Korg DTR-2 rack tuner......really that bad?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Tune using natural harmonics. Hit the 12th fret open harmonic, then tune. Far more accurate regardless of the make and model of your tuner.

Not true says Dan Erlewine

EDIT: Actually...I think I'm wrong here. He wsays using the 5/7 harmonic tuning method isn't accurate in the least. Using octave harmonics is accurate in theory.

I still don't see how using that method is far more accurate than using a tuner. You're relying completely on your ability to hear a pitch and match it. A tuner takes that guesswork right out.

Also...you need to start with a baseline pitch somehow. Without a tuner you're doing that completely by ear as well. I'm not saying it can;t be done, but saying it's more accurate than a tuner is silly.

• Members

I think I have the DTR-1.

Significant freaking improvement over the TU-2 I'd been using..

and I'm with bry- I tune @ the 12th fret, open harmonics.

I have a first run DTR-1 and it's still going strong over a decade later. It's logged thousands of miles on the road as a pro guitar tech too.

I think the few bad reviews maybe came from a bad run or something, it's very two sided, either it's amazing or it sucks because it's noisey. I blame the unit, not the model there personally.

• Members

I just run my Tuner Out from the Titan into it, so it never even hits my signal chain.

Tracks as accurately as I could ask.

same with me with my GBE-600, I just wish the Genz had a tuner out on the back of the head, and not the front.

• Members

I have a first run DTR-1 and it's still going strong over a decade later. It's logged thousands of miles on the road as a pro guitar tech too.

I think the few bad reviews maybe came from a bad run or something, it's very two sided, either it's amazing or it sucks because it's noisey. I blame the unit, not the model there personally.

Cool that's good to hear.

I plan on using the tuner out on the front of teh XS400H anyway....so noise isn't really an issue for me unless it effects tuning stability.

Speaking of, does the XS400H have a footswitchable mute....so I can tune silently?

• Members

Speaking of, does the XS400H have a footswitchable mute....so I can tune silently?

Yes it does. It has a jack for a 2 button FS which controls the overdrive and effects loop and a second FS jack for a single button which is the tuner mute.

Here is my mid 90's DTR-1 and XS400H racked up and ready to go.

rig.jpg

• Members

The DTR-2 has inputs on the front though....right?
:confused:

yeah, it has two on the front, and 2 on the back. I just don't like having a 1 foot cable hanging off of the front of my head to the tuner....looks like some sort of modular synth or something....and I have to disconnect it every time I pack up the head. If it was on the back, I would never touch it.

• Members

Yes it does. It has a jack for a 2 button FS which controls the overdrive and effects loop and a second FS jack for a single button which is the tuner mute.

Here is my mid 90's DTR-1 and XS400H racked up and ready to go.

Awesome rig. :thu:

PERFECT! Now, how do you hook up the tuner in the back?:cop:

I'm looking at the manual and do not see the mute footswitch jack?

• Members

Awesome rig.
:thu:

PERFECT! Now, how do you hook up the tuner in the back?
:cop:

Thanks. I am looking to sell off the TC115 in favour of a 412 cab to be biamped from both amps shown. :D

I am presently not using my effects loops, so it's patched from the send. I use the FS and mute from the DTR-1 and not the head. Works fine, and no extra cables hang out the front.

• Members

Thanks. I am looking to sell off the TC115 in favour of a 412 cab to be biamped from both amps shown.
:D

I am presently not using my effects loops, so it's patched from the send. I use the FS and mute from the DTR-1 and not the head. Works fine, and no extra cables hang out the front.

How much you want for it? I'm looking to add a 15.....:o

So you plug directly into the tuner?:confused:

• Members

How much you want for it? I'm looking to add a 15.....
:o

So you plug directly into the tuner?
:confused:

I plug out of the XS400H's effects loop into the tuner. The signal doesn't pass through the tuner, just into it. I don't make the return connection at all, don't need too.

I'd probably let the TC115 go for $250 plus actual shipping. It's basically new, I think I've plugged into it at bedroom volumes less than 5 times. I just don't need it, I don't need any significant volume at home, so it just sits there. Not big enough for the big rig and too big for at home. I bought it right at a time when I thought I'd need it, then things fell apart right after and never did. Now it's furniture. Where are you located?

• Members

I still don't see how using that method is far more accurate than using a tuner. You're relying completely on your ability to hear a pitch and match it. A tuner takes that guesswork right out.

Using the 12th fret harmonic to tune TO A TUNER. Instead of tuning with open strings or fretted strings. The tuner can track the higher octave easier than the open string. Especially for low B strings.

And I always double-check back and forth anyways. If I 5th-fret-open tune, or 5th-7th harmonic tune, I still check to my tuner afterwards, and vicey-versey.

• Members

Using the 12th fret harmonic to tune TO A TUNER. Instead of tuning with open strings or fretted strings. The tuner can track the higher octave easier than the open string. Especially for low B strings.

I agree. I can understand not fretting at 12th to tune as that introduces the variable of bad intonation into the equation, but an open string 12th harmonic by the laws of physics must be identical in pitch, only one octave up from the open note. And as you stated, any tuner will read a higher note better.

Archived