It's lame...but it's MY lame (relic pics)

chubrocker

• Members

Many think it's lame to relic, and that's fine. I've always liked beat-up sunburst basses. Sunburst basses just sound better. :cool: I decided to relic my Squire fretless a while back. My daughter knocked it over more than I played it, so...

I put a precision fretted neck on it. My "relic" is not extreme. I did not make the hardware old looking. I took the logo off and darkened the neck, but otherwise did nothing to it. The body has wear marks and some minor dings in it, but not over-the-top. I personally like the "thumb wear" on the pickups.

I unfortunately did not rewire it right. Before it was quite. It now has a slight buzz and the bridge pup is not working. :mad:

Eventually, this bass will be BEAD tuned, but I have flats on it now. It has a nice, smooth mellow tone. Kinda fun for now.

DSC04869.jpg

DSC04871.jpg

DSC04872.jpg

• Members

No, I haven't done anything to hardware. I most likely will tarnish the bridge and the knobs/plate. I doubt I do the tuners. If I do, it will only be the butterfly portion.

I still need to buff the body. I sanded the "sheen" off the finish and just need to do a quick buff and wet sand to get the slight sandmarks out of it. You can't see them in the pics, but they are there. This bass right now is just to play unamplified while watching TV, so not overly concerned that it's 100% finished right now. I just got the tuner bushings and was excited to just get the bass together with some strings on it.

• Members

I'm not usually a fan of the relic, but I like that. Nice job.

Thanks! IMO, relic means "worn" not "beat up." It's easy to get carried away while doing it. I've seen some relics where the hardware was overly tarnished as well.

• Members

That looks cool. I don't understand why you took the logo off however... But it looks nice all the same. You should drill in the pickguard screw holes to give it that Jaco look.

• Members

That looks cool. I don't understand why you took the logo off however... But it looks nice all the same. You should drill in the pickguard screw holes to give it that Jaco look.

To darken the neck like I wanted, I had to take it off. Plus, half of the logo was poorly sanded-off when I bought the neck. I had to sand on it more than I like. Generally, enough rubbing with Acetone takes the logo and the finish off enough to darken. I used shoe polish with mineral spirits to darken the neck--works better than any stain IMO.

• Members

Looks good!

I unintentionally relic'd my own Squire VM fretless by fumbling it.

BTW, when I was refinishing my MIM j-bass, I put the mim neck on the Squire VM so I could have a 4-string slap bass. Anyway, I ended up with large gaps around the neck in the pocket (also, the Squire VM neck wouldn't fit at all in the MIM body). Looks like yours fits pretty good.

• Members

I don't like relics either but yours is my fave so far. It doesn't look overdone. I think it would be cool if you put the logo back on but scratched it up a bit.

I'll try that shoe polish to darken the neck. I just put a new neck on my jazz and it doesn't look right at all. Any certain kind?

what bass is that anyway? It looks a squire 70's modified fretless jazz with a new neck.

• Members

I don't like relics either but yours is my fave so far. It doesn't look overdone. I think it would be cool if you put the logo back on but scratched it up a bit.

I'll try that shoe polish to darken the neck. I just put a new neck on my jazz and it doesn't look right at all. Any certain kind?

what bass is that anyway? It looks a squire 70's modified fretless jazz with a new neck.

Yep, it's all Squire. Started as fretless version, but I just never played it. I thought I would, but rarely touched it. My daughter kept knocking it over, so it started to get banged up anyway. The chip in the top horn is a real ding! LOL! So, I decided to relic it vs. selling it. I sold the neck and searched for a lefty precision neck for a long time. I was too cheap to spend the money for a nice neck, so ended up getting a standard precision Squire neck. The neck fits VERY tightly. I chose another Squire neck specifically in hopes that it would fit better than another F-style neck. Hmmmmm...I could put a roughed-up logo on it. My first thoughts were to put my own logo on it, but decided to not put one on it at all.

Overall, I wanted the relic to be subtle and tasteful. Your comments make me feel good--in that, I didn't go extreme. I have some more work to do it to make it look better, but for now it functional. I had a blast playing it today with the flats on it.

Archived