Trying to recall the title of an old DOS game

Kaesh

• Members

Sounds to me like Jagged Alliance. This was one of my favorite games back in the day, and they released a few sequals, too. JA2 is fantastic. If you're looking for something similar but newer, check out Silent Storm. It's a similar kind of thing, but set in WW2. There's some crazy sci-fi stuff towards the end of that game, but the gameplay is really fantastic.

• 10 months later...
  • Members
x-com1 is by far my favourite game of all time
:love:

The original X-Com is available on Steam for $4.99 and runs perfectly under Win XP... I've been playing through it again over the past couple of weeks... and yes, it's still fun!
:thu:

x-com-ufo-defense.jpg

ufo2.gif

x-com-ufo-defense.jpg

• Members

I only played a few DOS games back then. I think I remember the one he's describing... seems like when one of the dudes got shot, they screamed "Sarge!" or something like that...

That was like 2 million beers ago, though.

that sounds like 'Close Combat' to me. WWII though

• Members

You know the company beind Bioshock2 (2K Studios) is releasing an updated version of XCom?

Alas, "The game, which is actually called XCOM, is in development for the Xbox 360 and PC at 2K Australia and 2K Marin, and makes substantial changes to the original series, combining research and planning elements not with overhead, turn-based strategy sections, but with first-person shooter action."

However, all is not lost. If you like the turn based strategy ala UFO Defense then go here:Xenonauts

It's Xcom: UFO Defense in everything but name

• Members
You know the company beind Bioshock2 (2K Studios) is releasing an updated version of XCom?

Alas, "The game, which is actually called XCOM, is in development for the Xbox 360 and PC at 2K Australia and 2K Marin, and makes substantial changes to the original series, combining research and planning elements not with overhead, turn-based strategy sections, but with first-person shooter action."

I dunno, seems incredible when combined with a decent tactical shooter/soldier sim thing, since the impending doom on the battlefield feeling was one of the things that made the original X-COM great, but hell, Borderlands were super fun too - all in all I don't see much potential for failure :thu:

However, all is not lost. If you like the turn based strategy ala UFO Defense then go here:
Xenonauts

It's Xcom: UFO Defense in everything but name

I have beaten every X-Com knockoff ever, so I won't let this one slide by, but really, going back to turn-based tactical combat feels like putting shackles on. Nothing like pausing and giving orders to scatter when you see/hear a rocket ;)

• Members

Any
LLL FTW.....Hell, any Sierra game FTW........ Bewtween LLL, Space Quest, Quest For Glory, and the Indiana Jones Titles, it was nothing but win win win........

Yes. I have the LLL, Space Quest and King's Quest, Police Quest collectors edition. I'm also a Lucas Arts fan, and Maniac Mansion might be my all-time favorite game. Day of the Tentacle was also an excellent sequel. Monkey Island, Indiana Jones (Which was Lucasarts, not Sierra), Loom, The Dig... I love those kinds of games. I need to try the new Monkey Island remakes.

• Members

Bluescout - I still have the forerunner game: Rise of the Triad.

I can't get the music to work with any modern soundcard, but you can hear the rat a tat and sounds of people saying "DIE!"

Best part: the game has both God mode and Dog mode. In Dog mode, you're invincible and have a super-bark that blows up enemies. Gore galore!

ROTT was the predecessor to Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, and a couple of other games. It was a 1st person shooter from the early-mid 90s. I still play it from time to time. :)

• Members
Bluescout - I still have the forerunner game: Rise of the Triad.

I can't get the music to work with any modern soundcard, but you can hear the rat a tat and sounds of people saying "DIE!"

Best part: the game has both God mode and Dog mode. In Dog mode, you're invincible and have a super-bark that blows up enemies. Gore galore!

ROTT was the predecessor to Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, and a couple of other games. It was a 1st person shooter from the early-mid 90s. I still play it from time to time.
:)

I remember doing multiplayer on ROTT, I think... it was pretty cool.

• Members
ROTT was the predecessor to Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, and a couple of other games. It was a 1st person shooter from the early-mid 90s. I still play it from time to time.
:)

ROTT may have been cool, but it wasn't the predecessor to Wolfenstein or Doom. It came out right at about the same time DOOM did, and it was originally a sequel to Wolfenstein.

• Members

ROTT may have been cool, but it wasn't the predecessor to Wolfenstein or Doom. It came out right at about the same time DOOM did, and it was originally a sequel to Wolfenstein.

Actually, it came out a couple months after Doom 2, let alone Doom or Wolfenstein 3D.

Archived