What's the word on the MTD Kingston Heir?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MTDKingstonHeir.jpg
Looks just like this one.....

Sa-weeet!

I like the two pickup H-S arrangement of the Heir, better than the single of the plain Kingston. It will allow you a beefier bottom, and/or smoothed out top, while still being able to get all of the growl out of the singe if you like.

To me, a good choice!

Now, I would say, if you get it and find it fits comfortably in your hands, more ore less, put some serious time into learning it intimately.

Nice!

:thu:

• Members

I really like the sound of my passive/active Spector Legend. Fat and smooth.

I'm hoping the MTD does have more of a bite and growl to it. Mostly wanting a tighter low B. Actually, I buy a lighter 4 string set, and tune it up to C. I run an old thick low B string.....even then my Jazz V is loose and floppy sounding. :(

The band I'm in is playing stoner rock.....Kyuss and the melvins.....plus SLEEP-esque originals.

That said, I'm not sure I could ditch my MIA Jazz even if the MTD sounds better.......not sure why, either? I love that bass......it's been my #1 for a while now. Kinda makes me sad to think I may not be playing it as much. :(

Very emotional today.

• Members

I was happy with my two maple board five string MTDs, a Kingston Heir in SB and a regular Kingston in red. The only thing that bothered me was the lack on dots on the fingerboard. I had a hard time with that. The side dots were tiny and hard to see too. I had to devise a way to put dots on the fingerboard. I sold them both though and stopped the 5 string thing altogether. But the Heir was sweet sounding and fun to play. W i d e string spacing that was good for slap style. Enjoy yours.

• Members

My Kingston 5'er is my main gigging bass. I love the neck, still the most comfy neck I've ever played. Mine is the old passive one with a basswood body which is a plus with my bad back, too.

I also had a trans-red Artist 5'er for a little while but I traded it for something else......I can't even remember what.:rolleyes:

Oh, and I like the lack of fret dots.

• Members

"You devised a way to put dots on?? "

Yes, I used this peel off black stick on stuff I found. I used a hand hole punch to make dots, peeled off the backing and stuck em on the board. they stayed in place well. worked for me and couldn't really play without them.

• Members

"You devised a way to put dots on?? "

Yes, I used this peel off black stick on stuff I found. I used a hand hole punch to make dots, peeled off the backing and stuck em on the board. they stayed in place well. worked for me and couldn't really play without them.

That's easy enough.....

...have to wait and see if it's an issue or not.

• Members

Got to a GC last week and tried out both their new Kingston Z and the Heir.

The Z was lifeless for the low B string. Garbage. No sustain, no volume, weak and lame. Those wood-covered pickups must be stolen from an Alvarez or something.

The Heir, however, was night-and-day different. HUGE THICK TONE. Rumble, honk, shimmer, everything. Played like the Z but far better tone. Beats the {censored} outta that ZX I ordered from Atlanta. Makes me wanna try MTD one more time.

For a better sounding bass that cost less than that ZX, I can't really ignore it. I'll snag it before my next gig and give it a really honest test-drive.

• Members

Got to a GC last week and tried out both their new Kingston Z and the Heir.

The Z was lifeless for the low B string. Garbage. No sustain, no volume, weak and lame. Those wood-covered pickups must be stolen from an Alvarez or something.

The Heir, however, was night-and-day different. HUGE THICK TONE. Rumble, honk, shimmer, everything. Played like the Z but far better tone. Beats the {censored} outta that ZX I ordered from Atlanta. Makes me wanna try MTD one more time.

For a better sounding bass that cost less than that ZX, I can't really ignore it. I'll snag it before my next gig and give it a really honest test-drive.

The Z is a higher priced model?

That's really good the hear, since I hadn't had a chance to play one in person. Basically bought it based on other people's opinions.

How'd you like the electronics? Responsive and flexible controls?

• Members

Sweet choice.

Just like mine except I had the maple FB.

The ZX had a perfectly clean, no dots no markers white maple fretboard. Half the reason I loved it at first.

Oh well.... not every bass is gonna kick ass.....

• Members

The Z is a higher priced model?

That's really good the hear, since I hadn't had a chance to play one in person. Basically bought it based on other people's opinions.

How'd you like the electronics? Responsive and flexible controls?

Electronics? Dunno. Just dialed everything to flat and started BASHING at it. It was a standard Low/Mid/High/Blend/Master 5-knob setup. If they could add a push-pull pot for going active/passive, DONE.

Here's the thing though, with MTD's. Mike Tobias loves his fanning strings. Everything up lower than the 7th fret feels nice and tight, fast, closely spaced. LOVE IT. But then I get to the 12th fret and higher for some serious noodling, and the string spacing gets very uncomfortable for my hands. The neck down there is like swinging a sword, by gripping the blade. Flat and wide, and hurts!

If he made a less-tapered neck and bridge spacing, I'd be done looking.

I want a Gibson-made Tobias Killer B, because of the narrow spacing, asymmetrical neck profile, same bodystyle and balance, great electronics and Barts. If a Kingston came around that had the same playability, I'd get it.

But maybe I can just retrain my hands to like the wider neck near the body. I dunno.

Gonna go jam on it summore this week.

As for higher-priced, the Z is definitely built with a more cosmetic choice of woods. Got that spalted top thing kicking. Doesn't really tickle me too much. But the sunburst on the Heir is classic, elegant, well-done, and doesn't seem to overly brighten the tone. Simple flamed maple tops are nice.

• Members

Would it be hard to mod the bass to have a push/pull passive/active pot?

My hands are huge so that larger spacing will probably be welcomed....with smaller necks I tend to wrap my thumb around. Bad Technique, but I can't seem to help it.

I love my Fender Jazz V for that reason alone......wide and flat.

I wonder if it's much wider then a 5 string jazz?

Logic tells me the wider spacings may cause one to play slower?

The ornate tops don't really do anything for me either.

The Heir is about as fancy as I'll ever get.

• Members

Would it be hard to mod the bass to have a push/pull passive/active pot?

My hands are huge so that larger spacing will probably be welcomed....with smaller necks I tend to wrap my thumb around. Bad Technique, but I can't seem to help it.

I love my Fender Jazz V for that reason alone......wide and flat.

I wonder if it's much wider then a 5 string jazz?

Logic tells me the wider spacings may cause one to play slower?

The ornate tops don't really do anything for me either.

The Heir is about as fancy as I'll ever get.

It's got 19mm spacing with an assymetrical neck. I have big hands too, which is why I LUBBB the MTD neck, and why Bryan bitches constantly b/c he loves 'em but can't play 'em!! :D

• Members

19mm is the same as a Jazz.
:thu:

Can you elaborate on the asymmetrical neck profile?

Ya iss comfy, I really like it. Moddy is FINALLY doing this on their Quantums... bout effing time!!!

It's kind of hard to explain. From Wiki:

Tobias basses also were among the first to feature an asymmetrical neck, a design where the neck is thinner on the lower side than the upper.[1]

It doesn't even look or feel weird really, as much as it sounds.

It just "fits" in your hands. Lub it.

• Members

Exactly why I can't STAND to walk into a store that stocks Tobias basses. If there's a Killer B5, I can't leave the store. What? You have a wedding? {censored} YOU SIT DOWN SHUT UP. You ain't going nowhere. I'm camping here on this bass til they kick me out.

Archived