Why are tube amps so damn heavy.

zesty brick

• Members

Transformers. Just not the kind that saves the world. If it weren't for the switching power supply, your computers would weigh just as much.

Are you saying tube amps didn't save the world???

HERETIC! :cop::cop::cop:

:wave:

• Members

Used to play through a 70 watt Sunn tube amp. Loved the tone. (Acoustic 301 single 18" cabinet. Very efficient.) That one didn't weigh a lot. (There's a price to be paid for high output tube amps.)

• Members

Used to play through a 70 watt Sunn tube amp. Loved the tone. (Acoustic 301 single 18" cabinet. Very efficient.) That one didn't weigh a lot. (There's a price to be paid for high output tube amps.)

Sunns are still 45 pounds minimum. At least they aren't as heavy as similar-vintage Ampegs.

• Members

The Sunn amp wasn't mine. (May have been the only time I borrowed an amp for playing through.) I really don't think it weighed 40 lbs. May look on the internet and see if specs are available. I'm not a loud bassist, and it really was enough for the places we played.

• Members

The exact answer isn't 'transformers' because all amps have transformers. Tube amps have an extra one or two as compared to most solid-state amps.

In addition to the standard power transformer that all amps have, there's also an output transformer and a filament (heater) transformer in a typical tube amp. The size and weight of a transformer at a particular power rating is directly related to its low end frequency response, so OTs in tube bass amps tend to be pretty big and heavy because they have to accurately couple low frequencies.

Amps like the SVT are especially heavy because they're built on heavy gauge steel chassis.

• Members

Not all amps have transformers. Some of the new amps are using the same switching power supplies that you find in computers. Much lighter. Similar to those speakers that use neodyne magnets. (Hope I didn't kill that spelling.)

• Members

Bass amplifiers are much more demanding than guitar amplifiers. The low frequencies and extra power required to reproduce them put extra strain on the components, especially the output transformers. They must be extra beefy to compensate and that is where a lot of the weight is. You can get away without an output transformer with a solid state amp (which is why they are lighter), but they are necessary with tube amps because the output impedance of tubes doesn't come anywhere near matching the impedance of speakers.

• Members

man, you guys are all missing the answer.

Did anyone see Jurasic Park?...the seen where the kid picks up the binoculars. The guy says "are those heavy?" The kid says "yeah". He says "then put them down, they're expensive".

Ergo, tube amps are heavy because they're expensive. When you carry it home, at least you know you bought something.:p

• Members

Not all amps have transformers. Some of the new amps are using the same switching power supplies that you find in computers. Much lighter. Similar to those speakers that use neodyne magnets. (Hope I didn't kill that spelling.)

Switched-mode power supplies have transformers in them, just not very big ones. Switching the incoming AC up to a couple hundred kHz allows them to use much smaller transformers than you can use at 60Hz. But they still have them.

;)

Archived