Now that I'm taking lessons

Thunderbroom

• Members

Probably not.

I kinda hope you're right.

As part of our move to Chicago, I'm going to start liquidating my gear...drums...PA gear...lighting. I should bank some decent $$ overall. Since this is "my" money, I can do what I want with it. The smart thing is to save it, but who knows what I'll actually do with it.

• Moderators
I kinda hope you're right.

As part of our move to Chicago, I'm going to start liquidating my gear...drums...PA gear...lighting. I should bank some decent $$ overall. Since this is "my" money, I can do what I want with it. The smart thing is to save it, but who knows what I'll actually do with it.

I don't think you'll feel the need to spend. You might have a better idea of why you like what you like. :idk:

• Members
... this will affect how I view my gear (basses/amps/cabs)?

Yes, it will. You need to sell me that old, nearly useless G-B 2x12. You will thank me later.

:)

I really wouldn't think it would change your tastes. You might see something your teacher has that is useful, but that should be about all.

• Members

I think getting better as a bassist and wanting better gear goes hand in hand.

It does, I think it can be more elaborately explained as:

you get better -> playing is more fun to you -> you play more -> you spend more time with your gear -> you want better gear

• Members

I never realized how hard it would be for me to break old habits. I've got terrible left-hand technique and working to correct it is challenging. I do see the benefit in making the correction though as my notes will sound better as a result.

On a brighter note, I had some more sight reading thrown at me and I did pretty well with it.

• Members
I never realized how hard it would be for me to break old habits. I've got terrible left-hand technique and working to correct it is challenging. I do see the benefit in making the correction though as my notes will sound better as a result.

Glad to see you say this. Way back in the day you used to say here, that whatever works is fine, that there are no ways that are better than others to play the bass. It's good to see that you have learned that technique does indeed matter, and even though there are no absolutes, there are good techniques and there are very poor techniques. And as you say, it's really hard to break old bad technique habits. Not trying to bust your balls, but you were told!;)

• Members
But bust my balls you are.

Maybe. :D Still, I'm glad to see your mindset progress since then. Learning the right way to play will free you up to reach your potential. Without it, you're essentially dragging a boat anchor around. But you know that...

...now.

;)

• Members

;)

And I'm gigging regularly with two bands.

:p

I knew that I needed lessons years ago but didn't want to make the time. I'm now making the time, as I've hit a wall (or dragging an anchor) in my playing. I could certainly continue to get by, but I want to do more than get by. I've always lived by my own time table and my own rules. The time is now. Had I started with lessons and not been gigging all this time, I would have likely given up playing bass.

;)

Archived