And so it starts...

knuckle_head

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't imagine that it'd be noticeably worse. I mean, once you put them on a bass and stretch the snot out of 'em, now that seems like some some serious abuse. Exactly how bad coiling though?

It depends on how long they've been coiled. Metal develops a memory, and coiling compresses one side of a string ultimately loosening the winds. Additionally, very few strings fresh off a winder want to naturally be coiled as tight as standard retail packs require.

I am not the first to do this, but I may be the only one at the moment. It isn't a retail-friendly thang.

• Members
I met them at my first NAMM - they were right across the aisle from me. They're awesome!

:D

My string brand is Circle K Strings.

My old band was sponsored by them. I used to get free strings whenever I needed them. They are about a 2 hour drive from my house. Really nice guys.

• Members

Will you sell singles?

Will you publish tension?

In time singles will be available. In addition to balanced and traditional/progressive tension sets there will be 3+1, 4+1 and 5+1 sets for drop tuners - once we've grown the inventory.

The data is collected on the gauges we have, and yes we'll publish unit weight information along with a web app to do online tension calculation when inventory is fleshed out.

• Members

Skip, in your opinion, if one were to use one of those Hipshot D-Tuners to regularly switch between E and D, would you recommend optimising string and setup choices for E or for D?

Assume equal time at both tunings.

Of course either will be a compromise. And the differences are probably trivial, but what are your thoughts?

• Moderators

Skip, in your opinion, if one were to use one of those Hipshot D-Tuners to regularly switch between E and D, would you recommend optimising string and setup choices for E or for D?

Assume equal time at both tunings.

Of course either will be a compromise. And the differences are probably trivial, but what are your thoughts?

Eb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In the interim we provide two 'flavors' in this regard; Traditional which has a higher degree of tension on treble strings as compared to the bass side, and Balanced which has more consistent tension across the fretboard.

Did you raise the tension on the low strings, or lower the tension on the high strings to balance them?

I only see standard length strings. No Quake strings.

Also, what would you suggest for a 32" scale, tuned to Eb with an occasional drop Db?

• Members

I went to order a set, but no .105 balanced! I'm really intrigued by a "balanced" set, and would like to give one a shot. I guess I should probably order the next gauge up?

There are three additional gauges that will open things up a little. I am test driving a .165 .155 and .145 that will call for support gauges that will allow just about anything under .125. The .195 is a success and will arrive at the same time.

Any and all y'all need to let me know if they work. I am in a bubble with my bass, and haven't been able to do anything off the rack for almost 10 years. I like what they do on on my Quake, but I reference things differently than most do.

Archived