Politics: Are These Obama Videos Only Creepy To Me?!?

Thunderbroom

• Members

I think the first one is a set up...there's something really fishy about it.

I think the second one is a half-baked "we are the world"

They aren't "Obama videos" either Jeff - he sure as hell didn't produce or release them. There are a lot of nutballs out there.

• Members

They aren't "Obama videos" either Jeff - he sure as hell didn't produce or release them. There are a lot of nutballs out there.

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

Maybe they're nutballs, maybe they're sincere people who believe they're doing some good. Maybe these were good ideas that were poorly executed.

Creepy? No.

• Members

Really???

I think they are very creepy. I don't think they relate to Obama, but they are creepy!

I'm gonna catch a ton of flak for this, but here goes...

The first reminds me of the Hitler Jugend movement...

The second is a cynical manipulation of using kids to voice political BS...

(dons Nomex suit...)

• Moderators

I'm gonna catch a ton of flak for this, but here goes...

The first reminds me of the Hitler Jugend movement...

The "Obama Youth" is an obvious analogy to the "Hitler Youth." So much so that I suspect the video is intentionally meant to bring to mind that connection.

• Members

Did the fat kid say "next sheriff" or "next chef"?
:D

The second one is just stupid, the first one is weird as hell...

Now, in the context of a frat organization, which is what the first one looks like, it makes more sense...But it's still weird...

It is a Fraternity. Those are probably pledges, and one of their tasks is to perform in front of some of the brothers. Note: the gold-painted boots. A friend of mine was an Alpha Omega at Virginia Tech, and I remember seeing him wear gold boots like those a few times. It's definitely a fraternity thing.

• Members

It is a Fraternity. Those are probably pledges, and one of their tasks is to perform in front of some of the brothers. Note: the gold-painted boots. A friend of mine was an Alpha Omega at Virginia Tech, and I remember seeing him wear gold boots like those a few times. It's definitely a fraternity thing.

Only issue with that? Those boys aren't college freshmen by a long shot.

It might be a junior frat thing, but they're not pledges...

I don't know if the Youtube info on that is correct, but it mentions a school, not a college...

• Members

I agree that it appears to be a fraternity thing. I also think it's creepy.

And Bob...by saying these are Obama videos I was not suggesting that they are produced by Obama...but you knew that already.

• Members

Seriously.

Some of those guys in the first video need to say "because of Obama I am inspired to be the next huge fatass."

Creepy? Yes.

The first one reminded me of the Hitler Youth also. I bet they scare Obama too. With expectations that high, the only possible option for him is to disapoint. I don't see how he's going to get a second term.

• Moderators
Creepy? Yes.

The first one reminded me of the Hitler Youth also. I bet they scare Obama too. With expectations that high, the only possible option for him is to disapoint. I don't see how he's going to get a second term.

That's easy. With the economy on the decline right now, chances are it will be on an uptick at the next election cycle. People vote on "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?: The answer will almost be a guaranteed "yes."

• Members

I don't really have a place to comment on the US politics, because I don't have any idea what's going on.

But, I will say that I agree with your comment on the second video, I think it's sad that they have made the kids do it. Then again they might have chosen to, I don't know.

• Members

Really???

I think they are very creepy. I don't think they relate to Obama, but they are creepy!

I don't think they're creepy at all.

The second one seems like an adult who had a cutesy idea that wound up coming off as contrived. I find it highly annoying. Definitely.

The first video comes to me through a more complex lens, and doesn't move me one way or another.

I think these are pledges for a service fraternity, the one that friends of mine joined when the major Black fraternities didn't accept them. And they did lame "steps" like the one in the video that Thunderbroom posted. The military garb is typical, especially for people who are pledging.

This is real stepping:

ohoQVj_t4DM

• Members

Only issue with that? Those boys aren't college freshmen by a long shot.

It might be a junior frat thing, but they're not pledges...

I don't know if the Youtube info on that is correct, but it mentions a school, not a college...

As I look closer, they do look pretty young, but I still see it as at least coming from the Black fraternity tradition. Maybe some adult thought it would be good to take some high school freshman and inspire them to act like college boys and aspire to become something.

Honestly, this video is quite uninteresting.

• Moderators

The first video comes to me through a more complex lens, and doesn't move me one way or another.

I think these are pledges for a service fraternity, the one that friends of mine joined when the major Black fraternities didn't accept them. And they did lame "steps" like the one in the video that Thunderbroom posted. The military garb is typical, especially for people who are pledging.

I understand all of that and still think it is creepy. I also think organized cheering at sporting events is creepy. So are memorized calls and responses in religious ceremonies. It was also creepy that "because of Obama..." Any one of those kids can be a doctor or architect or whatever, but it sure isn't because of Obama. If they think it is I am sad for them. :(

• Members

I got the first part of the video...being inspired by an African-American leader to become something. The pimping of his healthcare plan at the end had me going
:freak:
. How does that tie into a fraternity-type thing?

"Context is decisive"

We don't have access to the context of that video.

Archived