NBD-I joined the Rev club again!

sunburstbasser

• Members

Just like the title says, I've just acquired another one. This one is a black 5er that is literally the brother to my white four stringer. Both came into the dealer on the same day ~8 years ago, and are consecutive serial numbers! My old one is 2491, this is 2490. Better yet, it was bought by a guitarist who wanted a black Reverend to match his black Reverend guitar, but it was only ever played about three dozen times, as he said.

This is nearly a brand new Reverend; I think it actually still has the original strings. And unlike mine, there is absolutely zero wear on it anywhere. No scuffs, scratches, dings, even the frets are in perfect shape.

HPIM0111.jpg?t=1249930206

HPIM0112.jpg?t=1249930241

HPIM0113.jpg?t=1249930260

• Members

Just like the title says, I've just acquired another one. This one is a black 5er that is literally the brother to my white four stringer. Both came into the dealer on the same day ~8 years ago, and are consecutive serial numbers! My old one is 2491, this is 2490. Better yet, it was bought by a guitarist who wanted a black Reverend to match his black Reverend guitar, but it was only ever played about three dozen times, as he said.

This is nearly a brand new Reverend; I think it actually still has the original strings. And unlike mine, there is absolutely zero wear on it anywhere. No scuffs, scratches, dings, even the frets are in perfect shape.

HPIM0111.jpg

HPIM0112.jpg

HPIM0113.jpg

:love::thu:

• Members

VERY cool SBB, consecutive numbers even! Nice score.:evil:

nice bass! Looks like it'd be an interesting 5er. I wonder how the Jazz pickups sound mounted like that

They sound absolutely, terrifyingly bad-ass.:evil:

edit: The pups are wired up in a way that makes them more of a really big humbucker than two jazz pups. Think of it as a single H bass and it makes more sense.

• Members

VERY cool SBB, consecutive numbers even! Nice score.
:evil:

They sound absolutely, terrifyingly bad-ass.
:evil:

edit: The pups are wired up in a way that makes them more of a really big humbucker than two jazz pups. Think of it as a single H bass and it makes more sense.

Oh cool. So how would you compare it to a single H like a Stingray? That sounds pretty neat- what do the controls on the bass do? Is it active?

• Members

Oh cool. So how would you compare it to a single H like a Stingray? That sounds pretty neat- what do the controls on the bass do? Is it active?

No, it definitely doesn't sound like a Stingray. It's a semi-hollow bass with a piece of White Mahogany inside the body.

IIRC, the controls are Volume and Tone, and the switch is 3-way for Series, Parallel, and Neck Pickup Only.

• Members

You've got the controls right. Having a J wired in series is a unique sound that is a long way from most humbuckers. Ever played a Fender J with the S1 switch? Thats what it does. Takes a J tone, and gives it a HUGE boost in the low mids. In parallel mode, my 4-stringer has the big sound that a really good Jazz has along with the growl. Passive Lakland basses are the closest substitute I've found; nothing in Fender's lineup is the same.

Notice how in a loud band a Jazz gets lost in the mix? The Reverend isn't too bad in parallel, but in series it dominates any mix.

The only thing that was "off" about it was that it wasn't tuned properly when I brought it home. The guy I bought it from figured the B string went on TOP! EADGB. Sad, and its no wonder he couldn't play it. But after loosening the strings the neck straightened out perfectly, a testament to the quality these beasts were built with. I haven't plugged it in yet, not counting when it was in the store years ago. Unplugged it sounds great already!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Archived