Can someone explain the "Fender Tone Stack"?

zachoff

• Members

Can't find my old Bassman threads (I can only view 13 pages back for some reason). :confused:

Anyway, finally practiced with it and I f'ing love it! Even did the bridging thing between the two channels and it sounded even awesomer! Paired with the 2x15, it's plenty loud... My guitar player has a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a 4x10 and he actually had to turn up a bit to keep up with the Bassman's breaking point. Pretty cool!

Anyway, I'm wondering about the EQing. Seems like it doesn't EQ like I'm used to and I remember someone saying that "flat" was 10-2-10 or something like that? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Gracias.

• Members

No idea about it but for viewing threads it sounds like your filter is on threads in the last 10 days. Scroll down to the bottom of the main bass forum page and beside the list of usernames you'll see the setting. Change the period.

Yes, thank you!

• Members

Anyway, I'm wondering about the EQing. Seems like it doesn't EQ like I'm used to and I remember someone saying that "flat" was 10-2-10 or something like that? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

"Flat" is actually 2-10-2. It's a passive tone circuit with boost only, which is why having the mids on 10 is "flat". The tone controls interact with each other in a way that is not immediately intuitive, so if you boost the bass for example, you'll need to tweak the mids and treble controls. Once you've played around with it for a while, you'll get the hang of it.

• Members

"Flat" is actually 2-10-2. It's a passive tone circuit with boost only, which is why having the mids on 10 is "flat". The tone controls interact with each other in a way that is not immediately intuitive, so if you boost the bass for example, you'll need to tweak the mids and treble controls. Once you've played around with it for a while, you'll get the hang of it.

I thought a passive circuit could only cut, meaning that it's 10-10-10 for "flat," But the amp was designed with an EQ curve in it, that brought the actual flat tone back to around 2-10-2.

I'd think you of all people would know about passive circuits that claim to boost, when it's really impossible, they in fact cut most things off the start, giving the impression of boost from there.

• Members

I thought a passive circuit could only cut, meaning that it's 10-10-10 for "flat," But the amp was designed with an EQ curve in it, that brought the actual flat
tone
back to around 2-10-2.

Yes, my mistake, should have typed "cut" instead of "boost" (wasn't concentrating enough while typing the reply). But, on the Bassman/Showman amps and Alembic preamps, "flat" is definitely 2-10-2.

• Members

I thought on old Fender stuff "flat" was 0-10-0
:confused:

I believe you are correct. If I understand it right, the midrange control on the Fender tone stack is cut only. Therefore anything less than 10 (or all the way up) equals some degree of cut. The bass and treble controls on the other hand are boost only. Therefore anything greater than 0 (or all the way down) equals some degree of boost. Ergo, the only way to get a flat setting out of the Fender tone stack is 0-10-0. This is also why you can't get a screaming midrange tone (aka Marshall) out of a Fender amp. There's no way to boost the midrange higher than the bass and treble.

• Members

I thought a passive circuit could only cut, meaning that it's 10-10-10 for "flat," But the amp was designed with an EQ curve in it, that brought the actual flat
tone
back to around 2-10-2.

I'd think you of all people would know about passive circuits that claim to boost, when it's really impossible, they in fact cut most things off the start, giving the impression of boost from there.

Bit off the thread topic but just had to say

I found this passive circuit that can boost . But it sucks a lot of vol and needs a make up stage.

I use it when I make pedals. It's awesome:thu:

• Members

Wow, that's funny Kindness. 7/7/4 is very very close to where I run my PB-1 a lot of the time (with a little boost @ 150hz from the parametric). :) Can't say enough good things about that pre - nice classic fender stack with a fully parametric eq goes a long way for bass. Pretty much all the way. It's a lot easier to get a good sound out of it than my HBP-1 for sure.

• Members

I remember my old MMHD150. You could hook it up, turn it on, turn the volume up, turn HIGH-MID-LOW to zero, and you got no sound. Nothing. Nada. Since you had cut all frequencies to zero, that is what you got - zero. You had to dial in some number in order to get some sound. Very cool!

I seem to remember 2-10-2 as being flat on the Fender.

Archived