looking for a bass

jw3092

• Members

im looking to buy a bass for recording my budget is around $300 tops. i wont be gigging with it or anything. just planning on running it through a di box and reamping for different songs. i play mostly metal and rock if that helps at all.:thu:

• Members

would i need to replace anything like tuners, electronics or anything?

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but even after that you're looking at 300, maybe 325 dollars of bass that (from everything I've heard from almost everyone that's owned one) will be equal to or outperform anything you're gonna find in that price range.

• Members

If you go with SX, you will want to at least replace the pots and jack. Everything else can remain stock and you'll have a great bass afterwards.

If you get the Squier VM basses, you won't need to do anything to them. Just plug them up and go.

Either way you will have a good solid bass to do what you are talking about. :thu:

• Members

I've picked up 2 Iby SR-400's for $250 used, one fretted, one fretless. Both are excellent basses for the buck, PJ pickup arrangement with 3-band active preamp, and among my favorites to play.

Also have a Cort Curbow 4, fretless, that was $250 also. It has a single Bartolini humbucker and 3-band preamp. Also a great bang for the buck.

• Members

Lovin' the black pickgaurd.

I right now have a mim p-bass would it be wise to sell it off buy the SX and upgrade pots/pickupgs and anything else with the extra money?

Eh, I'd say save your dimes and upgrade what you've got. A Badass or Gotoh bridge and some Quarter Pounders would go a long way towards making that thing a tone machine.

• Members

If you go with SX, you will want to at least replace the pots and jack. Everything else can remain stock and you'll have a great bass afterwards.

If you get the Squier VM basses, you won't need to do anything to them. Just plug them up and go.

Either way you will have a good solid bass to do what you are talking about.
:thu:

All he is gonna use it for is to plug in and lay down a bass line ,,,, It will be fine just like it is. If his recorder is anything like mine it has a ton of bass modelers. Pick one that sounds good and thump away

• Members

Eh, I'd say save your dimes and upgrade what you've got. A Badass or Gotoh bridge and some Quarter Pounders would go a long way towards making that thing a tone machine.

I'm just really digging the p/j pickups and of course the color of the maple neck with the body. What does the sx really need to make it sound > mediocre. pickups? pots? and a good set up?

• Members

I'm just really digging the p/j pickups and of course the color of the maple neck with the body. What does the sx really need to make it sound > mediocre. pickups? pots? and a good set up?

Seems like the standard upgrades on them are pickups, electronics, tuners, and bridge. The body and neck are what you're paying for, and you won't find a real wood body (by real wood I mean not plywood or poplar/basswood) for cheaper than that.

• Members

Seems like the standard upgrades on them are pickups, electronics, tuners, and bridge. The body and neck are what you're paying for, and you won't find a real wood body (by real wood I mean not plywood or poplar/basswood) for cheaper than that.

k thanks for the suggestions. I think I just might save up and buy myself a stingray. :lol:

• Members

Ibanez SR300 or Esp Ltd B104. Both are much better bass out of the box then anything SX and have a good active preamp onboard too. Better build, better hardware, better pups, better necks. Lower end of Peavey would also be worth a look.

Used basses are also great route to take.

• Members

Only you can answer that question for you. And as another in this thread has said, since you are recording, some of your bass sound can be modeled. Which brings up another question only you can answer: How good does the stock bass sound have to be?

IMO the only way for you to really know what you want to know is to get an SX in your hands an play it (but at LEAST change the strings before you make your final decision on tone). And now that I think about it, since you don't really need the flexibility of an onboard pre, I would suggest my best passive suggestion: get an SX SJB and install a switch to do parallel and serial pups. You might very well wind up letting your P go. For what this option costs you could buy the SX, do the mod and then decide without too much pain.

• Members

What don't you like about the MIM P?

I've got one sitting right here, and a Rondo SX P/J sitting in the next room, so ask away.....

I'll tell you one thing: if you haven't upgraded the pickups on the MIM P, do yourself a favor and get the fender 62 Vintage Alnico V's.

It'll sound like a P bass should sound after you do that; the stock MIM ceramic magnet pickups were overly hot and muddy.

Sure there's hot rod aftermarket pickups but if you want the sound of a P bass, stick with the Fender 62 Vintage, you can't go wrong.

They just won't have a cool sounding name like Seymour Duncan or Bartolini....:lol:

If you get the SX you'll want to upgrade the PUP's immediately.

They're workable but the tone is thin; the P pup does not thump anything at all like it should, and the Jazz pup lacks definition and is thin.

Archived