How exactly do you slap?

BoredGuitarist7

• Members

LOL.
:)

I think he looks very confident in front of the camara though. On some YouTube videos, the teacher comes across as very hesitant and not sure what to say next.

He could have cleaned himself up a bit, shaved, showered, at least get a decent haircut. I don't want instruction from some dude who looks like he lives under a bridge selling pencils and carring a "will work for food" sign around his neck. We must have standards! :mad:

• Members

I want to learn how to slap bass too, but have a time. My bf tried showing me numerous times (he is GOOD at slapping) but I still can't get it!! I guess in time. I can slap the E string but can't the A without hitting other strings..and getting the pop/snapping after..grrr. I am not giving up tho. I am still new at playing, so in time, I am sure it'll happen. Right now, when I try it sounds like a bunch of chickens in a hen house getting it on! :freak::idk:

• Members

The best thing to take from these videos IMO is his right hand technique. So many players want to pound the {censored} out of the string with their thumb, and that makes your hits inaccurate. The idea is to get the string to bounce off of your thumb and into the last fret, not drive it down into the fret, so if you employ the "efficiency of motion" theory into your technique, your slap sound will be much cleaner, and more consistent. Realistically, you barely have to hit the string to get it to go "bonk".

My piece of advice when starting out is to forget about popping until you can slap out basslines on all 4 strings; it's hard to get a good sound when you slap the G string, but once you master slapping all 4 strings consistently, add in the pops.

Also, many slapstars like to scoop out their mids, because it gives them a more controlled sound. That comes at a price, though, because once you get back with the band, you'll have to add them back in to be able to hear yourself.

C7

• Members

Why would you hit the edge of the fretboard?
:confused:

I use the space between the end of the fretboard and the pickup, avoiding both.

There are songs that I play where I slap the strings ON the fretboard, usually right around the 19th fret or so, specifically when I am doing a lot of strumming along with slapping. It tightens the sound of everything way up, but especially the slapped notes when there is a lot of fast thumb action going on, and makes them blend together a bit more evenly which gives you some pretty awesome dynamic control. Generally, if I am slapping without doing much popping, you will find me slapping on the fretboard, and often it's not even near the end of the fretboard, but inching up closer to the 12th fret.

• Members

Good points made, also i want to point out (as was demonstrated in the video) that muting with the left or right hand is very important to a clean and consistant slap sound. I'm still trying to learn the technique and am getting better daily, but i have the hardest time muting and slapping w/ my left hand, perhaps my hands are too small...

The best thing to take from these videos IMO is his right hand technique. So many players want to pound the {censored} out of the string with their thumb, and that makes your hits inaccurate. The idea is to get the string to bounce off of your thumb and into the last fret, not drive it down into the fret, so if you employ the "efficiency of motion" theory into your technique, your slap sound will be much cleaner, and more consistent. Realistically, you barely have to hit the string to get it to go "bonk".

My piece of advice when starting out is to forget about popping until you can slap out basslines on all 4 strings; it's hard to get a good sound when you slap the G string, but once you master slapping all 4 strings consistently, add in the pops.

Also, many slapstars like to scoop out their mids, because it gives them a more controlled sound. That comes at a price, though, because once you get back with the band, you'll have to add them back in to be able to hear yourself.

C7

• Members

Absolutely. To have good facility I think you need to be able to slap and pop and each string. I've actually just started practicing slap/popping scales, I think it helps alot. Slapping and then popping the same string used to be really weird for me but now I have the hang of it.

Archived