so, i'm thinking about selling my...

mlwarriner

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty much the only notes you need to know for pop rock are E, A, C, and G. Anything else is filler.

Yep, I IV V and move up and down the E string to change keys...:D

If you want to get fancy, you can play 1st 5th intervals, but don't get too fancy, you're the bassist, not the lead guitarist...:p

• Members

Yep, I IV V and move up and down the E string to change keys...
:D

If you want to get fancy, you can play 1st 5th intervals, but don't get too fancy, you're the bassist, not the lead guitarist...
:p

You're not the drummer either..stick with 8th notes

• Members

soul and joining a cover band. it'd be good exposure (they're booked every weekend from now til forever, all "in town").

downside is - i know exactly zero covers.

:(

that's not selling your soul , what it will do is build your chops like a mofo , nothing like learning 60 tunes or more *correctly* and playing every weekend for cash , nah selling your soul is when the record company wants you to fire your band members because they are "too old and fat" and you say OK ! :lol::cop:

• Members

I think, if you are going to place covers, at least learn the basslines pretty close to the original. Don't just thump eighth notes, unless thats what the cover calls for. Those little fills and turnarounds separate the dime a dozen bassplayer from someone who is in high demand. ymmv.

• Members

Playing originals in the garage is fun. Playing them to an audience that appreciates them is better. Teh womenz like the cover stuff though and it pays pretty well. At this point in the game, I'm content playing covers (Until something better comes along, which it does occasionally) and getting paid for it.

• Members

I had a LOT of fun with my last cover band. It'll make you a better bassist, and playing in front of 100+ dancing people having fun is always a good time. I was very bummed out when real life issues got in the way, and the band broke up.

• Members

The sad fact is that most originals aren't appreciated by audiences.

You can call the audience dumb and tasteless if you like.

I've played in originals bands and for every 1 good song there were 30+ that sucked. I am being kind. I hated playing them. Now if we had 200 songs to start with and 2 or 3 got steady airplay... And there was some money in it...

• Members

It'll make you a better bassist, ...

yup. the exercise of learning the material is great training. you'll find it easier and easier to learn songs, and learn them fast. and being able to recognize where a song is going and what the bassist is doing makes you a much better player.

• Members

Question to those of you that do the cover band thing, or have in the past...

How worried are you about note for note accuracy through the entire song when you learn or play it?

Case in point... years back I was asked to learn a cover or 2 for my original band to fill out a set. We chose Green Day's Longview. I learned the basic tune, but not any of all the extra little fills that round it out, just the main riffs of it.

I was pressed for time more than anything, but to this day it's the only way I know it. I jammed on stage with a cover band once years after that and pulled that out as it was one of the only covers I knew. After, the bassist was making pissy faces at me and said "If you don't know the whole song, you shouldn't get up to jam." :cry:

I swear that scared me away from being in a cover band more than anything. I don't memorize a whole lot of notes too well, I can play the basic tunes, but I'd fight for weeks to commit all the little things to memory and just don't know if it's even worth it. What say you?

• Members

yup. the exercise of learning the material is great training. you'll find it easier and easier to learn songs, and learn them fast. and being able to recognize where a song is going and what the bassist is doing makes you a much better player.

I agree - the more songs you learn, the easier it is to learn them - after awhile, you'll develop an ear for it... I can listen to a song, and have a fairly solid idea of it's changes - work out the keys, and I'm most of the way there already... I've played fill in gigs where I had to learn alot of songs fast - and after running through them quickly - and taking notes - I was good to go...

- georgestrings

• Members

Renfield,

I do my damnest to learn it note for note, so that when I play it live, as long as I get close, the feel is there and it is fine.

Chances are, you met a bitchy girly-man of a bassist that day. No one cared but him that you didn't know the fills.

• Members

Question to those of you that do the cover band thing, or have in the past...

How worried are you about note for note accuracy through the entire song when you learn or play it?

Case in point... years back I was asked to learn a cover or 2 for my original band to fill out a set. We chose Green Day's Longview. I learned the basic tune, but not any of all the extra little fills that round it out, just the main riffs of it.

I was pressed for time more than anything, but to this day it's the only way I know it. I jammed on stage with a cover band once years after that and pulled that out as it was one of the only covers I knew. After, the bassist was making pissy faces at me and said "If you don't know the whole song, you shouldn't get up to jam."
:cry:

I swear that scared me away from being in a cover band more than anything. I don't memorize a whole lot of notes too well, I can play the basic tunes, but I'd fight for weeks to commit all the little things to memory and just don't know if it's even worth it. What say you?

That guy is a dick. Structure is the most important thing with covers IMO as long as the bits you are playing work and don't throw other band members off .

But it does depend on the cover band . I have been in four and only one was a note for note type cover band. It was the least fun and got the least response from the audience

Archived