Playing hiatus: what to do?

philthygeezer

• Members

I haven't picked up a bass in months, and I'm considering a large ebay blowout just keeping the bare minimum behind.

Ever do this? Regrets? Advice?

i've done the gear purge thing a couple of times. it's a great thing to get you out of a rut if you can sell your equipment for what it's worth. it's the "kicking-yourself-in-the-ass-for-selling-cool-stuff-a-couple-of-years-down-the-road" part of it that sucks :)

• Members

i've done the gear purge thing a couple of times. it's a great thing to get you out of a rut if you can sell your equipment for what it's worth. it's the "kicking-yourself-in-the-ass-for-selling-cool-stuff-a-couple-of-years-down-the-road" part of it that sucks
:)

This is what scares me. It took years of shopping to run across the beautiful things I have at decent prices, and it seems like prices will only go up as quality goes down. However, I've got more than a man who bedroom noodles should have, and the cases are taking up space that could be used to live in.

• Members

This is what scares me. It took years of shopping to run across the beautiful things I have at decent prices, and it seems like prices will only go up as quality goes down. However, I've got more than a man who bedroom noodles should have, and the cases are taking up space that could be used to live in.

i don't know man.after i decided to quit gigging i had kind of the same ideas but, the fact of the matter is that i'll always be a musician and i enjoy having lots of tonal options when i want them.

the majority of my cases are now in the basement and i have 10 wallhangers to free up floor space. it all comes down to whether or not you like the stuff you have enough to offset the pain in the ass of the clutter.

• Members

I haven't picked up a bass in months, and I'm considering a large ebay blowout just keeping the bare minimum behind.

Don't do it. I stopped playing for 5 years, got rid of some stuff. I really regret it, now that I got back into playing again

• Members

I did it a few times. Had tons of gear, sold most and basically quit for the better part of a decade. Then bought more, eventually got back in to playing and am now going through a little bit of a gear purge again, but more for financial needs, I am trying to get myself into a class that could lead to a much better career so am willingly accepting the sacrifice this time around.

I guess the blow is lessened a little by the fact that I rarely play much these days, when I do it's bass only and I don't use anything but my 50 watt practice amp ever. I haven't been on a stage in 11 years, am not going to be in a band in any foreseeable future, so I don't really need 3 heads, 2 cabs and 4 basses. :lol:

I picked up the acoustic guitar today for the first time in well over a year, first real time trying to do anything serious on a guitar at all in ages for that matter.

I came to learn that my skills have fallen FAR worse than I ever imagined. I can't even tune a guitar by ear anymore. I used an electric to give me the first reference note, tuned the other 5 by ear (harmonics, 5th fret with open string, etc). Once it was in tune, I strummed a simple G chord... yeah, not so in tune after all. Ten years ago I practically lived in a tour bus, worked as a guitar tech for major label artists. Now? I can't even tune a guitar anymore without completely relying on a tuner. A part of my died inside.

We're it not for the sentimental attachment (and complete lack of value) I'd probably sell the electric too. I think as of today I am officially no longer acknowledging myself as a legitimate musician, I'm just some guy who happens to own some gear now. :cry:

• Members

Yup, I did it during a 10 year hiatus from gigging, and parted with some gear I really wish I still had - here's some of what I sold, and what I sold it for:

'71 tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard - $1k

'69 ES-335 - $750

'70 Marshall 100w SuperLead & matching slant 412 - $600

mid-70's Twin Reverb - $400

RD Artist - $300

At the time, those were all "decent" selling prices, and I made plenty of money with all that gear - so, none of it "owed" me anything... However, I wish I had ALL of it back, now - and what do you think some of that stuff is worth currently???

I'd say if you absolutely feel the need, only sell stuff that you aren't all that attached to, or than can be easily replaced...

- georgestrings

• Members

I did it a few times. Had tons of gear, sold most and basically quit for the better part of a decade. Then bought more, eventually got back in to playing and am now going through a little bit of a gear purge again, but more for financial needs, I am trying to get myself into a class that could lead to a much better career so am willingly accepting the sacrifice this time around.

I guess the blow is lessened a little by the fact that I rarely play much these days, when I do it's bass only and I don't use anything but my 50 watt practice amp ever. I haven't been on a stage in 11 years, am not going to be in a band in any foreseeable future, so I don't really need 3 heads, 2 cabs and 4 basses.
:lol:

I picked up the acoustic guitar today for the first time in well over a year, first real time trying to do anything serious on a guitar at all in ages for that matter.

I came to learn that my skills have fallen FAR worse than I ever imagined. I can't even tune a guitar by ear anymore. I used an electric to give me the first reference note, tuned the other 5 by ear (harmonics, 5th fret with open string, etc). Once it was in tune, I strummed a simple G chord... yeah, not so in tune after all. Ten years ago I practically lived in a tour bus, worked as a guitar tech for major label artists. Now? I can't even tune a guitar anymore without completely relying on a tuner. A part of my died inside.

We're it not for the sentimental attachment (and complete lack of value) I'd probably sell the electric too. I think as of today I am officially no longer acknowledging myself as a legitimate musician, I'm just some guy who happens to own some gear now.
:cry:

I never really did play anything. I guess the hobby never blossomed for me. I just sit in front of the computer with GuitarPro once a month and noodle. Learned a couple of songs and traded a lot of gear.

I used to think when I had time to spare I'd pick it up and roll with it. That didn't happen even when I had the time. Still love to noodle, and maybe I'll be one of those guys who comes out for open mic night in the next decade...

• Members

I'd say if you absolutely feel the need, only sell stuff that you aren't all that attached to, or than can be easily replaced...

- georgestrings

That was nice gear, but at least there's some consolation that you got what it was worth.

There's only one that I'd sell for sure. Two others are nyaaaa I dunno I might like to keep those and the remainder after that are hell no. I've only got one guitar and one amp so that part is solved at least.

Basses are so different though. How do you decide between a Bongo, a 2 band Stingray 4, a Fender PJ, a SUB5 fretless and a Warmoth Jazz? They are all awesome and they all sound different.

• Members

How do you decide between a Bongo, a 2 band Stingray 4, a Fender PJ, a SUB5 fretless and a Warmoth Jazz? They are all awesome and they all sound different.

That is a hard choice.

I would get rid of the bongo. Because they are but ugly ( My opinion ,I know)

I would def keep the PJ and get rid of the jazz, you have to have a P in your collection and a PJ can get closer to a jazz sound then a jazz can get a P sound.

It's always good to have a fretless,

Then there is the stingray . I'm gassing for one of those so I say keep.

If I had to choose just one I would say PJ though

• Members

There's only one that I'd sell for sure. Two others are nyaaaa I dunno I might like to keep those and the remainder after that are hell no.

Basses are so different though. How do you decide between a Bongo, a 2 band Stingray 4, a Fender PJ, a SUB5 fretless and a Warmoth Jazz? They are all awesome and they all sound different.

Simple. Sell what you're certain you don't want. Keep the rest until you've achieved clarity of decision.

Of the ones you mention, I'd ditch the Bongo and look hard at the Warmoth, unless it's got your preferred Jazz tone nailed. The rest I personally would keep. If I had to pare that list down to one bass, it would be the PJ.

If I were georgestrings, I'd still be crying over selling the 335 and the Twin Reverb. ;)

• Members

Things I wish I had never sold.

1971 Fender Precision Fretless that I modified.

Acoustic 301 bass cabinet.

The other stuff I don't miss.

Acoustic 136 bass amp

Montgomery ward bass cabinet

Altec Lansing 35 watt PA

Ace Tone organ

Heathkit TA-25 guitar amp

Electrovoice variable D mic

Cerwin-Vega 18" bass bin. (sub woofer, I think.)

Plush 100 watt tube bass head

Things I should get rid of now

Gibson Grabber bass

Kustom (early Kustom by Ross) PA speakers. horn and 2-15" Jensens in each cabinet.

Hammond M3 organ that needs a new amp. (Probably just the transformer. Tonewheel assembly works fine.)

Mackie CFX-12 mixer

825 Leslie

Even if I get rid of all that stuff, I've got a lot of stuff left. 2 basses, 3 keyboards, decent PA. trailer and van.....

• Members

Sometimes if you get too much gear it just gets in the way of playing. Keep your best bass, your best amp and maybe a pedal or two and ditch the rest. Get back to basics. Also, while you're not playing listen to a boat load of music so that you'll get inspired to play again. Then when you do get back into the swing of things you'll have lots of stuff to practice playing.

• Members

I just went through this too. I retired from the band scene. I was happy with three of my basses so I kept those and sold the others. I kept a combo for practice at home and a stage rig. The stage rig in case I decide to get back into playing. It's gear that took me years of trying different things to find a sound that I was happy with so I couldn't part with it. If after 5 years or so I haven't gotten the urge to gig again more of it will probably go. Hell by that time I'll be in my 60's so my gigging time will be up anyway.

Archived