Who makes a good j-bass these days?

RoboChrist

• Members

Good ones are not easy to find, no matter what brand. And I'm also picky.

I stumbled on a '00 MIM Jazz that is excellent, that was back in 2002.

Tried and tried many more since then, none were as good until I landed a used '98 MIM fretless last month.

• Members

I got a hankerin for one, but I can't find one decent playing fender jazz to save my life in these parts. I'm very picky about these things. :poke:

Any alternates I could look at?

You could put together your own. A lot of us here (myself included) have done that.

Check out this thread http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2371337

Some guys went the Warmoth route... others (like me) bought the parts individually from different suppliers. I ended up with a top notch bass with a nitro finished body. :cool:

• Members

I think there are a variety of good "jazz" basses available---just need to find your taste. One of my faves is a modified Squire jazz. They have a bit better woods and hardware than SX yet still very affordable. Put some upgraded pups and pots, and you have a solid bass in tone and construction.

• Members

Well, Fender, for one...

:D

If you don't mind used, look for an early '80s MIA '62 reissue.

MIJ Fender Jazz Basses of the same era are awesome, too.

The '90s Hamer Cruise Bass models with the 2tek bridge are a good choice. Just ask Kindness.

Lastly, Lakland Jazz models are pretty nice.

• Members

Well, Fender, for one...

:D

If you don't mind used, look for an early '80s MIA '62 reissue.

MIJ Fender Jazz Basses of the same era are awesome, too.

The '90s Hamer Cruise Bass models with the 2tek bridge are a good choice. Just ask Kindness.

Lastly, Lakland Jazz models are pretty nice.

I guess I'm still looking out for that good Fender, wherever it may be. Fenders and Laklands are about the only things I can demo, oh and Sadowsky metros, but I was never quite sold on Sadowsky.

The two best j-basses I have owned were a '75 Jazz (not a reissue) and a japanese 70's jazz, in that order.

:idk:

• Members

Right now, the best bang for the buck I've seen is on the Low End site. They have an older Japan made Bacchus on their site for $599. I had one a few years ago and they are AWESOME basses. The only reason I sold it is I have another KILLER jazz and I play P's mostly. They have a build quality of basses costing 4X as much.

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/used-basses.html

• Members

Right now, the best bang for the buck I've seen is on the Low End site. They have an older Japan made Bacchus on their site for $599. I had one a few years ago and they are AWESOME basses. The only reason I sold it is I have another KILLER jazz and I play P's mostly. They have a build quality of basses costing 4X as much.

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/used-basses.html

I have drooled over those basses for months, but scared of ordering one. They do look fantastic though :thu:

• Members

I'd go for a lakland if they made one with block inlays. That's another thing, the bass I'm looking for has to have a dark fingerboard with blocks.

:)

I guess it's stay the course until I can find a bass with a neck that can't be taken to an archery range...

• Members

I have drooled over those basses for months, but scared of ordering one. They do look fantastic though
:thu:

Well.........that one is already in the US and a HELL of a lot cheaper than a new one!! The new ones are truly boutique works of art. Buying them from that Japan Guitars site seems to be trouble free.

• Members

No.

And the rondo suggestion better be a joke.

What makes it bad? I've personally played a Samick J Bass and they sound pretty good. Just drop some SJB3 Quarter Pounders in there and it'd be great.

Also a previous post mentioned a 00' Fender Jazz.

Archived