what do you do with your right thumb?

adamgram

• Members

I've been playing guitar for 15 years or so now, occasionally playing the bass when I was younger, then hardly at all for the past 10 years or so until recently when I joined a band that needed a bass player. I'm liking it a lot so far.

Anyway, my right thumb keeps getting in my way when I'm playing on the low E string. I tend to rest it on the E string when I'm playing the higher strings, but when I get lower I have to switch positions. Just wondering what other people do, if resting on the E string is inadvisable cause you can't do it on the low notes, or if there's anything else I haven't thought of.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use my right hand thumb on the e or a to mute when on the higher strings... My left thumb is usually pointed at the headstock just off center on the back of the neck, on the treble side..

I do on ocasion wrap my thumb arround to the e for a fretting but never to mute.

Don't know if any of that is proper but it works best for me.

• Members

Depending on which bass I'm playing and where my right hand is at (near the bridge, near the neck, or somewhere in between), my thumb moves from the E string to the top of a pickup, the edge of the neck, or hovers above the E string with the tip on the body of the bass.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had to go pick up a bass and watch my hand to see what my thumb does. Keep playing and it won't be long before your fingers figure out what they're supposed to do.

• Members

With my P-bass, I find it takes a bit of getting used to but resting your thumb on the pickup is the best way to go. But yeah, it starts out feeling quite awkward.

I disagree with this, and strongly recommend letting the thumb "float".

Playing the E string, thumb doesn't rest on anything. Keep it loose.

Playing the A string, thumb on E string.

Playing D and G strings, thumb on A string, while the side of the thumb also mutes the E string.

If you do this, you can keep a more consistent positioning for the fingers to the strings. Also, the thumb can be more relaxed. And you will never need to worry about keeping the E and A strings quiet when playing the higher strings.

• Members

I disagree with this. I LOVE resting my thumb on my P when I play the E. The rest I do agree with and move the thumb as I get higher. Unless I plan on playing fast and then I just mute with the left hand or wrist

• Members

I disagree with this. I LOVE resting my thumb on my P when I play the E. The rest I do agree with and move the thumb as I get higher. Unless I plan on playing fast and then I just mute with the left hand or wrist

The round part with the screw hole sticks out too much for it to be comfortable to me. But I play by the neck so that's not a problem

• Members

There is a style of playing called "floating thumb" where you do this, but you have to make sure you're not resting it on the E the entire time. It's supposed to follow your plucking fingers up/down the strings. If you're going to use a an anchor, just use the pickup and stay off the strings.

• Members

Playing D and G strings, thumb on A string, while the side of the thumb also mutes the E string.

If you do this, you can keep a more consistent positioning for the fingers to the strings. Also, the thumb can be more relaxed. And you will never need to worry about keeping the E and A strings quiet when playing the higher strings.

thats what I do.....a moveable mute

• Members

Can't remember where I saw it, but some bass honcho advocated the thumb moving to the A only when you were playing on the G, i.e., always two strings apart.

That doesn't work for me when playing faster passages that jump back and forth between D and G strings, but, well... ;)

Archived