The Bush Doctrine strikes back.

philthygeezer

• Moderators

...except the proposed missile shield was not intended to stop Russian missiles. It couldn't, in fact, since the launch corridors for Russian ICBM against the USA are over the North Pole (which is why your missile launch detection radar are in Alaska)

:facepalm:

That's irrelevant. The Russians didn't want them to be placed. If the Russian military was in such a state of disrepair, as the poster suggested, there would be no reason to give 2 cents about Russia's position and then subsequently reverse our course with the shield.;)

• Members
That's irrelevant. The Russians didn't want them to be placed. If the Russian military was in such a state of disrepair, as the poster suggested, there would be no reason to give 2 cents about Russia's position and then subsequently reverse our course with the shield.
;)

Are you suggesting that the decision to not go ahead with the missile shield was based on Russia's opposition to it, rather than the fact that it was expensive and unnecessary, and probably wouldn't have worked very well in any case?

I agree with you that the OP is hardly news - Russia said pretty much the same thing last year (which may help explain why the majority of Poles were opposed to the missile shield)

• Members
That's irrelevant. The Russians didn't want them to be placed. If the Russian military was in such a state of disrepair, as the poster suggested, there would be no reason to give 2 cents about Russia's position and then subsequently reverse our course with the shield.
;)

The 2 cents given had nothing what-so-ever to do with the Russian Military
whether it's in disrepair or ready to rock. It was all about Russian cooperation & support for sanctions against Iran. The reverse course on the shield was their price.

• Moderators
Are you suggesting that the decision to not go ahead with the missile shield was based on Russia's opposition to it, rather than the fact that it was expensive and unnecessary, and probably wouldn't have worked very well in any case?

I'm suggesting the Russian military isn't rusting out nor is it in a state of disrepair. That much was stated rather clearly.;)

• Moderators
The 2 cents given had nothing what-so-ever to do with the Russian Military

whether it's in disrepair or ready to rock. It was all about Russian cooperation & support for sanctions against Iran. The reverse course on the shield was their price.

If the Russians can't afford to pay their military personnel, and their equipment is sitting there rusting out, there is little to no need for Russian cooperation.

• Members

You're joking, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfessor

Russia has a 10 year supply of oil.

You're joking, right?

Quote:

Russia holds the world's largest natural gas reserves, the second largest coal reserves, and the eighth largest oil reserves. Russia is also the world's largest exporter of natural gas, the second largest oil exporter and the third largest energy consumer.

That Oil Revenue isn't translating very well into Russian Prosperity

Expecting 13% unemployment, 37 million people living in poverty...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/world/europe/31russia.html

By most accounts that I can find, the military isn't fairing all that well either

http://www.cdi.org/Russia/johnson/2009-62-30.cfm#

http://www.iiss.org/whats-new/iiss-in-the-press/january-2009/russian-military-a-paper-tiger-despite-symbolic-comeback-says-iiss/

• Moderators

By most accounts that I can find, the military isn't fairing all that well either

http://www.cdi.org/Russia/johnson/2009-62-30.cfm#

http://www.iiss.org/whats-new/iiss-in-the-press/january-2009/russian-military-a-paper-tiger-despite-symbolic-comeback-says-iiss/

Well lessee-

The Russian military will spend a total of some 5 trillion rubles
(US$189 billion) between 2007-2015 to replace 45 percent of its current arsenal with new weaponry systems ranging from submarine-launched ballistic missiles to new aircraft carriers for deep-water missions, in what reflects the country's resurgence as a global player........

Russia's defense budget has been growing steadily thanks to economic growth fuelled by high oil prices and a consumer boom. As a result of the surge in federal budget revenues, the Defense Ministry quadrupled its budget from 214 billion rubles in 2001 to 821 billion this year.

Yeah. It really sounds as if everything has been rusting out and nobody is getting paid these days. :lol:

• Moderators

Oh, and your point about fossil fuel exports is very relevant.

If Russia wanted to inconvenience Europe, they wouldn't need expensive nukes. In fact it would go something like this:

MEDVEDEV: Comrades, switch off the gas valves...!

EUROPE: Oh bollocks...

I agree. That's pretty significant influence for a country where supposedly "the once mighty Russian Navy lies rusting in Murmansk harbor. Russian soldiers don't even enjoy regular paydays. Russia's nuclear arsonal is approaching 50 years old and like everything else has been starved by shortages, budget cuts and decades of neglect." :)

• Members

@ Thud, RE: Russian military- That article is dated 12FEB2007.

Just sayin, things MAY have changed a bit since oil was at it's historic high. An interestign article on the subject HERE. This site tends to be very "rah rah military" but I've found their articles to be generally well researched. Sometimes they scoop "official" channels...

If you look at thier conventional forces performance in Georgia, it wasn't terribly impressive, but they threw a lot at it. Right Now (2009) Russia does not have the conventional military ability to project force beyond it's very near abroad, but it DOES have the unconventional/ Nuclear capability to do a great deal of damage to anyone dumb enough to attack Russia directly.

Their ability to manipulate the EU through natural resources is the far more potent and usable stick in thier arsenal right now.

• Moderators
@ Thud, RE: Russian military- That article is dated 12FEB2007.

Just sayin, things MAY have changed a bit since oil was at it's historic high.

If you look at thier conventional forces performance in Georgia, it wasn't terribly impressive, but they threw a lot of ow (2009) Russia does not have the conventional military ability to prject force beyond it's very near abroad, but it DOES have the unconventional/ Nuclear capability to do a great deal of damage to anyone dumb enough to attack Russia directly.

Their ability to manipulate the EU through natural resources is the far more potent and usable stick in thier arsenal right now.

I haven't made the claim that that you are suggesting I am. As a matter of fact your mention of "it DOES have the unconventional/ Nuclear capability to do a great deal of damage to anyone dumb enough to attack Russia directly" is quite helpful.;)

• Moderators
Let's not kid ourselves:

The only people that truly know the capability of the Russian Military are not authorized to speak regarding this.

So people aren't authorized to speak as to whether or not Russian military personnel get a paycheck on a regular basis?

• Members

So people aren't authorized to speak as to whether or not Russian military personnel get a paycheck on a regular basis?

No military analyst in his right mind is going to believe this bull{censored}.

The trick is sifting out fact from fiction from these public statements and leaks.

The real analysis occurs in a much more clandestine fashion.

There's what the public "knows", and there's what the "agency" knows: 2 completely different things.

I've got some indirect experience with how this works: my dad was a high ranking DEA employee (SAC, to be precise).

You wouldn't believe the disparity in some cases as to what the public "knows" and what the government knows.

• Members
You wouldn't believe the disparity in some cases as to what the public "knows" and what the government knows.

To the contrary, it's what I do for a living :) Not Russian analysis, but other stuff. I have a pretty good idea what the insiders know, and can fact check myself before I make eroneous (military/international political) assertions. In most other areas, I'm subject tot eh same info stream as most.

• Moderators
There's what the public "knows", and there's what the "agency" knows: 2 completely different things.

The public doesn't need anything more than common sense. Is the Russia of today the same Russia when the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991? Highly doubtful. If they were still completely in the crapper as they were back then, they may not have become a member of the G8. Since that's the case, would it be common sense that perhaps almost 20 years after the total collapse of the Soviet Union, Russian soldiers might actually be receiving a regular paycheck?;)

Archived