ATTN spanish speakers

ec437

• Members

I think the Spaniards do.

I have to watch spanish (as in from spain) movies with subtitles at times. Somehow a good portion of it sounds like incomprehensible gibberish. (the spaniards, I would say, are the spanish-speaking counterpart to the british, accent-wise[no offense to either])

Also, they use a lot (more than any other spanish speakers I've heard) of slang, much of which involves taking a dump on something they dislike (or something someone else likes deeply). Like if they are pissed at, say, a cat, they'll say "Me cago en la puta que pari

• Members

Interesting. Part of the reason for my tongue-in-cheek comment comes from my experience working with the Latin community at my last job. I don't speak Spanish at all, but most of them spoke English and were happy to converse with me about pretty much anything. Most of the people were from either Mexico or Ecuador, but we had folks from pretty much every Spanish-speaking South and Central American nation as well as those in the Caribbean.

Anyway, I've had more than one Puerto Rican tell me how they hated being confused for a Mexican (without any prompting on my part), and how the Spanish that most Mexicans spoke was "country talk" and not very intelligible. One of the employees was from Guatemala, and she didn't care for Colombians. After she helped some Colombian customers, she came up to me and told me about how "all Colombians think they're the sh*t," and how as soon as they opened their mouths she could tell were they were from.

It was very interesting, to say the least. It's almost like there's some sort of hierarchy among Latin American countries.

• Members

Your use of the
:facepalm:
smiley shows you choose to ignore the
:p
smiley. Therefore, I must use this smiley:
:cop:

My use of the :facepalm: smiley was to indicate dismay at the linguistic proficiency of the inhabitants of Texas and Arkansas, and thus your deduction and subsequent :cop: smiley are both presented in error, therefore I shall respond with both the :rolleyes: smiley and the :poke: smiley...If you continue to pursue the matter, I shall be forced to use smilies from outside this forum's hosting...:mad:

• Moderators

Interesting. Part of the reason for my tongue-in-cheek comment comes from my experience working with the Latin community at my last job. I don't speak Spanish at all, but most of them spoke English and were happy to converse with me about pretty much anything. Most of the people were from either Mexico or Ecuador, but we had folks from pretty much every Spanish-speaking South and Central American nation as well as those in the Caribbean.

Anyway, I've had more than one Puerto Rican tell me how they hated being confused for a Mexican (without any prompting on my part), and how the Spanish that most Mexicans spoke was "country talk" and not very intelligible. One of the employees was from Guatemala, and she didn't care for Colombians. After she helped some Colombian customers, she came up to me and told me about how "all Colombians think they're the sh*t," and how as soon as they opened their mouths she could tell were they were from.

It was very interesting, to say the least. It's almost like there's some sort of hierarchy among Latin American countries.

That has been my experience as well. Mexicans look down on Guatemalans (interestingly, at the same time Mexico objects to our border controls, they are tightening their own border with Guatemala. Gotta keep the riff-raff out, dontcha know!). A foreign exchange student from El Salvador once stormed out of the room after we'd been talking in Spanish, saying, "You talk like a Mexican!"

So no, it's certainly not one big, happy family in Latin America!

• Members

My use of the
:facepalm:
smiley was to indicate dismay at the linguistic proficiency of the inhabitants of Texas and Arkansas, and thus your deduction and subsequent
:cop:
smiley are both presented in error, therefore I shall respond with both the
:rolleyes:
smiley and the :poke: smiley...If you continue to pursue the matter, I shall be forced to use smilies from outside this forum's hosting...
:mad:

Bring it on, college boy! fighting0001.gif

Archived