And so it starts...

knuckle_head

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup - but not what you might expect. I was after flexibility and they deliver that. If a stiffer feel is your objective then higher tension would be my recommendation.

No, I was just thinking about getting both types to do my own tactile comparison for funzies, not really a big issue.

• Moderators

What are we looking at here? Is that the packaging? Something different than the standard string bag/box?

I was playing my P basses tonight and was digging the difference between the very flexible low gauge strings and the less flexible higher gauge between the basses. Am I going to be able to get complete sets from you in light gauges as well as heavy gauges for my four bangers?

• Members

It is indeed the packaging. Coiling strings is bad for them.

You'll have a choice of .090 .070 .050 .035, .095 .075 .055 .040, .100 .080 .060 .040, or .105 .080 .065 .045.

The idea is sets built around either a .135 or .125 B string with either balanced or traditional tension. Conveniently, traditional tension provides for a balanced set on multiscales.

• Members

Something occurred to me - you diggin' the strings on your Quake? La Bella was winding them to my spec.

While it wasn't night and day, I did like the very first sets better. Everly, maybe?

• Members

While it wasn't night and day, I did like the very first sets better. Everly, maybe?

Yup - we can chat when you're ready for a new set. A .185 F# will work but you'll need to goose the truss rod.

If you're doing E then maybe a .195 for the sake of tension/feel.

• Members

It is indeed the packaging. Coiling strings is bad for them.

I can't imagine that it'd be noticeably worse. I mean, once you put them on a bass and stretch the snot out of 'em, now that seems like some some serious abuse. Exactly how bad coiling though?

Archived