Go Chevy!!

philthygeezer

• Members

Edmunds is now doing comparisons where they take people off the streets and get them to do all the testing.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=123972/pageNumber=1

Chevy consistently beat Toyota. Look's like Chevy has maybe learned their lesson in terms of product. Now can they build a reputation for long-term quality? More importantly, can they survive the whirlwind they are currently reaping to do it?

IMO they blew it with Saturn, but now it seems like back to basics. Quality for money.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never liked the Toyota's I test drove. The Ford and Chevy's always felt better. I'd never own a Chevy or Ford though because they are so incredibly overpriced. That and I know when I buy a Nissan, Toyota, or Honda that I won't ever have to worry about reliability. Meanwhile my friend is dealing with his Chrysler PT Cruiser which needs a new engine because of a design flaw that they know about but won't recall.

Seriously I'd love to buy American but they had better be building up to par and they'd better take care of their customers, otherwise they will fail.

Dan

• Members

Ford and Chevy are overpriced, compared to Toyota or Nissan? :freak:

I remember not too long ago, Chevy and Toyota were building the Corolla and Geo Prism on the same assembly line. The Toyota was $4000 dollars more.

Chryslers and Dodge are {censored}e, I agree. But Ford and Chevy are a lot more reliable these days then 30 years ago. And in some cases, better engineered.

• Members

Meanwhile my friend is dealing with his Chrysler PT Cruiser which needs a new engine because of a design flaw that they know about but won't recall.

Seriously I'd love to buy American but they had better be building up to par and they'd better take care of their customers, otherwise they will fail.

Dan

I had a Ford Taurus with a design flaw in the radiator that they knew about but wouldn't rectify over the lifespan of that generation. Nothing builds customer loyalty like rads failing at 52K and rotors warping beyond repair before the first turn. I put less than 10K on that car and sold it because the failures were scaring the {censored} out of my wallet.

In short, I feel the same way. Until I have proof that domestic automakers take their customers' convenience and wallets seriously, they won't get another dime from me. They destroyed their street cred and now have to work three times as hard to get it back. You'll see me in a Honda or even a Mazda until then.

But I'm rooting for them.

• Members

In the early '90s, while at Los Alamos, I worked on the development of a fuel cell power vehicle with GM. They were intent on "teaching us about the car business" and one of the things they taught us was not to be concerned with any part lasting over 100K miles as original owners didn't keep a car that long. When considering a GM product, I always keep this in mind.

• Members

I will continue to buy Ford trucks (I have two currently - 1998 F150 ext. cab with 109K miles, and 2002 Sport Trak with 77K miles), but I haven't seen the car yet better than my wife's Avalon, at least not for the extra money they'd want. I am pretty sure she will buy another Avalon when this one wears out.

• Members

A buddy of mine bought a new Olds (obviously a few years back) and the fuel pump went with only 20 K on it. He was raving to me about how great it was that GM had 24 hour roadside assistance and how they picked him up after he had called them from the side of the highway....I think the point to be made was a car with 20K on it should not leave someone stranded at the side of the highway in the first place.:mad:

If you want reliability you have to go with one of the big 3....Toyota, Honda or Nissan.

• Members

A buddy of mine bought a new Olds (obviously a few years back) and the fuel pump went with only 20 K on it. He was raving to me about how great it was that GM had 24 hour roadside assistance and how they picked him up after he had called them from the side of the highway....I think the point to be made was a car with 20K on it should not leave someone stranded at the side of the highway in the first place.
:mad:

If you want reliability you have to go with one of the big 3....Toyota, Honda or Nissan.

Completely agree. As far as I'm concerned, anything under 50k should run absolutely perfectly.

On the other hand, {censored} happens. I give them props for the good CS.

• Members

What? Cobalts didn't replace Camaros...
:confused:

I could've sworn that's what I read quite awhile ago... Camaros were discontinued for a more modern car, and it turned into the Cobalt... :confused:

Either way, guess what, Camaros were discontinued for awhile, and the ugly Cobalts were allowed to roam free. Blasphamy! :mad:

• Members

Having said that, I think my next car will be an STi.
:p

Good luck with that. Car and Driver Magazine attempted to do a long term road test on a 2008 STi, but to date haven't been able to complete it because they can't keep the car running long enough.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/long_term_road_tests/2008_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_long_term_road_test_update

• Members

Good luck with that. Car and Driver Magazine attempted to do a long term road test on a 2008 STi, but to date haven't been able to complete it because they can't keep the car running long enough.

Sounds like they got a lemon.

Archived