Chrysler's first new model coming out of bankruptcy?

Ender_rpm

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guess it depends on how high the MPG is on one i suppose. I doubt they are getting 18+ MPG though. I could be wrong, anyone own one?

EPA says they average from 17 to 18 depending on how equipped.

But it doesn't matter whether a Grand Cherokee gets better than 18.

As you said, it just has to get better than your previous ride by the specified amount, and your old cage has to be worse than 18.

• Members
Well, for one, if gas goes back up to $4 again and end up with a lot full of 16-18mpg SUVs that no one wants to buy, that doesn't seem to be the smartest to me.
:confused:

From the article....

Chrysler is working on a line of new V6 engines that should provide more power and better fuel economy for mid-sized cars and SUVs.

• Members

Right, for sale in 2-3 years. not now, when they need the sales to stay alive. This means
1. they have a grossly inefficient R&D cycle that can't react quickly toa changing market place, or
2. they have just been sitting arond waiting for the bailout, not worrying about designing anything until they had to, or
3. they are flat out lying, and will never introduce these engines, they just use them for bailout marketing.

in any of the above cases, they deserve to die a messy corporate death.

• Members
Right, for sale in 2-3 years. not now, when they need the sales to stay alive. This means

1. they have a grossly inefficient R&D cycle that can't react quickly toa changing market place, or

2. they have just been sitting arond waiting for the bailout, not worrying about designing anything until they had to, or

3. they are flat out lying, and will never introduce these engines, they just use them for bailout marketing.

in any of the above cases, they deserve to die a messy corporate death.

Every car maker has a 3-5 year new model cycle. The other two... :idk:

I don't think there are any of us that don't agree they should go bankrupt like every other company and not get any more of our money.

• Members

You won't find that's the case for pretty much the rest of the country. There is a NEED for trucks and SUV's, especially in the winter belt regions, that will never be met with tiny little passenger day runner cars. Ever.

Canuck here. You don't need a 4 wheel drive to get around in winter. What you DO need are good winter tires. True, 4WD will allow you to accelerate quicker in slippery conditions, but stopping is more important than going, and 4WD stops in the same, or even greater distance that a 2WD vehicle because of the extra weight. People forget this, and I've seen more 4x4s spinning on their tops next to the road than any other kind of vehicle. The higher center of gravity also increases the chance of a rollover.

I asked a tow truck driver what he thought of the increase in the numbers of 4WDs on the road. "I had to buy a longer chain" was his answer.

• Members
When your labor costs are very high, you can not compete in the econo car market. The percentage of labor cost to car cost are just too high. For example, if your labor costs are $3000 a car and the car sells for $12000 while your competition has $1500 in labor costs, that's $1500 more they can invest in the car itself. If it's a $40,000 truck, that labor cost in far less significant. This is why the US manufacturers only made money on their larger products.

Yes we all know the U.S. companies don't have any factories in other countries.:facepalm:

Try again.

• Members

I see a lot of bitching on here that they should have a small car out NOW. It takes years to design and build a car. Not only that. Most people don't want small cars.

That being said. They were f***ing retarded for not designing and building small cars when people were buying SUVs. Chrysler is the worst perpetrator of the Big Three with this. I blame the evil {censored}s at Daimler. They raped Chrysler and threw it away.

• Members

That being said. They were f***ing retarded for not designing and building small cars when people were buying SUVs. Chrysler is the worst perpetrator of the Big Three with this. I blame the evil {censored}s at Daimler. They raped Chrysler and threw it away.

I don't blame Daimler. Chrysler had the lowest fleet mpg of all US automakers before they were bought. Daimler bought them, realized they were hosed, and sold them.

Kinda like that girl you meet at the bar that you think is hot, get her number, go on a date or two, and realize she's f'ing crazy...

• Members
I don't blame Daimler. Chrysler had the lowest fleet mpg of all US automakers before they were bought. Daimler bought them, realized they were hosed, and sold them.

Kinda like that girl you meet at the bar that you think is hot, get her number, go on a date or two, and realize she's f'ing crazy...

They also had a lot of good products coming down the line and great people working within the company moving it in the right direction. Daimler came in and put the brakes on a lot of this and ran a lot of good people out of the company. They {censored}ed that company up. Stole the six billion Chrysler had on hand and beat feet.

Don't try to tell me Daimler doesn't suck ass!:mad:

• Members

You don't have a {censored}ing clue!

• Members

Don't try to tell me Daimler doesn't suck ass!
:mad:

Suck ass or not... They make sound business decisions. The purchase looked attractive at first & then quickly went to hell once Daimler realized the QC and financial stability issues Chrysler had and promptly dumped them. It's pretty simple, really.

Good people leave when their company is bought out because they get to cash in their stock and retire. These people also tend to know the financial situation.

I know enough, dude... I've been a Car & Driver subscriber for over 10 years and read it cover to cover every month (though I recently canceled my subscription).

• Members
Suck ass or not... They make sound business decisions. The purchase looked attractive at first & then quickly went to hell once Daimler realized the QC and financial stability issues Chrysler had and promptly dumped them. It's pretty simple, really.

Good people leave when their company is bought out because they get to cash in their stock and retire. These people also tend to know the financial situation.

I know enough, dude... I've been a Car & Driver subscriber for over 10 years and read it cover to cover every month (though I recently canceled my subscription).

Wow Car and Driver.:eek: You must be an expert.

How about working for them and seeing what they do to your factory that has been profitable for almost a hundred years till they came through the door.

Well I guess working for the company isn't as good as reading a car magazine. You win.:wave:

• Members
Wow Car and Driver.
:eek:
You must be an expert.

How about working for them and seeing what they do to your factory that has been profitable for almost a hundred years till they came through the door.

Well I guess working for the company isn't as good as reading a car magazine. You win.
:wave:

Probably shoulda cashed out your stock when Daimler bought you, eh?!

• Members
Took a buyout. Heading back to school.
;)

Cool... All for the better!

I'm not trying to bag on you, dude... Whether it's the auto industry or the IT industry, us worker types are almost always kept in the dark to get hosed in the end when our company is bought out. It's happened to me twice.

FWIW, the only Chrysler product I've ever owned was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and I loved it for off-roading but it was otherwise kind of a clunker. 16mpg at best & a leaky transfer case from the moment I bought it till the moment I sold it. My dad has an '04 Dodge pickup and loves it, but it only gets 14mpg.

The 5.7L Hemi did win on this list:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/best_worst_lists/prominent_powertrains_ward_s_autoworld_names_its_10_best_engines_of_2009_car_news

Archived