Musicman Fans

Thunderbroom

• Members

I can tell you the Bongo is a beast, you want smooth and deep, you got it, you want bite you got it,and if you want that in your face bass look no further. This bass can get that classic MM sound, but it's not why you get this bass, and I know most people think it is great for metal, but I play Neo Soul, R&B, Jazz, and Classic Rock. This bass goes from At Last to Smoke on the water, without a hick-up.

• Members
What are the differences between the StingRay and the Sterling?

Answer

The StingRay is more of a traditional bass with active electronics that gives players a great all-around feel and sound. It is great for any style of music.

The Sterling is a sleeker, lighter bass than the StingRay. It has a thinner neck and smaller body. The 3-way switch offers more tonal varieties, and the phantom coil offers a single-coil sound without noise.

Now both are available in dual-pickup versions. On those models, the 5-way switch functions are the same, but the main properties of each bass, including the electronics, remain different from each other.

StingRay 5 specs

Sterling 5 specs

Since I'm shopping, too. :wave:

• Members

Electronics:

Stingray: Alinco Pickups 9v 3 band or 2 band EQ, dual models have a 5 way switch

Sterling: Ceramic Pickups 9v 3 band with series/parallel/single coil switch (single H Only), dual models have a 5 way switch

Bongo: Neodymium 18v 4 band EQ, 18v 3 band EQ for the single H, Dual models have a blend knob

Neck:

Stingray: 1 5/8" at the nut, 21 frets

Sterling: Narrow Jazz width neck 1 1/2" at the nut, 22 frets

Bongo: 1-5/8" but a slimmer profile than the Ray, with kind of a c shape profile, 24 frets

Body:

Stingray: Full size, mainly ash, 13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long

Sterling: Slimmer, mainly ash, 12-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 43-7/8" long

Bongo: Very sculpted, good ergonomics, Basswood, 12-3/4" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 46" long

Sound:

Stingray: Classic

Sterling: More agressive version of a Stingray

Bongo: Anywhere from deep and smooth to in your face punchy.

That sums it up for the 4 string models

• Members
It appears that the Dargie fretless only comes with fretlines. I never understood the idea behind fretlines.

Oh well. I'm leaning towards a Bongo when I pull the trigger:

10-08-09-Bongo-4-HH-Dargie-Delight-II-fu

Green is my favorite color and the color changing is the bomb.

Bongos are {censored}ing ugly. Probably one of the ugliest goddamn basses ever made. I don't care if they sound wonderful, they rape my eyes without lube anytime I look at one.

having said that, I have a secret compartment in my heart for the lime green ones, as well as the martini editions

Archived