NDD

burdizzos

• Members

Here's the thing with Craftsman:. Yes their tools are NOT professional level, for the most part. But...Sears (not just Craftsman, but the entire store) is under the "satisfaction guaranteed" motto. I went on a journey of a hundred table saws with them. Over a period of 2-3 years I went from a $300 saw to their "Sears Best" 10" table saw for $800. They ALL sucked. But despite them being crap, the stores honored the guarantee aspect...when I'd finally had enough of getting store credit twice before, I called their Customer Service 800 number and after a brief chat, I was returning a 1-1/2 year old table saw, in pieces, to the nearest store, and cheerfully (seriously) received a full *cash* refund.

I've read tales of store managers trying to give people Companion tools in exchange for Craftsman handtools, but I've returned a LOT of stuff to at least 4 different stores and never had a problem. Yes, you'll get a rebuilt ratchet but that's the only time I wasn't instructed to simply "go get the new one off the shelf and bring it here" and walked out with a new tool.

Again, when I worked for a living I used Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and a very small % of Craftsman. But I don't have access to the dealers, so it's more convenient to buy Craftsman for hand tools. Never again with their table saws though......

I guess it depends which Sears you go too. I've had both good AND bad experiences. It mostly depends with how long you want to argue in some cases I would guess.

As far as Craftsman POWER tools are concerned... I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

• Members

I have a set of Lowe's Kobalt wrenches and those are very nice.

All of my sockets are USA made Allen.

Adjustable wrenches are Crescent.

Adjustable pliers are Channellock.

Locking pliers are Vise-grips.

And my electrical tools are all Klein.

Then I also have duplicates of nearly everything in chinese form for loaning out. :thu:

• Members

I have a set of Lowe's Kobalt wrenches and those are very nice.

All of my sockets are USA made Allen.

Adjustable wrenches are Crescent.

Adjustable pliers are Channellock.

Locking pliers are Vise-grips.

And my electrical tools are all Klein.

Then I also have duplicates of nearly everything in chinese form for loaning out.
:thu:

I too have been reasonably please/impressed with Lowe's Kobalt tools. Not bad for the money at all.

• CMS Author

In my 30 years of f'ing around some, and working professionally some, I've found:

Milwaukee are consistently the best corded hand power tools. Bosch, Makita, and Porter Cable are right up there, with DeWalt following (I've had some let's just say "issues" with a certain DW jigsaw. Interestingly, it's discontinued) and then Ryobi, Craftsman, etc.

For cordless, Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt are good.

For stationary shop tools, Delta and Powermatic have a virtual lock on a lot of woodworking stuff.

Makita and Hitachi make some kickass miter saws. Many contractors swear by their Makita LS series.

Over the past year I've managed to accumulate possibly the world's largest collection of mismatched Craftsman hand tools ever. Last year a neighbor who's a union electrician moved to FL, and left me a handbox full of socket sets (1/4" throught 1/2" Std and Met) and combination wrenches. A few months ago, a close friend's dad passed, and I was given all of his tools. Three boxes of assorted handtools, including no less than three complete sets of Std. Craftsman combination wrenches. For some reason, there are additional 1/2x9/16 in theres....I've now got like a dozen of those. It seems a crime to toss them, the sets aren't all complete enough to be worth selling, and I haven't been able to give anything away.

Maybe I can weld them onto a {censored}ty chopper and sell it for $100,000 as a "theme bike". Seems to work for at least one semi-talented guy....

• Members

bosch_portable.jpg

If I were to ever buy a table saw, it would probably be this one. Plenty of power for most anythign you'd need it for, and easy to move around. Used one on my former construction crew, and never had any issues, other than burning up the bearings in the first one after a few years of hard use.

My dad has a few delta tools. I have one of thier compound miter saws. I've always been happy with their performance. I would like a nicer miter saw, but I don't have 600 bucks to buy the one I want...

For the 120 bucks I paid for the Delta, it'll do.

• CMS Author

My dad has a few delta tools. I have one of thier compound miter saws. I've always been happy with their performance. I would like a nicer miter saw, but I don't have 600 bucks to buy the one I want...

For the 120 bucks I paid for the Delta, it'll do.

Yeah, one of my miter saws is a Delta 10" single-pivot. May not be the biggest capacity, or the most versatile, but it's incredibly accurate after *years* of use.

Very PRECISE.:lol::lol::lol:

And that Bosch table saw is a really good contractor saw.

• Members

I've looked at reviews of those ryobi and other things, and just find it hard to steer myself away from Craftsman for hand-tools and dewalt for power tools. I want to buy these once every other decade, what's a little extra?

I haven't done any research on Makita though, that looks like a badass drill.

Same here. Craftsman for hand tools, DeWalt for power tools, and Makita for SawzAlls exclusively. That's how our company rolls.

I'm quite sick of Craftsman's power tools. I have a 1970's Craftsman 7" circular saw, and it's an invincible, indestructible beast. NONE of the new saws they now make can match this antique veteran. Hate their reciprocating saws, hate their angle grinders, hate their cordless drills, hate their bench grinders, hate their belt sanders.... but I've never used a DeWalt power tool that I didn't enjoy using. ESPECIALLY for their safety features. I'm slowly replacing all my Craftsman power tools with DeWalt.

But for routers and table saws, I still say Porter Cable. They're slowly creeping up the kickass-tools-available ladder.

Screw Ryobi. Plastic gearboxes. Never again.

• Members

I too have been reasonably please/impressed with Lowe's Kobalt tools. Not bad for the money at all.

Excellent pliers dikes and wirecutters. Bought a set, I'm cutting through crazy {censored}. 8 gauge solid copper wires, bolts and screws and nails... these cutters are awesome. And the double-hinged giant cutters might as well be classified as chain/lock cutters!

And their folding razorblade knives are killer. My new favorite tool.

820909508878.jpg

• CMS Author

Same here. Craftsman for hand tools, DeWalt for power tools, and Makita for SawzAlls exclusively. That's how our company rolls.

I'm quite sick of Craftsman's power tools. I have a 1970's Craftsman 7" circular saw, and it's an invincible, indestructible beast. NONE of the new saws they now make can match this antique veteran. Hate their reciprocating saws, hate their angle grinders, hate their cordless drills, hate their bench grinders, hate their belt sanders.... but I've never used a DeWalt power tool that I didn't enjoy using. ESPECIALLY for their safety features. I'm slowly replacing all my Craftsman power tools with DeWalt.

But for routers and table saws, I still say Porter Cable. They're slowly creeping up the kickass-tools-available ladder.

Screw Ryobi. Plastic gearboxes. Never again.

Milwaukee OWNS the name Sawzall. And they totally pwn the concept. You'll have to cut my Super Sawzall from my cold dead hands...with another Sawzall!

And indeed, P-C has excellent routers. I've got DW's, but I've used lots of the PC 690, which is the great-grandaddy of compact routers.

• CMS Author

Excellent pliers dikes and wirecutters. Bought a set, I'm cutting through crazy {censored}. 8 gauge solid copper wires, bolts and screws and nails... these cutters are awesome. And the double-hinged giant cutters might as well be classified as chain/lock cutters!

820909508878.jpg

Careful. Obama wants your guns....and your folding knives.......:mad:

:lol::lol:

• Members

I'll modify a gun to fire these knives!

I love walking around with the two blades folded out on either end, feels like a Klingon battle sword or something. But this knife is seriously capable. Wire, cardboard, bush branches, plastic, even tin metal for ductwork. The best stabby-stabby tool ever.

• Members

Milwaukee OWNS the name Sawzall. And they totally pwn the concept. You'll have to cut my Super Sawzall from my cold dead hands...with another Sawzall!

And indeed, P-C has excellent routers. I've got DW's, but I've used lots of the PC 690, which is the great-grandaddy of compact routers.

OH FOR CRAPPIN OUT LOUD I'M TURNING IN MY MAN CARD

Milwaukee. For {censored}'s sake, Milwaukee. Totally brainfarted. I saw the word Makita in the post I was quoting, and re-typed it.

{censored} on a stick, I need caffeine today.....:mad::mad::mad::facepalm::mad::mad::mad:

• Members

820909508878.jpg

Why have I not been made aware of this tool! :mad:

DO WANT! :love:

I used to carry this one everyday:

craftsman-knife-model.jpg

Used it for everything when I worked construction. for 15 bucks I was very impressed. It pWn3ed my earlier craftsman box cutters. Very hefty, well made, smooth operation...

I dropped this thing down stairs, off roofs, off ladders, etc... and NEVER had a problem with it.

I'm definitely gonna look at those Kobalts though...

My bro bought one of their older ones like that (but with only the utility blade) and I seem to recal him having trouble with the blade popping out during use though. I wonder if they've improved the design since then?

• CMS Author

OH FOR CRAPPIN OUT LOUD I'M TURNING IN MY MAN CARD

Milwaukee. For {censored}'s sake, Milwaukee. Totally brainfarted. I saw the word Makita in the post I was quoting, and re-typed it.

{censored} on a stick, I need caffeine today.....
:mad:
:mad::facepalm::mad:

Sure beats arguing about Pi, doesn't it?

Archived