Chrysler's first new model coming out of bankruptcy?

Ender_rpm

• Members

a redesigned Grand Cherokee :facepalm:

And according to this Article they won't have the small cars that are suppossed to make them competitive again until 2010, and won't have a new sedan until 2011. Give them the first full yea to work out the teething problems every new model car has, and we're lookin at a company that will keep needing handouts for 2-3 years, minimum. Something tells me it would have been faster and cheaper to just IMPORT Fiats and have the gubmint pay for them outright. ssigh... .

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was the Grand Cherokee earning them profit before this? If so, what would possibly be dumb about keeping it around?

Well, for one, if gas goes back up to $4 again and end up with a lot full of 16-18mpg SUVs that no one wants to buy, that doesn't seem to be the smartest to me. :confused:

• Members

Was the Grand Cherokee earning them profit before this? If so, what would possibly be dumb about keeping it around?

IIRC from the prior threads, that was the one model that folks pretty much agreed they found to be a winner.

• Members

It doesn't fit in with the ecological views of their new masters.

• Members

It doesn't fit in with the ecological views of their new masters.

Exactly. A profitable vehicle improves the company's bottom line, no matter what the PC freaks are crying about. Unless of course, the new masters aren't concerned with improving the bottom line...

• Members

How many Smart cars do you see these days? I see tons.

Today I'm driving up to Wisconsin and back. I will count the number of Smart cars I see, and the number of Grand Cherokee's. Would you like to make a wager on which one I see more of?;)

• Members

Why are they concentrating on "fuel efficient V6s"? Fiat has some really nice cars with very fuel efficient turbodiesel engines. Someone show Chrysler the door...
:facepalm:

For starters, they need to sell cars now, not in a year from now or more, and as of now there isn't anywhere near as many places to buy diesel fuel, and no one is going to buy a car where they can't easily find fuel. It makes perfect sense to improve the gasoline engines as much as possible, since that will help sell cars.

• Members

Today I'm driving up to Wisconsin and back. I will count the number of Smart cars I see, and the number of Grand Cherokee's. Would you like to make a wager on which one I see more of?
;)

In the Bay Area I see a few Smarts but many, many, many more Prius. Not too many new Jeep Cherokees, though.

• Members

Why are they concentrating on "fuel efficient V6s"? Fiat has some really nice cars with very fuel efficient turbodiesel engines. Someone show Chrysler the door...
:facepalm:

Exactly! We got rid of all our gas hogs about a year ago and I now drive a 4 cylider Honda Civic. Less emissions, cut my fuel use in half. When I was in Scotland my rental car was a VW Passat wagon. I got about 45mpg and nearly 600 miles per tank. Loved it and wish I could find something similar in the US.

• Members

In the Bay Area I see a few Smarts but many, many, many more Prius. Not too many new Jeep Cherokees, though.

You won't find that's the case for pretty much the rest of the country. There is a NEED for trucks and SUV's, especially in the winter belt regions, that will never be met with tiny little passenger day runner cars. Ever.

• Members

For starters, they need to sell cars now, not in a year from now or more, and as of now there isn't anywhere near as many places to buy diesel fuel, and no one is going to buy a car where they can't easily find fuel. It makes perfect sense to improve the gasoline engines as much as possible, since that will
help sell cars

There is no problem finding diesel. Almost every station sells it. TD cars get 50-70mpg. There's not much they can do to improve the fuel efficiency of the petrol powerplants.

• Members

You won't find that's the case for pretty much the rest of the country. There is a NEED for trucks and SUV's, especially in the winter belt regions, that will never be met with tiny little passenger day runner cars. Ever.

So what happened to Chrysler and GM? You guy's didn't buy enough trucks and SUVs, right?

Archived