OT: Hacker attack?

Ender_rpm

• Members

Anyone else following the "cyber attack" story? Looks like North Korea decided they weren't getting enough attention with all the missiles, so they "may" be attacking South Korean and US gov't sites with denial of service attacks. Most fingers point back to the NKs, or to China. At what point does this type of activity cross the line into actual "hostilities"? I have to assume if one of the US agencies that does signals work wanted to, they could shut down all NK systems on the interweb, but should they? EMP the whole damn country? What if they start messing with power, transportation, or other systems and cause fatal accidents like train crashes or power plant disruptions during a hot spell that kills the elderly? Thoughts?

• Members

NK has deserved a good nuking for a loooooooooooong time now.

But I prefer not to deal with the radioactive fallout.

So let's MOAB the {censored}ity {censored} outta them instead!

:D

• Members

Whoever is doing the attack is controlling tens of thousands of computers spread around the globe (botnet). If the botnets have already received their marching orders, they probably won't stop DDoSing even if they stop receiving commands from NK or wherever.

This isn't a technically proficient attack (certainly not half as interesting as the DNS poisoning attacks that happened last year), I'm surprised it took the US gov't servers so long to recover from the attack. If it was Amazon.com or eBay.com, their networks would've had all the bad data diverted within an hour or two.

• Members

Our cyber police are a bunch of noobs, apparently.

More correct than I care to admit sometimes. Why work for Gov't and make $50K when you can freelance and make double or triple? 'course, that applies to me too :facepalm:

• Moderators
At what point does this type of activity cross the line into actual "hostilities"? I have to assume if one of the US agencies that does signals work wanted to, they could shut down all NK systems on the interweb, but should they?

NK government is hostile. I wouldn't blame the average joe NK, though, so I'd opt for shutting down all the NK systems on the interweb and do a flyover. Maybe knock out their short/medium range missile capabilities. Then tell them to STFU and crawl back in a hole.

• Members

We should {censored} all over THEIR internets in response!

Altho... I mean... they probably don't have as much going on in that department as we do.
:o

This is actually a perfect idea.

If we knock out their internet long enough, the populace will have an uproar from Starcraft withdraw, and they will zerg rush kim jong.

zergRush.jpg

zerg%20rush.jpg

zerg_rush.jpg

ZERG_RUSH.JPG

zergrush.gif

• Members

I'd be very impressed if they could do anything to our electrical grid.

There are A LOT of measures taken to insure against something like this. Plus you'd need a pretty broad understanding of the electrical grid of the target area to do anything significant.

That being said, cutting the power during a heat wave wouldn't necessarily be the only caution.

Cutting electrical transmission over large areas could result in potential damages/losses in the millions, if not billions.

Fun fact for today:

The big blackout in August of '03 is estimated by some to have caused nearly as much economic hurt as 9/11.

Most of the power was restored within a day or two, and I believe it was all back within a week, but some estimates that I have read about the financial damages/losses of that blackout are in excess of 10 billion dollars.

• Members

MAh. I think this is all a "reason" to get more backing form our allies to do something about him... He may be a wacko but I don't believe much that the news or government says...so my tin foil hat says this is all to get support and we probably hacked ourselves. :facepalm:

• Members

MAh. I think this is all a "reason" to get more backing form our allies to do something about him... He may be a wacko but I don't believe much that the news or government says...so my tin foil hat says this is all to get support and we probably hacked ourselves.
:facepalm:

wow :facepalm:

• Members

I'd be very impressed if they could do anything to our electrical grid.

There are A LOT of measures taken to insure against something like this. Plus you'd need a pretty broad understanding of the electrical grid of the target area to do anything significant.

That being said, cutting the power during a heat wave wouldn't necessarily be the only caution.

Cutting electrical transmission over large areas could result in potential damages/losses in the millions, if not billions.

Fun fact for today:

The big blackout in August of '03 is estimated by some to have caused nearly as much economic hurt as 9/11.

Most of the power was restored within a day or two, and I believe it was all back within a week, but some estimates that I have read about the financial damages/losses of that blackout are in excess of 10 billion dollars.

Well it would be impossible for them to hack the power generation stations at all, being that the computers that actually control power generation are not connected to the internet in any way. It might be possible for them to cause a blackout further down the line, but they would not be able to touch the power plants themselves.

• Members

Well it would be impossible for them to hack the power generation stations at all, being that the computers that actually control power generation are not connected to the internet in any way. It might be possible for them to cause a blackout further down the line, but they would not be able to touch the power plants themselves.

Too much movie watching. HACK THE GRID, TAKE DOWN THE GIBSON, REMOVE THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM ACCESS!!!

• Members

Too much movie watching. HACK THE GRID, TAKE DOWN THE GIBSON, REMOVE THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM ACCESS!!!

No, I just know someone who wrote some of the code that runs in hydroelectric plants across the country. And when there was that huge blackout and all the news media were speculating it was hackers, I found out that it is impossible to hack the computers that actually regulate the power generation because they're physically not connected to the internet at all.

• Members

Our cyber police are a bunch of noobs, apparently.

they need to recruit some of the real talent they put behind bars. The guys they catch are usually much better than they are anyway. I mean if it usually takes a special unit and several agents working together for months to catch one decent hacker you can imagine how effective we could be if we had several really good hackers working for us on our side, of course, under complete observation the whole time. Most of them do it for the thrill of it so it would like a new puzzle for them to solve. They'd probably love it. Again under complete surveillance the whole time. You know how those guys work. I could see them leaving back doors into the system after they left.

• Members

, I found out that it is impossible to hack the computers that actually regulate the power generation because they're physically not connected to the internet at all.

You think a system has to be on the internet to be tampered with?

Supposing what you say is true, it doesnt make any system invulnerable. It cuts down the risk considerably but doesnt make it un crackable.

Want to make a system completely impervious to maliciousness?

Turn it off. It's the only way. :p

Assuming otherwise is just naive.

• Moderators
they need to recruit some of the real talent they put behind bars. The guys they catch are usually much better than they are anyway. I mean if it usually takes a special unit and several agents working together for months to catch one decent hacker you can imagine how effective we could be if we had several really good hackers working for us on our side, of course, under complete observation the whole time. Most of them do it for the thrill of it so it would like a new puzzle for them to solve. They'd probably love it. Again under complete surveillance the whole time. You know how those guys work. I could see them leaving back doors into the system after they left.

They do recruit from this pool.

• Members

Anyone else following the "cyber attack" story? Looks like North Korea decided they weren't getting enough attention with all the missiles, so they "may" be attacking South Korean and US gov't sites with denial of service attacks. Most fingers point back to the NKs, or to China. At what point does this type of activity cross the line into actual "hostilities"? I have to assume if one of the US agencies that does signals work wanted to, they could shut down all NK systems on the interweb, but should they? EMP the whole damn country? What if they start messing with power, transportation, or other systems and cause fatal accidents like train crashes or power plant disruptions during a hot spell that kills the elderly? Thoughts?

It could be someone spoofing their IP address though to cause political problems between two countries and may not even be originating from NK.

I could see someone that is aware of the tension between the U.S. and NK and making it appear to be a hacking attempt from there to push us over the edge to incite us to war. It could be someone at Northrup Grumman who wants to build some more war planes and sell them to the military for all we know. And we don't know if the hackers were working for the goverment or not. Could be someone in the private sector just as well.

• Members

You know how those guys work. I could see them leaving back doors into the system after they left.

I doubt that many people really know how they work. It's nowhere near as glamorous and flashy as the big screen makes it out to be.

• Members

No, I just know someone who wrote some of the code that runs in hydroelectric plants across the country. And when there was that huge blackout and all the news media were speculating it was hackers, I found out that it is impossible to hack the computers that actually regulate the power generation because they're physically not connected to the internet at all.

Maybe you missed the part where I was agreeing with you ;)

• Members

Well, we'll just have to give them a really really good scolding. It's worked so many times before.

What else you gonna do? :idk:

Archived