Best Jobs in America

Thunderbroom

• Members
I have two sisters teaching junior high and high school that make more.
:facepalm:

I don't doubt that at all. There's more to a job than money. One of the key elements to my job that I like is the ability to make my own schedule. I'm at home right now instead of in the office. A K-12 teacher does not have the option (I don't think) to have a schedule like I do.

And Perf...those WW workers don't have Summers off either.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Man, SEs and NEs are on that list?
:freak:
I didn't much enjoy my time as a Systems Engineer... 24/7 on-call and {censored} hitting the fan at inopportune times. Wasn't fun.

I wondered about that too. System Engineer is such a broad term, its like saying Government Employee :)

• Members
And Perf...those WW workers don't have Summers off either.

I'm above 5 of the median incomes on that list, love my job (most days), have 3 and 4 day weekends every week, excellent benefits, and 5 plus weeks of vacation so I guess wastewater ain't all that {censored}ty.:idk:

• Members

... is not mine.

I just found out that one of the guys in our Shipping department earns basically the same as me, and he's been here almost 3 years less.

His job is double checking orders that others picked and then putting them in a large box for shipping. He doesn't even put shipping labels on them, or pick them in the first place.

Mine? Yeah, I do a lot, it's well documented here. :facepalm:

• Members
... is not mine.

I just found out that one of the guys in our Shipping department earns basically the same as me, and he's been here almost 3 years less.

His job is double checking orders that others picked and then putting them in a large box for shipping. He doesn't even put shipping labels on them, or pick them in the first place.

Mine? Yeah, I do a lot, it's well documented here.
:facepalm:

Canadian jobs don't count... :cop:

• Members
Man, SEs and NEs are on that list?
:freak:
I didn't much enjoy my time as a Systems Engineer... 24/7 on-call and {censored} hitting the fan at inopportune times. Wasn't fun.

it's all a matter of aptitude (or realistic on-call schedules) I guess... I live for putting out fires :thu:

• Members
it's all a matter of aptitude (or realistic on-call schedules) I guess... I live for putting out fires
:thu:

True. The other day my boss asked us all what motivates us. I said building new stuff for the interwebz & another co-worker said fixing stuff on the interwebz. :lol: People are strange.

• Members
True. The other day my boss asked us all what motivates us. I said building new stuff for the interwebz & another co-worker said fixing stuff on the interwebz.
:lol:
People are strange.

Ya gotta really like what you do, because regardless of schedules, salary, benefits, we spend a huge chunk of our time at work. For me, my schedule sucks huge balls, but what I do is amazing to me. That keeps me here, and is worth it even if it means I can't find a regular band because of scheduling. I couldn't stay in any job if I really didn't like what I was doing, even if it meant some extra lifestyle benefits.

• Members
True. The other day my boss asked us all what motivates us. I said building new stuff for the interwebz & another co-worker said fixing stuff on the interwebz.
:lol:
People are strange.

Sounds like you are more geared towards Dev than Production Support... my employer has it's work force split up pretty nicely. Web Dev does just what you like while the Web Support team just implements and fixes the production stuff... Sys-Ops just builds and troubleshoots the hardware and OS while Sys-Dev writes and betas apps... DB does all the MySQL and Oracle builds and repairs... etc etc etc

• Members

Ya gotta really like what you do, because regardless of schedules, salary, benefits, we spend a huge chunk of our time at work. For me, my schedule sucks huge balls, but what I do is amazing to me. That keeps me here, and is worth it even if it means I can't find a regular band because of scheduling. I couldn't stay in any job if I really didn't like what I was doing, even if it meant some extra lifestyle benefits.

which brings us back to BOALG-style pimp.

• Members

Sounds like you are more geared towards Dev than Production Support... my employer has it's work force split up pretty nicely. Web Dev does just what you like while the Web Support team just implements and fixes the production stuff... Sys-Ops just builds and troubleshoots the hardware and OS while Sys-Dev writes and betas apps... DB does all the MySQL and Oracle builds and repairs... etc etc etc

Yeah, I quit the systems stuff a few years ago, went into web design, and have gradually moved towards development ever since. I dig it, but still have a lot to learn on the server side.

Archived