Just Got An Email From Ron Paul

Thunderbroom

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I try to learn from the threads that are discussions, and it gets annoying when they so often turn into battles over semantics.

I have seen Thudmaker do that a few times, usually as a joke from what I can tell, but I haven't seen discussions turn into battles over semantics by anyone else. I've seen people act as though they are victims of semantic corrections, but in every case I can remember (I certainly haven't seen or remember them all) the issues were substantive and the "victim" simply didn't have the ability to identify them as such.

• Members

I was against the Chrysler bailout when it was occurring. It worked. I can't deny that. I'm not a fan of the Fed either, but the situation is what it is. What I want in an ideal world isn't what's at hand. Regardless, the conversation was started based on sensationalistic nonsense in a Ron Paul letter. I've yet to be persuaded that the Treasury Secretary is going to be the world's next dictator sending people to the gulag.

Looks like the Feds are coming to the rescue again.

Congress has approved $25b in guaranteed loans for US automakers.

• Moderators
Woohoo! I wonder how long this will keep them afloat before they start getting steamrolled by Toyota and Honda again.

Well, they'll probably keep getting steamrolled. This will just prolong the inevitable.

I would have liked to have seen GM cut at least another division out in order to qualify. . . . .perhaps Buick. I see little to no value in having both Buick and Cadillac.

• Members

Looks like the Feds are coming to the rescue again.

IMO, thats not as disruptive as the big bail out. The sad thing is thats it neccessary 30 YEARS after the foreign auto companies started kicking the Big 3's ass. Our quarterly profit/stock market driven investment economy is great for maximizing short term gains, but when it comes to long term startegies, it sucks ass.

• CMS Author

I missed this in the midst of being told I was calling people {censored}ing idiots...

The reason you got the response you did from Tbroom was because you just said
"who says it isn't their job"
and then said the idea of expressly limited powers isn't in the Constitution (when it explicitly is)...

It wasn't even a matter of "you were taught something different", because you didn't actually provide what you were taught...

You just said
"Who says it isn't?"
and then made a statement ignoring the 10th amendment (your statement, as it's written, is false, there's no interpretive structure to get around that, it's a claim about what is or isn't in the text, which is a matter of fact, not interpretation)...

If you had said something like:
"Who says it isn't their job? The Tenth amendment gives the powers necessary and proper to undertake the express powers of the government, and that could be seen to include this bailout as a matter of promoting the public welfare"
, that would be providing interpretation...

That statement would have likely gotten a rather different response from Tbroom and I likely wouldn't have posted anything, since you would have addressed the 10th amendment...

(and all that would have been accepted without you needing to be an expert or providing sources...funny that
;)
)

I can't tell if you're saying I was right but didn't substantiate it, or wrong.:)

• Members
+100000000000000

Thank you for that Craig. I left plenty of wiggle room in my post, using words such as "seems", and citing an actual court case, and for that - I get flayed for citing wikipedia and god knows what else.

Honestly, I didn't see anyone "flaying" you at all.

Well what did you expect - a cite from friking Lexus-Nexus?
:mad:

Wouldn't be a bad idea if you are discussing law.

I was hoping against hope that this could be an intelligent discussion, instead the usual intellectual bullying has reared it's head once more - a typical shout-down tactic....

so if someone disagrees with you and points out exactly why they disagree with you, it's shouting down? But if you post inflammatory rhetoric (which you do a lot, not necessarily in this thread though) then that's okay? Sound like you are hiving a bit of a problem distinguishing between people calling you out on inaccuracies or stating why they disagree with you, and being "attacked'. That's a great tactic though. Playing the victim. ;)

Kashue, you're not as smart as you think you are buddy; and I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

Actually, even though he and I have had a lot of disagreements on individual issues, KK is a very smart guy, and very knowlegable in many areas.

And I don't recall him even stating or even implying that you are stupid. Playing the victim again. ;)

And if you want condescending - how about this:

I can smoke you and Kindness together on bass guitar - guaranteed.

Never heard either of them play, but I would go toe to toe with you any time just because of this statement. It's rather obnoxious. And I've been playing for 30 years with a lot of formal training including playing for 3 years in symphonies, and can pretty much hang with anyone I've ever met including many famous musicians, by their account, not mine. Doesn't mean I'm "better" than anyone else. Just more experienced. ;) Music isn't a competition. :idea:

• Members
Funny. Newt was saying the exact same thing yesterday.
:)

Newt was talking about that last week, actually. :)

I wish I had recorded the radio interview. Was last Thursday. I think he stated it costs an additional $3B a year to institute these "safeguards", which have done absolutely zip to protect anyone.

But this is why you go into Accounting. If you pay me enough, I'll make you look like a billionaire with 200% annual growth over 7 years.

Piss me off, good luck getting a loan again- ever. ;)

• Members
I can't tell if you're saying I was right but didn't substantiate it, or wrong.
:)

I'm just saying that the reaction you got was likely not from merely disagreeing with Tbroom and I, but the fact you just threw out an apparently flip remark and a statement that was factually incorrect on its face...

Expressing the same opinion and phrasing it with more supporting info might have gotten disagreement, but not the "Um...What?" reaction that it did...:D

• Members
It seems as of late Dr. Paul is one of the last remaining politicians who truly stands for what he believes in and
will not give in to lobbyists and private interests.
I wish more people would listen to what he has to say.

The reason more people don't hear what he says is because he.. well.. doesn't give in to lobbyists :D

I don't think Ron Paul himself will manage to change the system, but I believe he can inspire younger people to.

Archived