Epifani releases 4/8 Ohm switchable cabinets.

L. Ron Hoover

• Members

Nicked from one of the NAMM threads on TB. Pic by Tom Bowlus.

IMG_7181.JPG_595.jpg

They're calling them the D.I.S.T. series cabinets (Dual impedance switch technology?).

Unlike a previously marketed 4/8 Ohm impedance switch that shall remain nameless, this system actually works. They're using drivers with dual voice coils to achieve it. I think it's a neat idea. Nice to see a manufacturer thinking "outside the box" so to speak.

• Members

Nicked from one of the NAMM threads on TB. Pic by Tom Bowlus.

IMG_7181.JPG_595.jpg

They're calling them the D.I.S.T. series cabinets (Dual impedance switch technology?).

Unlike a previously marketed 4/8 Ohm impedance switch that shall remain nameless, this system actually works. They're using drivers with dual voice coils to achieve it. I think it's a neat idea. Nice to see a manufacturer thinking "outside the box" so to speak.

I'm really glad that they're ACCU-rately describing how their product achieves this. ;)

• Members

Dual voice-coils have been common in high-end car audio subs for years... it's amazing they took this long to figure it out.

The Kicker Solobaric 12 in my little Toyota has two 4 ohm voice coils. The old Kicker Comps I had in my wagon were dual voice-coil, and those were purchased in 1996.

• Members

Dual voice-coils have been common in high-end car audio subs for years... it's amazing they took this long to figure it out.

The Kicker Solobaric 12 in my little Toyota has two 4 ohm voice coils. The old Kicker Comps I had in my wagon were dual voice-coil, and those were purchased in 1996.

I'm sure they were aware that dual VC drivers have been around for a while but applying it to a high end speaker and getting it right probably took some time. I think these drivers are also Neo so the cabs will be good and light.

• Members

I still don't get the need for a dual impedance cab. Sure, there is a series of situations where it would be neat to have, but I don't see it as much more than a novelty.

Well, say you have two amps and two of these cabs. One goes down to 4 ohms (say a more modern SS amp, like a LM2 or a Shuttle) and one that goes to 2 ohms (SVT or what have you). You'd still be able to use both cabs in parallel. That's pretty neat.

• Members

It is beyond me why anyone would want TWO of these beasts, though... One would be enough for almost all situations.

If it's in a 1x12 box, it would be a novelty. Then again, I clearly don't get it because I don't own a single bass amp, let alone two very different amps requiring different loading.

• Members

No {censored}, I always wondered why this was not done. The 2 ohm/4 ohm subs are pretty damn cool :)

Archived