NDD

burdizzos

• Members

New Drill Day!

My old DeWalt 18 volt drill is on the way out. It smells like a '60s era train set every time I pull the trigger and the torque limiter is giving out.

So, for my birthday, I asked for Home Depot gift cards and tonight I went out and picked up my drill. It cost me 73 cents after all of the birthday gift cards and one that I had left from Christmas.

Kickass!

189c450d-70f7-4e2c-bac3-edc4b88014f1_300

Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 In. Driver-Drill Kit

• Members

I've got a pair of pretty old 14.4 V Makitas.... One doesn't reverse anymore, and all of the batteries drain in a few short minutes.

They were free, so I can't complain, but it's really about time that I upgraded.

Had my eye on some Lithium-Ion tools myself:

41WduauWrUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

These have gotten decent reviews, and for what I will be using them for, and for as often as I need them, I think something like the Ryobi combo kit will serve me well.

I see the refurbished kits for around 200 bucks. If I ever get a little extra cash flow, I'll probably pull the trigger.

• Members

Lowe's is pimping that Porter Cable kit:

885911080019.jpg

The drill has MAD torque, the reciprocating saw is very easy to change blades and is lightweight, the circular saw is 6" and is hella-easy to rip paneling vertically and detailed careful cuts, but the flashlight is not adjustable for angling the beam. Best part of this kit, ALL the tools have brake clutches! The moment you let go of the trigger, they stop. Instantly. FANTASTIC safety feature and lets you drop the rip-saw immediately instead of waiting for it to wind down and stop.

This kit is $159. But... if you want fully lithium-ion setup:

885911079679.jpg

Far better flashlight as well, for $269. Hella-long run time. Yes, these batteries are expensive. But the kit having a second battery is definitely worth the price.

• Members

I've looked at reviews of those ryobi and other things, and just find it hard to steer myself away from Craftsman for hand-tools and dewalt for power tools. I want to buy these once every other decade, what's a little extra?

I haven't done any research on Makita though, that looks like a badass drill.

• Members

I've looked at reviews of those ryobi and other things, and just find it hard to steer myself away from Craftsman for hand-tools and dewalt for power tools. I want to buy these once every other decade, what's a little extra?

I haven't done any research on Makita though, that looks like a badass drill.

When I worked construction, the only drills we bought were the 300+ dollar 18V dewalts. We had about 4 of the drills, and 2 of the impacts. (Mostly for battery compatability)

We made a few trips to the repair shop within the first year of having a couple of them. We also went through a good handful of batteries.

We burned up 2 or 3 of their sliding miter saws as well. Granted, we were using them 8 hours a day for 5 and 6 days/week, but on the drills specifically, we expected them to last longer than they did.

As for Crapsman, their hand tools are decent. I buy them mainly for the warranty if I buy them at all. There is often better for the money though.

That, and I think Bob Vila is a joke. :D

Anymore, I hear their replacement warranty is a joke too.

• Members

Most folks that use power tools for a living are saying that Dewalt has gone to {censored} in the past few years.

The Dewalt comparable to my drill weighs over a pound more and takes 45 minutes longer to chage the batteries since it's NiCad.

• Members

When I worked construction, the only drills we bought were the 300+ dollar 18V dewalts. We had about 4 of the drills, and 2 of the impacts. (Mostly for battery compatability)

We made a few trips to the repair shop within the first year of having a couple of them. We also went through a good handful of batteries.

We burned up 2 or 3 of their sliding miter saws as well. Granted, we were using them 8 hours a day for 5 and 6 days/week, but on the drills specifically, we expected them to last longer than they did.

As for Crapsman, their hand tools are decent. I buy them mainly for the warranty if I buy them at all. There is often better for the money though.

That, and I think Bob Vila is a joke.
:D

That's unfortunate to hear. I'm expecting my dewalt to last at least 5-10 years, except maybe needing to buy a new battery or two.

As for "Crapsman", I've never had a problem with their hand-tools (except their knock-off vice grips, which are terrible). I got one of the mechanics tool kits for pretty cheap awhile ago, I like it. I really liked the idea of the warranty though, worries me to hear that they might not honor it as they used to.

• CMS Author

That, and I think Bob Vila is a joke.
:D

Here's the thing with Craftsman:. Yes their tools are NOT professional level, for the most part. But...Sears (not just Craftsman, but the entire store) is under the "satisfaction guaranteed" motto. I went on a journey of a hundred table saws with them. Over a period of 2-3 years I went from a $300 saw to their "Sears Best" 10" table saw for $800. They ALL sucked. But despite them being crap, the stores honored the guarantee aspect...when I'd finally had enough of getting store credit twice before, I called their Customer Service 800 number and after a brief chat, I was returning a 1-1/2 year old table saw, in pieces, to the nearest store, and cheerfully (seriously) received a full *cash* refund.

I've read tales of store managers trying to give people Companion tools in exchange for Craftsman handtools, but I've returned a LOT of stuff to at least 4 different stores and never had a problem. Yes, you'll get a rebuilt ratchet but that's the only time I wasn't instructed to simply "go get the new one off the shelf and bring it here" and walked out with a new tool.

Again, when I worked for a living I used Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and a very small % of Craftsman. But I don't have access to the dealers, so it's more convenient to buy Craftsman for hand tools. Never again with their table saws though......

• Members

That's unfortunate to hear. I'm expecting my dewalt to last at least 5-10 years, except maybe needing to buy a new battery or two.

As for "Crapsman", I've never had a problem with their hand-tools (except their knock-off vice grips, which are terrible). I got one of the mechanics tool kits for pretty cheap awhile ago, I like it. I really liked the idea of the warranty though, worries me to hear that they might not honor it as they used to.

You'll probably be OK with your DeWalt with average use. We were driving 3" deck screws through pressure treated lumber for 8 hours/day.

The Ni-Cad batteries were probably the biggest let down. I'm really intrigued by the newer lithium-ion batteries that a lot of manufacturers are using now.

I've got quite a few craftsman hand tools, include one of their bigger socket sets, some nut drivers, screw drivers, etc...

I don't expect any problems with things like that, but I've also gone through quite a few of their tape measures and folding box cutters. I think I had some squeeze clamps that didn't last too long either. (I don't think those fell under replacement warranty either)

At first, the replacement warranty was awesome. You'd bring in the tool, and they'd say "go get one off the shelf".

Now they reach under the counter and give you a rebuilt. (probably the same one you brought in LAST time... hahah)

I went to a sears one time and they tried to tell me they didn't even honor the warranties at that store anymore.

I'll usually go with Crescent or ChannelLock tools if I have the option.

Archived