OT: Recycling!

chubrocker

• Members

Thought I'd put up a more positive titled thread than I started yesterday.

Four months ago, my wife and I started making a much more concerted effort to recycle all we can. My daughter's school started a recycling program that takes paper, cardboard, aluminum, plastics 1-7 (basically all but tins cans and glass--which I take to our city recycling facility) as a fundraiser for the the school. I am AMAZED at how much I take to the big dumpster at my daughter's school each week. I'm happy to see it full each week with people recycling.

On average, I take 4-5 very full brown paper sacks to the dumpster each week. 2-3 sacks are plastic and 2 sacks are cardboard and paper. I never noticed how much of our food is wrapped/packaged in cardboard and plastic until doing this.

If you have a school in your area that is doing a recycling program, please try to take your recyclables there. My daughter's school raised enough in a few months to buy new carpeting for the auditorium!

• Members

recycling paper is a real BIG money business. Almost all large manufacturers that use any kind of paper for packaging uses recycled. I think the let down point trying to be made here is that you are feeding a money machine by recycling. IMHO, it still beats burying it in a landfill somewhere.

• Members

P&T: BS

Damn, beat me to it.

Good on you though, for trying to contribute positively to your surroundings. It's great to see the plastic recycled, if nothing else. :thu:

Now if only we could figure out how to reuse Styrofoam... :rolleyes:

• Members

recycling paper is a real BIG money business. Almost all large manufacturers that use any kind of paper for packaging uses recycled. I think the let down point trying to be made here is that you are feeding a money machine by recycling. IMHO, it still beats burying it in a landfill somewhere.

I already knew most of the things in the P&T bit. I guess it's the landfill component that really amazed me--in that, I have about two less 33-gallon trash bags a week now. That's quite a bit of trash the trash man is not picking up each week. Hopefully the recycling company is not trashing most of what they pick up. :rolleyes:

• Members

I'm not going crazy about separating banana peels and chicken bones. But I separate the plastic and paper and metal and glass. I'll do a simple amount.

Now if I really wanted to benefit, I'd start a compost pile and build me some hella-rich fertilizer. But I don't grow a garden, so {censored} that.

But what CAN be done with styrofoam? We use so {censored}in much of that crap, and it exists for 1000 years, just sucking up space cuz it's mostly trapped air...

• Members

I'm not going crazy about separating banana peels and chicken bones. But I separate the plastic and paper and metal and glass. I'll do a simple amount.

Now if I really wanted to benefit, I'd start a compost pile and build me some hella-rich fertilizer. But I don't grow a garden, so {censored} that.

But what CAN be done with styrofoam? We use so {censored}in much of that crap, and it exists for 1000 years, just sucking up space cuz it's mostly trapped air...

It's all floating in the pacific ocean, let me see if I can find the link...

edit -- http://blog.modernature.ca/?p=90

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Editorial-Page.htm?Info=0030840

• Members

My city provides a recycling bin that is picked up every other week. Ours is always full and most of my neighbors set theirs out too. I do save the aluminum can and water bottles for myself to take and get back the CRV.

What convinced me was the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike went the San Fran Recycling plant.

• Members

Thermal repolymerization can take care of the problem if it catches on. Even though we should stop burning stuff for energy, the composite hydrocarbons can still be used for all the other stuff we use oil for, like plastics and petrochemistry.

• Members

Thermal repolymerization can take care of the problem if it catches on. Even though we should stop burning stuff for energy, the composite hydrocarbons can still be used for all the other stuff we use oil for, like plastics and petrochemistry.

Thanks for that, I wasn't familiar with the thermal depolymerization process, but I just went and took a look into it. I've done some academic design work on the production of styrene industrially, so I have a bit of an interest.

CWT claims that their process only uses about 15% of the energy which it creates, so from that perspective it seems fairly sustainable. It looks like the major issue right now is the limited profit return. They're creating a fairly low-value product, and the operating costs seem pretty high. (Just based on the wikipedia entry/case study on the plant operating on a turkey waste feedstock).

I'd imagine if you could economically gather and transport used styrofoam to a facility, the margins could be more attractive to producers. I'll have to see if I can find more solid information on what's being done with it.

:thu:

• Members

I'd imagine if you could economically gather and transport used styrofoam to a facility, the margins could be more attractive to producers. I'll have to see if I can find more solid information on what's being done with it.

:thu:

Is there a reason why styrofoam is still being used? I would think it would have been outlawed by now.

• Members

I think from what I got from P and T is that the government "sponsoring" ( aka us the tax payer.) is what makes it not cost effective...

We though reduce our waste , reuse at home and recycle last. We only have one bag-o-trash for a week plus for a family of 4. I'm not doing it for environmental reasons...I'm just a miser and the less we buy and throw away the cheaper it is for us LOL..but often the more environmentally friendly way of doing things is the cheaper way...unless its subsidized by uncle sam :facepalm:

I still :love: recycling!

• Members

I think from what I got from P and T is that the government "sponsoring" ( aka us the tax payer.) is what makes it not cost effective...

We though reduce our waste , reuse at home and recycle last. We only have one bag-o-trash for a week plus for a family of 4. I'm not doing it for environmental reasons...I'm just a miser and the less we buy and throw away the cheaper it is for us LOL..but often the more environmentally friendly way of doing things is the cheaper way...unless its subsidized by uncle sam
:facepalm:

I still
:love:
recycling!

ONE bag of garbage for a family of 4? Holy crap. You're going to hate us when you see how much we go through!

• Members

ONE bag of garbage for a family of 4? Holy crap. You're going to hate us when you see how much we go through!

I wont hate you! I will though have to control my urge to save things... Its not a judgment on others....you pay for your own trash :thu:

Oh I forgot we have 3 extra kids during the week so I guess 4 out of 7 days we have a 7 people.

Archived