My wife wins!

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'll be as brief as I can.

I had a pretty crappy birthday last week which included a gift I had to order myself and no real gift (not a card or even a pair of socks) from my wife and kids.

As most of you know, I work 60+ hours a week and am a full-time doctoral student. My wife is a stay-at-home mom and staffs about 10 hours a week (at minimum wage) at my kids' school. She also does some side corporate training jobs that I lined up for her.

She's away this weekend for a little R&R and texted me earlier today to tell me she's decided on a gift for me. She told me to pick the dates (because she knows I'm totally overextended), and she's going to take me on a vacation somewhere using money she's earned. She's thinking of just spinning a globe and selecting a destination.

You have no idea how much I appreciate this. I am ecstatic. I'm kinda wondering if I should suggest some destinations. I haven't been to Europe in over 20 years. I also think a cruise...maybe Alaska...would be fun. The timeframe would most likely be in July of this year due to my work, school and gig schedule.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is there any difference in cruise lines?

I have no idea, but it seems like there are a pile of resources available to help you pick a winner.

I'm not far enough removed from the navy to feel like a cruise would be a good time. :D

• Members

Pardon my French, but Alaska is f'ing incredible!!

Although, I didn't take a cruise... and we packed as much as humanly possible into the 12 days we were inland. But it was quite amazing.

I think a cruise through the "Inside Passage" would be phenomenal! If I were going to take a cruise to Alaska... I that would be it. That, or maybe the Aleutian islands.

• Members

Going to Alaska and going on a cruise to Alaska are (probably) two VERY different things. I went on a cruise there with celebrity cruise lines, and while it was nice, you had best enjoy being waited on by people from places like Sierra Leone and hanging out with old people. Would probably work fine if you're just looking to relax! I'd do it again, but I would rather do a second trip to Alaska some other way, such as driving the trans-alaskan highway through the Yukon to Anchorage and camping in somewhere along the way. After all, that's what Alaska is all about...

• Members

Going to Alaska and going on a cruise to Alaska are (probably) two VERY different things. I went on a cruise there with celebrity cruise lines, and while it was nice, you had best enjoy being waited on by people from places like Sierra Leone and hanging out with old people. Would probably work fine if you're just looking to relax! I'd do it again, but I would rather do a second trip to Alaska some other way, such as driving the trans-alaskan highway through the Yukon to Anchorage and camping in somewhere along the way. After all, that's what Alaska is all about...

I'm not an outdoorsy guy. Checking out the scenery: Yes! Living in the scenery(camping): No!

Who knows? Maybe we'll just go back to SanFranFunky! I loved it there. Seattle would be great as well. I've been there, but my wife hasn't. I think visiting England would be a blast as well.

• Members

I'm not an outdoorsy guy. Checking out the scenery: Yes! Living in the scenery(camping): No!

Who knows? Maybe we'll just go back to SanFranFunky! I loved it there. Seattle would be great as well. I've been there, but my wife hasn't. I think visiting England would be a blast as well.

If you're not payin', go to Sweden fosho :D

• Moderators
...I also think a cruise...maybe Alaska...would be fun. The timeframe would most likely be in July of this year due to my work, school and gig schedule.

That's awesome of your wife. Just an FYI-- I have an associate who took an Alaskan cruise and she had a fabulous experience.

• Members

A bunch of the Alaska cruises begin and end here - I bet I could entertain you for a couple of hours anyway...

Archived