Warmoth Jazz build

fretless

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Fellas ! ok did the tuners , and must say this always makes me super nervous , it's probably the most critical thing to do in the whole build . You simply need to drill the screw holes properly or you could snap one off in the headstock ( done it before). So I use masking tape as a depth gauge , wrap it around the drill bit and just go to the edge of the tape when drilling down , make sure it's the right bit or it could still be too tight on the screw and then snap ! I also use a wee bit of warwick wax on the screw to help it in . Use masking tape as a straight edge to align the tuners and a little eyeballing it and done ! No snapped screws or ruined neck . pheeew...

head2.jpg

head1.jpg

ebony1.jpg
polished wood :lol:

highly concerned cat
cat2.jpg

• Members

Thanks Fellas ! ok did the tuners , and must say this always makes me super nervous , it's probably the most critical thing to do in the whole build . You simply need to drill the screw holes properly or you could snap one off in the headstock ( done it before). So I use masking tape as a depth gauge , wrap it around the drill bit and just go to the edge of the tape when drilling down , make sure it's the right bit or it could still be too tight on the screw and then snap ! I also use a wee bit of warwick wax on the screw to help it in . Use masking tape as a straight edge to align the tuners and a little eyeballing it and done ! No snapped screws or ruined neck . pheeew...

head2.jpg

head1.jpg

ebony1.jpg
polished wood
:lol:

highly concerned cat

cat2.jpg

Looks great!

I damn near get anxiety attacks whenever I have to drill into a guitar. First time was for a new pickguard for my old Fernandes Telecaster. I just went to town with a hand drill, and after I got the pickguard on, every screw head was angled in a different direction. Now, I use my Dad's drill press. Not only do the holes come out straight, but you can set the depth, which works great for pickup mounting holes, where I nearly soil myself thinking I might drill right through to the back.

BTW, Last time I did bass tuners, I actually used a t-square against the bottoms of the tuners to mark the holes. Worked great.

That thing of yours is going to be a sweet piece!

• Members
Looks great!

I damn near get anxiety attacks whenever I have to drill into a guitar. First time was for a new pickguard for my old Fernandes Telecaster. I just went to town with a hand drill, and after I got the pickguard on, every screw head was angled in a different direction. Now, I use my Dad's drill press. Not only do the holes come out straight, but you can set the depth, which works great for pickup mounting holes, where I nearly soil myself thinking I might drill right through to the back.

Wait until you drill out a 7/8" diameter hole through the side of a bass into the control cavity for the first time...:eek:

• Members
Looks great!

BTW, Last time I did bass tuners, I actually used a t-square against the bottoms of the tuners to mark the holes. Worked great.

That thing of yours is going to be a sweet piece!

t-square is a smart move ;)

Archived