Advice Needed: What Would You Do?

Phantasm

• Members

Yeah he contacted me a little while back when I sold the Lakland and he wanted to trade me a Thunderfunk 750. He went back and forth several times, then we struck a deal. The next morning he backed out to go with something else. He seemed very "all over the place" and kind of weird. I'm glad the deal didn't go through as he seems to be less than stellar.

Dan

Mmm hmm...that has an extremely 'compulsive' ring to it. Not good for him. Not good for those around him. Wishing the best to "Squid" and those with pending deals with him.

Again, thanks for the heads-up for HCBF, willsellout. :thu:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, a pretty big blowup over there right now in that thread. Someone aired some dirty laundry and the seller of the Decade aired all of Squid's. Turns out he uses a third party paypal account so that his wife doesn't find out about all the stuff he buy's and sells:eek:

He closed his Squid account and opened a new one under the moniker 76Dub. The reason I'm posting is because I don't want anyone here doing any deals with this guy and getting ripped off.

Dan

Amazing. So, after reading that thread... I'm pretty sure you can guess who the "third party paypal account holder" is for my situation.

The $100 refund is still in pending state.

• Members

Guys, unless you buy it from the builder/manufacturer/retailer, with a return policy or hands on test drive, it 'ain't new, it ain't 'like new', and you should NEVER pay a premium. New is new, and used is never worth paying a 'new' price. Never. Don't ever offer close to the price of new for used. Personally I would never trust such a large transaction to complete strangers, involving sending mony for things I've never seen, from people I don't know, and just hope that it all works out and everyone is honest and fair. They aren't. And I've never been ripped by sellers of anything, past present, or future. Guard your hard earned cash!

• Members
Considering the "action of his own" that he has grounds to take consists of 1. Beating his friend and 2. Yelling at the computer screen in vain, I wouldn't worry too much...

Though it's amazing that you were able to hack Paypal and take his account hostage all by yourself...after this is done, you should give Paypal a heads up about such a security weakness
:D

My thoughts exactly :D

• Members
Action of his own? lol. What does that even mean? You should point out to him that he doesn't have much ground to stand on
:lol:

I haven't read paypal's rules, but I'm pretty sure that laundering money for someone else with your account doesn't absolve you of responsibility to make good on the sale and may result in a 100% refund instead of a $100 refund.

I am trying to be nice in the hopes that the $100 refund will clear and I can consider it a closed issue.

• Members
I haven't read paypal's rules, but I'm pretty sure that laundering money for someone else with your account doesn't absolve you of responsibility to make good on the sale and may result in a 100% refund instead of a $100 refund.

I am trying to be nice in the hopes that the $100 refund will clear and I can consider it a closed issue.

Well, you should read the rules and then point that out, too :thu:

• Members

1947.gif

You know, when people usually say "I will take actions of my own" to someone who is using extraneous means to hold said person in check... they may not be talking about using predictable means either.

If I was you, I would stop "holding his account hostage" before you get nailed for doing that. Sure, it is not as heinous as false-advertising, but if the guy was smart he would have you arrested for identity theft.

I may be reading this thread wrong, but blackmail is never a good idea.

• Members
1947.gif

You know, when people usually say "I will take actions of my own" to someone who is using extraneous means to hold said person in check... they may not be talking about using predictable means either.

If I was you, I would stop "holding his account hostage" before you get nailed for doing that. Sure, it is not as heinous as false-advertising, but if the guy was smart he would have you arrested for identity theft.

I may be reading this thread wrong, but blackmail is never a good idea.

You are reading the thread wrong. ;)

Him "holding his paypal account hostage" consisted of contacting paypal and opening a grievance which paypal then pursued in accordance to their conduct guidelines...

He hasn't stolen his identity, hacked his account, or held anything hostage...:D

This guy allowed his friend to screw someone using his paypal account, because of that, he's responsible, not his friend (and as phantasm pointed out, he's could actually responsible for a full refund, not just a $100 adjustment...

• Members

You are reading the thread wrong.
;)

Him
"holding his paypal account hostage"
consisted of contacting paypal and opening a grievance which paypal then pursued in accordance to their conduct guidelines...

He hasn't stolen his identity, hacked his account, or held anything hostage...

This guy allowed his friend to screw someone using his paypal account, because of that,
he's
responsible, not his friend (and as phantasm pointed out, he's could actually responsible for a full refund, not just a $100 adjustment...

Oh, Paypal locked his account.

Saying that someone is "holding your account hostage" does not leave much to the imagination. :o

• Members
Note that it was the fellow who's account was frozen that described it that way...His perception may be somewhat influenced by his situation

He was upset that I hadn't contacted him prior to opening the dispute, but the seller didn't tell me he was using a third party's paypal account for the transaction. He just said "send the money to this address." All I saw was that I couldn't contact the seller and Paypal was the only link left, so I filed a dispute.

Archived