Obama Wins

Derek5272

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what part of that would get me banned...or I said I was going to start a thread about it. Giving it serious thought, now, though.

I assumed that mentioning it here meant you would do it here. Do whatever you want outside of here, but I think it would be in bad enough taste on here to at least lock the thread, if not get you banned.

• Members

Yeah, but he's not the first black president regardless of who's saying it. He's biracial. The one-drop rule has been out of vogue for many years.

What is it then? Majority? Plurality? 3/4? 7/8? Precisely who decides? And who gave them the right to decide? :confused:

As you note, "Black" isn't a matter of the law any more. If it's about genetics, you'll be hard pressed to find a single African-American that doesn't have a white ancestor somewhere. It seems to me it's about the perception of others as much as it's about self-identification.

Obama himself identifies as bi-racial. He claims his mother's family as much as his father's (maybe more so). But tell me, when most Americans look at him (Black or White), do they see similarity, or difference? Do they see him as he identifies himself? Or do they see him as they would have him?

Maybe most Americans look at him and see their own heritage as much as they see the other heritages in the US. I'd love for that to be the case...I'm just too cynical to believe that it actually is the case...:(

• Members

McCain gave a great concession speach. He actually gave two wonderful speaches today. I think he knows he ran a poor race but he was gracious in defeat. You can talk a lot of {censored}, but the man is, at heart, a class act and a hero. He may have gotten caught up in the political game, but he's someone to respect. I would also look for a Palin and Hillary 2012.

Dan

• Members

Yeah, but he's not the first black president regardless of who's saying it. He's biracial. The one-drop rule has been out of vogue for many years.

And how is "biracial" defined?

Mid-east, arabian, etc, are often not considered "white" as PC goes, yet are part of the "caucasian" subspecies. My understanding is that Obama is 1/4 white, 1/4 black, and 1/2 "arabic" or "mideastern".

Really, what's this mean?

In a way, to me it helps that such a "blended" person is elected. It probably helps smooth over the rough edges of someone of color being elected to the presidency.

He's still got his work cut out for him.

• Members

At least McCain's being very civil with his defeat speech - doesn't sound at all like he's going to demand any recounts.

Recount? Most of the precincts hadn't even reported yet. As soon as the polls closed, they announced Obama as the president-elect and McCain conceded... which I did not see coming so quickly. Some of these states were "won" by a matter of a few thousand votes, and that's really using exit polling.

• Members

Obama himself identifies as bi-racial. He claims his mother's family as much as his father's (maybe more so). But tell me, when most Americans look at him (Black or White), do they see similarity, or difference? Do they see him as he identifies himself? Or do they see him as they would have him?

As KK states, Obama identifies himself as biracial.

End of story.

Now...where's my free {censored}?

• Members

Recount? Most of the precincts hadn't even reported yet. As soon as the polls closed, they announced Obama as the president-elect and McCain conceded... which I did not see coming so quickly. Some of these states were "won" by a matter of a few thousand votes, and that's really using exit polling.

Do I smell another Florida 2000?

• Members

As a Registered Republican all I can say is

what a great night!

I mean that with all sincerity.

My Wife actually made me think of which way I should vote by this one question

"what have the Republicans done for you in the last 8 years to improve the quality of your life"

She was right.... they did nothing.

A radical change is needed. I know that Obama cannot acomplish a lot of what needs to be done but the Country as a whole won tonight because we voted to change something and thats what its all about

• Members

It's not strictly exit polling, it's more of a hybrid of exit polls and actual vote counts. They watch the actual counts and if those reinforce the results of the exit polls, they will call the state ahead of time. If the exit polling is leaning enough towards one candidate or the other, then it is basically assumed that the actual votes will affirm that lean.

Archived