give him the option of being outed on tb as a fraud or giving you a full or partial refund. period.

Yup

Its possible that the bass has been a NOS item in a store.....Some basses can sit in a hanger for a loooong time with every monky and his uncle jamming on it but nobody buying it........... Whatever the case, the description you paid for and the description you received don't match............ I totally back what Guttermouth said

• Members
No response yet from TB, but the Paypal account owner sent a $100 refund with a note warning me not to take further action.

"7/18/2008 07:17 PDT - Seller: I talked to (name witheld) and you leave me no choice but to refund you because you have my account hostage. I wish you well and hope this clears the matter. Do not take any further action against my PayPal account or I will be forced to take action of my own."

The refund is still in pending state.

Considering the "action of his own" that he has grounds to take consists of 1. Beating his friend and 2. Yelling at the computer screen in vain, I wouldn't worry too much...

Though it's amazing that you were able to hack Paypal and take his account hostage all by yourself...after this is done, you should give Paypal a heads up about such a security weakness :D

• Members

Ahh...I see who it is. There is no question as to his assertion that the bass is brand new. If it arrived other than brand new you have a right to get some cash back.

Dan

PM sent. I couldn't tell who it was by looking through the threads, but since I buy off that forum I'd like to know.

• Members

Man, a pretty big blowup over there right now in that thread. Someone aired some dirty laundry and the seller of the Decade aired all of Squid's. Turns out he uses a third party paypal account so that his wife doesn't find out about all the stuff he buy's and sells:eek:
He closed his Squid account and opened a new one under the moniker 76Dub. The reason I'm posting is because I don't want anyone here doing any deals with this guy and getting ripped off.

Dan

• Members

I'm not in the market at all, but thanks for the heads-up there, willsellout. :thu:

Hopefully, Joey Squid, AKA Senor Squid, AKA 76Dub is given a nice little 'time out' there at talkbass to get his 'stuff' in order. Seems to me that he's suffering from a bit of a compulsion here, and its gone so far as to put him in the position where he's being dishonest in recent deals and according to him, threatening his marriage. "I went on a spending pree lately and need to recoup some money before my wife kills me."

I don't even visit that site too often, and for years, I've noticed that his name has been constant fixture in the classifieds forums - moving high end stuff to and fro in regular order. I understand how and why things like this happen, but that certainly doesn't make it right. Here's hoping this serves as a wake-up call for him, and if everything that has been reported shows to be true, he apologizes to the community. If his compulsion is severe, it may prevent him from being able to participate in the community in a casual, 'memberly' way without being tempted too much.

Oh well...Phantasm, here's hoping that your deal wraps up 'right' for you.

• Members

Yeah he contacted me a little while back when I sold the Lakland and he wanted to trade me a Thunderfunk 750. He went back and forth several times, then we struck a deal. The next morning he backed out to go with something else. He seemed very "all over the place" and kind of weird. I'm glad the deal didn't go through as he seems to be less than stellar.

Dan

Archived