More bad news, economy [I]still[/I] not in resession

lug

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does the word recession even tell us what we need to know any more ? By definition it's a "close the barn door after the cow got out" kind of deal.

There are certainly some shifting winds, but depending which direction I look I get different impressions. The latest being...

Yesterday I ordered a new custom surfboard. The backlog is 5 months ! :eek:

Things can't be too awful. Yet anyways. :idk:

• Members

you cant use italics in a thread title, apparently...

"The pickup, while welcome, isn't likely to be seen as a signal that the fragile economy is growing healthier. "

Just wait until everybody starts buying back to school supplies. All those notebooks and {censored} will boost the numbers.

• Members

you cant use italics in a thread title, apparently...

"The pickup, while welcome, isn't likely to be seen as a signal that the fragile economy is growing healthier. "

Just wait until everybody starts buying back to school supplies. All those notebooks and {censored} will boost the numbers.

Yes, even Lug has learned something today (you cant use italics in a thread title) . The point was we were all but in a resession last quarter and sure to enter one by now. Now, even thought the economy has grown twice as fast as last quarter, it's still bad news! An "almost" resession is worse today that a real resession has ever been. I guess resession news sells more copy. :rolleyes:

• Members

Yes, even Lug has learned something today (you cant use italics in a thread title) . The point was we were all but in a resession last quarter and sure to enter one by now. Now, even thought the economy has grown twice as fast as last quarter, it's
still
bad news! An "almost" resession is worse today that a real resession has ever been. I guess resession news sells more copy.
:rolleyes:

Well, yeah, we all know bad news sells. Next.

(and you spelled recession incorrectly, so that's 2 things you learned today)

• Moderators

I can't get over the negative news. It's like they want people to feel bad. Here's a little gem hidden inside that depressing piece, though . . . .

"GDP, increased at an annual rate of 1.9 percent in the April-to-June period. That marked an improvement over the feeble 0.9 percent growth logged in the first quarter of this year and the outright contraction in the economy during the final quarter of last year."

• Members

Crap, GDP still up? When will things turn around! :mad:

Had our quarterly meeting with our finance guys the other day. The feeling is that the Economic Stimulus won't fully be seen until at least October. No idea how that works but that's what they said.

• Members

Crap, GDP still up? When will things turn around!
:mad:

Had our quarterly meeting with our finance guys the other day. The feeling is that the Economic Stimulus won't fully be seen until at least October. No idea how that works but that's what they said.

Yep. Furthermore, one-time cash tax rebates typically have a very short-run impact (1 to 2 quarters) on increased GDP growth rates. once that cash is gone, the economy quickly retreats to homeostasis; in this case 1.0 - 2.0 percent growth.

• Members

Yep. Furthermore, one-time cash tax rebates typically have a very short-run impact (1 to 2 quarters) on increased GDP growth rates. once that cash is gone, the economy quickly retreats to homeostasis; in this case 1.0 - 2.0 percent growth.

The economy's sexual orientation is not relative to the discussion and frankly, none of anybody's business! :mad:

• Members

Ben Stein said it best:

"We are in a psychological recession. People think times are really, really bad, but it is an amazing thing if you are out there among them: the hotels are full, the airlines are full, the high-end shops are full, the Wal-Mart is really, really, really full, the highways are full, the trains are full. But on the other hand, clearly some portions of the economy are suffering terribly."

source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/27/preston.mccain/index.html

• Members

Thy sky's not falling

the sky's no falling.

But CNN said falling sky has stalled. We are in a negative sky elevation period. I like how they always word it as a negative. If the economy grows, it is a negative decline, not a growth... Keep the gray cloud over the mindless masses... :confused:

• Members

Economic rebound not as energetic as hoped for

We were expecting an economic rebound? I don't remember hearing about that in the national news. All I heard was doom and gloom and Bush has lower ratings, except for Congress.

Archived