HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Exploration of the JTM45

Kindness

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Will it give me teh Brootalz tonezz? If not, go away t00b boy... :poke::poke:

:D

• Members

Excuse my nitpicking, but that's not a choke input supply in the schematic. It is a cap input filter, because the 32 mfd cap is before the inductor. If it was a choke input PS, the choke would be before the first 32 mfd capacitor, and before the connection to the primary of the output transformer. And there would be a second choke after the first capacitor. A true choke input filter would reduce ripple in the B+ significantly, but would also drop the B+ more than a cap input filter, and maybe too much for our use. FWIW, the performance of a choke filter can be improved by adding a capacitor in parallel with the inductor. The size of the capacitor is determined by the formula C= 1/567913 x L where L is the value of the choke in Henries.

• Moderators

Excuse my nitpicking, but that's not a choke input supply in the schematic. It is a cap input filter, because the 32 mfd cap is before the inductor. If it was a choke input PS, the choke would be before the first 32 mfd capacitor, and before the connection to the primary of the output transformer. And there would be a second choke after the first capacitor. A true choke input filter would reduce ripple in the B+ significantly, but would also drop the B+ more than a cap input filter, and maybe too much for our use. FWIW, the performance of a choke filter can be improved by adding a capacitor in parallel with the inductor. The size of the capacitor is determined by the formula C= 1/567913 x L where L is the value of the choke in Henries.

Excellent! I'll look at that. I noticed a few days ago I called the EL34s beam tetrodes when they are in fact pentodes. I need to revise that section as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived